3.0 out of 5 stars I found the tag line of build on basic actionscript syntax a little misleading, 17 Feb. 2008
T. Smith (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flash XML Applications: Use AS2 and AS3 to Create Photo Galleries, Menus, and Databases (Paperback)
The book primarily relies heavily on developing a real estate web site to introduce the various elements central to xml and databases, and while this grounds the process in a workable real world example it shouldn't be confused with a reference book.

I found the pace of this book to be a little too frantic for my skill level, too many processes are introduced in each section in quick succession, with constant references to 'we will return to this or that later', where a more measured and structured introduction to each section would have been more helpful.

Part of the difficulty I believe stems from the incorporation of AS3 and the implications this has for developing in AS2 (my current environment), which turns this book into a how to develop in xml and learn AS3 at the same time, it may be correct but the explanation of why it works better and why you should code a certain way just comes across as slightly confusing, AS3 developers may fare better having been through that learning process already.

If your comfortable using this book to the full you possibly don't need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstructured and ill thought out, 20 July 2008
Mr. Robert Cush (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first review I have ever written so I apologies if it seems a little short and not very well written, but I thought it was necessary in this case. I am an efficient ActionScript2 coder, with little knowledge of xml and bought this book to learn how to create dynamic websites using xml as a data source. Pretty much from the very beginning I found the book jumps around and does not make it clear what you are supposed to do and when. It leaves out basic instruction for example having to save class files with the same name as the class and it also lacks basic step by step instruction that are essential when trying to learn a new skills. It leaves you scratching your head and resorting to dissecting the resource files supplied on the CD.

If you are interested in learning how to use xml with flash I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere.