5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on audio mastering ever written
Published on 11 Sept. 2009 by R. Ludwig

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read But Too Many Needless Chapters
I bought this book around a year ago hoping to learn the "science behind mastering audi", and although this book does have some very interesting chapters, it seems to delve too greatly into the complete production of an audio CD.
I would book this book under the heading of informative rather then educational, and as such isnt really a tool for improving your...
Published on 22 Jan. 2013 by J. Atkins

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on audio mastering ever written, 11 Sept. 2009
R. Ludwig (Scarborough, ME United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
I get many requests from people to teach them about mastering. I don't have the time to do this except for visiting colleges and lecturing to groups. When I write people back to tell them I can't help them I ALWAYS give them a link to Professor Katz's book. It covers all the left-brain technical knowledge a good mastering engineer has to have 110% at their disposal so, when they are creating in the studio, the technical part does not become an impediment to the right-brain's creativity. I highly recommend this book.

Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering & DVD, Portland, Maine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know and more - Excellent!, 7 May 2010
A. Parsons (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
This is a must-read for anyone wishing to learn some essential tips and tricks as well as the fundamentals of mastering audio. I like Katz's style and found it easy to read (with some prior knowledge of the subject I must add) and learn't a lot of new stuff. It is very in-depth and covers all you need to about mastering audio!

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative., 8 May 2009
A. Deering (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
Without a doubt, this is a great book written by a great man. In my opinion it was a bit heavy going in places, but I stook with it and definitely learned a lot.

I am not a mastering engineer and I read this book from a mixing point of view. I found some of it very helpful and some of it not so. However, it is definitely very educational and in parts it made me cringe for some of my old university lecturers because after reading this, I realised how little they really knew about digital audio, but that's another story.

I would recommend this book for anyone working with audio, either as a hobby or professionally. It will correct many essential facts that you thought you knew about digital audio and if you're like me you'll discover that there were many holes in your knowledge and that what you thought was correct was actually not the best way to go about things at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for Mastering & mix engineers, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
I am thoroughly impressed with the depth that this book goes into. I am a mastering engineer and originally got it (besides the many other recommendations) as a reference for the more technical aspects of audio. However as well as giving me a boat load of information in this area it delves into mix area's delivers plenty of information on technique (as well as tools) and it is set out fantastically. Even when it goes into the more 'involved' area's it is still very easy to read and very hard to put down!

I recommend this to anyone involved in the audio world, a great resource for anyone involved in music and no excuse not to own a copy if you are a mastering engineer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Master! Master!, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
Couldn't resist a little Metallica there!!

As for the book itself, it's an easy to read handbook with clear presentation that manages to communicate to the less-physics-minded like myself. I disagree with Mr AJ Grant above, in that the book can be used by anyone with a DAW and app (Logic, Nuendo, Pro Tools etc.). You needn't have outboard gear to master your music. And, in fact, the principles within this book can help you:

1. master at home and get (at least) reasonable results

2. know what to look for when hiring mastering services

For #2, that's the price of the book saved, and a lot of tears and disappointment down the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's wrote by high level expert for specialists, 25 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
I needed this book to understand why some recordings sound very badly, what are the main qualities of good recorded sound. Why hypercompression is so widely used by some producers. We organized some experiments to understand what kind of sound quality listener prefers on live concerts. For us surprisingly - preferable sound level was statistically about 85 dBA, no dependence of age, gender, music experience, music style. This book helped me to organize my experiments. Of course it's very good learning material for sound engineers and producers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastering Audio Book, 8 May 2011
Mr. D. Tilley "Dave" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
I found this book very interesting and helpful, its easy to read and understand, except some of the techie stuff. I record my own music and have read a book on mixing, which has improved my sound greatly. This book on mastering is the cherry on the top and using the tips in this book has made my sound come alive. Also it takes you through how best to lay your tracks in order of play. All in all a good book and recommended for people wanting to improve there music sound etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference guide from an industry authority, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
ll the detail you might need - and perhaps more - from the authoratative but likeable Bob Katz. Unlike some audio reference books, it neither skips the difficult bits, nor seeks to patronise or counfound the reader. The author's passion for his subject is clear. Some aspects of audio technology move on quickly, but this manual should prove a useful reference for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book an audio. Period., 3 July 2013
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
Bob is the man. I interned with him last summer. He really knows his stuff. I owe a lot to this man, he's taught me all I know. If you want to learn about professional audio, read this. Also check out his book, iTunes Music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical and Thorough, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science (Paperback)
More information/advice on the expensive hardware and hard technical side of things than I was expecting (over half of the book), but very thorough, professional, no-nonsense, and useful for home studios nonetheless.

Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science
Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz (Paperback - 20 Nov. 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available