5.0 out of 5 stars The great Synthesis!, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
Great book, it contains almost everything you need to know, the history, the physics, the actual application and use. Around 400pgs of Music Technology, after you read it all... you will understand the world of synthesis much better. Hence, a good book that serves its purpose, to give useful information in this case!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
Very comprehensive and covers a wide ground at varying depths. Includes the science of sound, from how we actually hear, analogue based theory, digital theory, Midi, software & lots lots more (See chapter breakdown).

It will build your understanding on how to make sounds from the bottom up and add some order to experimentation. Knowing what FM, AM, VCO, LFO, AVF, VCA, ADSR, SRR, Square, saw, tri, & sine waves are and what to do with them is essential in order to understand those knobs and mouse clicks on the screen are doing. This in my opinion this is the best in publication book on the general subject. Others are also worth having as they focus in on specific areas but as a general all round work horse this book is the one for me.

The content of the book does start basic and build on knowledge grasped from earlier chapters. Some of the more challenging concepts I found using my hardware then re-reading the chapters again caused things to start making some more sense. This is after all a text book that exists on reading lists of academic courses on the subject and therefore could be regarded a reference book that you will always re-read to refresh. As geek I have some really mixed up bedside reading material personally focus in on certain chapters relevant to my own hardware. As a result one day I may fully understand all my hardware user manuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-written, in-depth book, 30 May 2014
M. Harrison - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
This book was my bible during my second year at university. It explains the subject incredibly well, and covers a broad range of topics. Well worth buying if you are interested in synthesiser programming and sampling

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
Fantastic book full of invaluable information to the audio production student. I found this incredibly useful in my studies and for future reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really really really technical !, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
I was hoping that this book would give me some pointers in creating good synths and learning about how they work etc... However this book is beyond the realms of what a normal human being might be able to comprehend. Its soooo technical with diagrams that a scientist would struggle with. Unless youre doing a PhD in Sythesis I would reconsider.

Ive given it four stars because I guess its good for what its meant to be for ie a synthesis specialist. It probably deserves five but its beyond my tiny brain to understand whats going on. Its very thorough, but way too thorough if you just want to make music.

Sound Synthesis and Sampling
Sound Synthesis and Sampling by Martin Russ (Paperback - 27 Nov 2008)
30.92