on 20 October 1998
If you are an aspiring electrician and want to work in movies and commercials this is a must-have for your shelf. Even a seasoned pro can learn a thing or two and the attention (and clear explanation) given to electrics is superior to any trade manual on the market. I've been reading, Mr. Box's articles in Film Crew Magazine for the past few years and it is even more valuable to be able to have some of this knowlege bound in a book.
on 23 February 1999
As a long time theatrical technician I found the book to be very insightfull as to the practices of film lighting world. I wish a book this good was written for stage hands. It is a practical guide to the film lighting business with not just basic information but tips to make you feel like on old pro. After reading it I would feel comfortable taking a work call on a film set any time.
on 29 August 1998
A great book for any film electrician, whether you're starting out or need a handy reference for wiring anything. It gives overviews for every aspect of lighting, starting out with the types of lights and cables and going into electrical theory later on. This book has basically become a must in the IA local here (Pgh 489!). Wanna do film, get this book.
on 13 May 1999
After 22 years in the Hollywood motion picture lighting business, I can attest to the value and accuracy of this book. A magnificent work of hard-won knowledge and vital information for the old pro or beginner. I refer to it often. Well done, Harry.
on 4 September 2010
I am truly impressed with this book. The amount of information regarding the complicated world of the Set lighting technician is amazing. I gives you a picture of how big budget films work. I truly recommend it to anyone in the film business.
on 19 April 2011
Great book for cinematographers as well as gaffers/sparks. Interesting anecdotes and tips - I refer to it all the time.
on 19 October 1998
I had the pleasure of working with Harry on an indpendent production. He sure knows his craft, and this book is testimony to his talent. Great person!