5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful
This is good for amateurs who want to achieve professional looking food pictures.
Lot of useful tips.
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by Sue

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was disappointed by this book. I am very interested in food photography and was anxiously waiting for my book. And then it came.

Published on 4 Mar 2011 by AugenBlicke-Fotografie

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: Food Styling for Photographers: A Guide to Creating Your Own Appetizing Art (Paperback)

First and worst: it looked cheap and boring. Not the book but the food presentation. The food stylist, Linda Bellingham, has worked for several fast food companies - and you can see it in her style. Everything looks a bit cheap. When I want to photograph food - and I am not a professional, just an enthusiastical amateur - I want my food & photos to look special and not like something you can buy in your next burger restaurant.

Second: The chapters were to specialized. ou can get some insight in how the actual food item was prepared but nothing more. Just endlessly repeated "You have to look for the perfect leaf of salad out of the two tons you have to choose from" and so on. Great. I can read and I am perfectly able to understand the principle behind it the first time I read it. it's no need to repeat this on and on and on...

i don't say it's totally useless but if you are a professional then you won't be able to learn much from this book. Just for fun - it's okay if you really go and try to copy the photos presented in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 22 Sep 2010
Lot of useful tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, 5 Nov 2011
This is the first, as I didn't know so I read the second one from the same author which is really great. This explain with more details some projects. I'm in one project now with Cold Beverage and is great how the author explain step by step. Photography world in Still Life/Food Photography is great and definitely if, Food Styling is your field, this is the book , too.
I'd recommned this book, is a great guide .

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Style, 8 Jun 2009
This is a really superb book.

Apart from going through the tricks of the trade of food styling there are also useful comments from the photographers' who photographed the final shot.

This book is only intended to be an introduction to the subject of food styling; the author is not intending to put herself out of a job. Nevertheless she gives more than enough to teach a jobbing photographer how to do great food pictures for a variety of clients and understand the needs of a professional food stylist should he/she be lucky enough to obtain a large corporate commission.

Excellent photographs supporting the text

A fantastic book well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you want out of the book, 9 Aug 2011
I bought this book because I have a strong interest in food photography. The book has some lovely photos and clear instructions, it's also nice to hear from the photographers who took the photos and to see the lighting setup for each photo. However I found it very disappointing to read that some of the foods used are not real. For example the ice cubes are plastic and the ice cream is not real ice cream. I want to photograph real honest food and make it look the best I can, not make use of plastic and artificial props - it all feels very deceitful. I somehow expected to see tips and tricks about photographing real edible food and when I discovered this was not the case I lost all interest in the book. I know this is probably how professionals create the photos but this method isn't for me. I have since sold the book and it's not a book I would consider purchasing again.

Food Styling for Photographers: A Guide to Creating Your Own Appetizing Art