5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to get you writing your script
Published on 14 Jun 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars THE REVIEWS CANNOT BE TRUSTED! AVOID THIS TRASH!!
This book has many reviews on Amazon, which give it five stars across the board. What gives? I'll tell you - page one offers a free Raindance DVD worth £15 for everyone that puts up a positive review on Amazon, and asks you to send them the link with your address!!!

Published on 12 May 2010 by G.Lazolera

1.0 out of 5 stars THE REVIEWS CANNOT BE TRUSTED! AVOID THIS TRASH!!, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Raindance Writers' Lab: Write + Sell the Hot Screenplay (Paperback)

It's the most appallingly written piece of trash I've ever come across that was non fiction. It's so bad, I don't even know where to start. There are typos on just about every paragraph, he's talking nonsense from start to finish, it's laid out for little kids with boxes to be filled in, etc. He frequently forgets the difference between a movie and a screenplay after spending the intro telling you that the writer must appreciate that they are not the same. I only read the first 12 or so pages and couldn't believe my eyes. He tells an anecdote about a DJ who performs at 3am every morning, and in the next paragraph he talks about no one listening to his show 'that evening'. An anecdote about Mozart shows that Mr Grove doesn't even know the composer's name! And my favourite: 'Every screenplay starts with a script.' It's that bad.

I leafed through the rest of it and found another corker that tells you everything you need to know about this guy. He has a page showing the writers guild minimums for scripts, then across from it tells you that he's actually a producer, not a writer (surprise, surprise), and he'll always try to get away with paying less. 'Am I exploiting writers? You must answer this question. If you don't like the deal, you can always walk away.' In other words, I will rip you off, and if you don't like it go **** yourself.

I normally wouldn't bother posting comments on Amazon. But given the fact that people are buying this for all the wrong reasons (reviews written for a free DVD), I feel I have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to get you writing your script, 14 Jun 2002
By A Customer
I've read quite a few books over the years and I've never found one so practical. The tools and exercises are great in helping you build that hot script, and it doesn't stop there. Lots of tips and tools to help you in selling your script in the business. There's also a software package based on the book that extends it (called DreamaScript) so that you can build your screenplay interactively, and even get online feedback from Elliot! I've used this to successfully pitch an idea, get a development deal and write a screenplay. I wouldn't even attempt to start another without the software and book. You can get the software at the Dreamascript or Raindance websites. If you want to complete that script, get these!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth a lot more than it�s weight in postage., 22 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Over the years I have read a number of "how to" books on script writing, but only got as far as fantasising about writing a hot script. Then I came across Elliot Grove's "Write + Sell the Hot Screenplay". What a find! It's a wittily written, easy to read, hands-on book which filled me with so much confidence that I actually put pen to paper, followed by fingers on my keyboard. I can't tell you what a relief it was to release all those characters from the confines of my head and see them interact before my very eyes.
This encouraging book is filled with gems of useful information. It gives instruction on how to organise and plan your screenplay, facts and insights into the film-making industry, along with advice such as pitching and marketing. I have to say that this Amish boy seems to understands the writer's mind.
Elliot Grove's book inspired me to take one of his classes, and I wasn't disappointed. He has an authoritative knowledge of the film industry, and an encouraging and creative approach to screen writing.
Mr Grove is quite character, and Raindance is a company that is going places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Essential reading for ALL screenwriters., 16 May 2002
I have read over a dozen books on screenwriting and this is by far the most useful and informative. Elliot Grove is a master of his craft, but just as important (if not more so), is the fact that he can explain the art of screenwriting in an inspiring manner, helping to set the reader's mind in a mode conducive to work. Indeed, one of the most difficult parts of being a writer is actually getting started in the first place - once you've started, the rest is (comparatively) straightforward (although we all have our moments! ;)). Elliot takes the reader through the whole process step-by-step and also offers a real insight into the true nature of the business, warning of the perils which lie beyond the finished script and the ways in which writers can minimize the pain of making a good idea into a great script to sell it to make a classic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLEARING THE FOG, 30 Nov 2002
I stumbled upon this book by chance. A friend of mine had bought Raindance Writers Lab and had left it in the rain. Although the CD Rom was working, the binding was soaked and she was going to throw it out. I salvaged the damp thing and took it home and carefully dried it out.
When I could, I started reading it, and to my amazement, it totally cleared the fogginess away from the writing I was doing.
In my case, I had developed a basic storyline and outlined a few characters. With Raindance Writers Lab, I was able to sort out the second act, and clarify the ending to the point where my agent says that this is the best work I have done for years!
The business tools, although somewhat elementary for me (I have been living off my writing for nearly thirty years) they still provided me with some new marketing ideas, and some interesting insights on how the screenplay market really works.
I can't reccomend this book enough: either for a starting writer, or for someone, like myself, a veteran.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad book, offers some useful tips, 9 Jan 2014
This is not a bad book at all, might be a little out dated but it still offers some useful tips on screen writing and getting your screen play out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well structured advice with a practical emphasis, 11 Jun 2013
Elliot Grove is the founder of the UK based Raindance festivals and similar and provides a very useful book describing many aspects of producing a screenplay.

As well as structure and characterisations, there are plenty of tid-bits of advice about (for example) how the screenplays get assessed. The three 'Ums' is a case in point. The first 10 pages. What to describe and what to leave out? Passing the flick test (like one has to with the book itself - trust me, it 'flicks' well).

Some of these are pointers to be read more than once. Others are 'Ahah!' moments that lodge quickly in the mind. Grove also adds just enough of his own background to provide some counterpoint and the result is a thoroughly interesting read.

<END>
As an aside, there are a few reviewers who have said that the book offers a 'free' DVD for positive reviews and that the reviews should not be trusted. Don't count me in that category. I wrote this review because it is a good book that I recommend to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some really original content for screenwriters, 2 May 2013
A clear and insightful book with a good chapter on the short film. Some excellent suggestions which I haven't seen in any other publication on writing. I would recommend this book for the beginner and anyone who just wants some new ideas on how to structure screenplays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling, informative, irreverent and funny!, 11 Jun 2002
By A Customer
So you want to be a Screenwriter? Then read this book!
From the striking cover in this book shines. Elliot's style is at once friendly, knowledgeable, sharp and funny. He shoots from the hip and speaks from the heart.
Ever wanted to hurl your script in sheer frustration? Well this concisely written and considered tome will at first agree with you; then it will point out just where you have gone wrong, and show you how to fix it, quickly and effectively. Every chapter is filled with apt hints and points that really grab your attention and get you thinking.
If you've read Campbell and Vogler and come away confused and dismayed as to how to do archetypes! Then let Elliot calmly lead you through integrating them into the tight mechanics of the Profesional Screenplay.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful and entertaining, 3 July 2004
By A Customer
write + sell the hot screenplay is by far the best book on screenwriting that i have read. It is well writen and invites us to take part in the process by setting up a serie of helpful exercises and questionaires. It also provides you with a list of books, internet links, essential and oscar winning screenplays and lots more. My advice is that wether you already know everything there is to know or wether you are just getting started, you won't waste your time on this one!

Raindance Writers' Lab: Write + Sell the Hot Screenplay
Raindance Writers' Lab: Write + Sell the Hot Screenplay by Elliot Grove (Paperback - 22 Sep 2008)