HALL OF FAMEon 15 August 2002
Adobe Photoshop 7 for Photographers definately looks the business, the book design and layour are very clean, and there is ample use of example photography, and photoahop screen grabs throughout.
There is no shortage of useful information on the new tools and features present in photoshop 7, and indeed there is nice coverage of the tools which were introduced with vers 6 which are often overlooked.
pros
The way the book has been arranged and laid out works very well for the intended audience, and it gets straight down to facts, there is very little filler material, which some of the bigger photoshop books suffer from.
Lots of coverage of image correction and repair written very clearly and accesible for all level of photohsop users.
Suprisingly comprehensive, without being overly bulky, they seem to have fitted nearly everything into this book which would be of interest, and the more unrealsitic applications of the product are either briefly dealt with or in some case ommited.
cons
I actually feel the photographic side could have been pushed even further, although the book does delve into things like IR film emulation and so on, the photographic side could have been pushed even further.
im suprised at the use of the Photoshop 7 sample images in the book, with a project like this it would have been preferable to use some new images wherever possible.
In some cases the results of an image correction seem a little dubious, occasionaly a more globally useful correction technique would have served better.
conclusion
a good photoshop book for and introductory or intermediate user with a bent towards photographic uses. Easy to use and learn from. And most importantly the techniques and uses covered are everyday and realistic.
not an all encompasing guide to photoshop, but even for the advanced user there are some nice ideas and techniques, as well as good coverage of the newer interesting features.
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2003
I haven't had this book long so this review is based on a general skim plus some in-depth reading. I was looking for a book on colour management and Photoshop. I had just changed my printer inks and paper from the manufacturers and discovered how important colour management is to get accurate photo prints but I was confused about the whole issue. The colour management section in this book is the business: clear, consise and detailed. My understanding has grown enormously.
This book is no 'light read' but it is packed with excellent advise on Photoshop. If you are a digital photography enthusiast and you use Photoshop 7 then this book will help you get the most from your hobby.
on 15 December 2002
This is an amazing book, Martin you have done a superb job. I came to buying this book from a recommendation and was only interested in looking at the colour management side to it, but I found myself learning SO much about the appliaction itself. I now input my own photos and use the knowledge I learnt from this book to print out wonderful photographs that I have manipulated myself. I once again RECOMMEND anyone (novice or experienced in PhotoShop) to purchase this book, you WILL NOT regret it.
on 3 April 2003
Just read all the other reviews that have been written for this book and you will realise that this is really something special. But one thing other reviewers have failed to mention is the CD rom included with this publication. Unlike other Cd's that are full of useless software samples and so called tutorials, this one is excellent. The tutorials are simply superb. Why waste your money on any other photoshop book?
on 7 November 2003
Although the book is excellent, it is not a book for beginners or those who are not already familiar with Photoshop.
For example, the first 120 pages are devoted to colour space representation - of great interest to professional photographers but not really much use to those of us who will never go into print.
The videos accompanying the book serve to explain the contents of the book but the author frequently says: "then we click up here and over here..." leaving one wondering just where "here" actually is.
The guy certainly knows what he is talking about and he has improved my efficiency no end but I'd hate to give this book to someone just starting out with Photoshop.
on 29 November 2015
I wanted this book to tell me how to brighten up dull skies and improve poor light! It's not what I would call a photographers guide, but for the price I have a CD of tutorials and a good reference book.
A very hard book to understand, made more for professional printers rather than novice digital photographers
on 16 October 2014
arrived well before delivery date
on 6 June 2015