5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have", even if you think you know about Photoshop
If you are a photographer looking for a book about Photoshop, this is the one. You can stop looking now.
I have been a photographer all my life, and worked with computer for a while now. I have been using Photoshop for two years now, and I thought I new about the program and how to retouch and modify photos with it.
I was not wrong, but I never thought that I...
Published on 2 May 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough 'hands-on' content to satisfy most photographers
I bought this book on the strength of its good reviews and have to say that I am disappointed.
As a very experienced photographer, but with limited experience of Digital Imaging, I wanted this book for two distinct purposes:
Published on 28 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough 'hands-on' content to satisfy most photographers, 28 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop 5.5 for Photographers : A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (Paperback)
1) To show me how to replicate the effects that I can get through the traditional photography process (especially monochrome effects), and
2) How to use the program to obtain "special effects" applications.
I was disappointed by the paucity of Black & White effects contained in the book. They merited only 14 pages (of a total 384) which I feel seriously under-represents the importance of black & white to most photographers.
Effects were mainly dealt with in chapters 14 through to 16 and I feel that insufficient attention has been given to the practicalities of the subject.
Most photographers considering the purchase of this book are probably considering either reducing or giving up entirely traditional darkroom work, or augmenting their darkroom skills by acquiring Photoshop skills. Sadly this book does not place enough emphasis on the 'hands-on' aspect. Photographers, after all, are 'hands-on' people which I rather feel the author has not acknowledged.
Overall I would only give 3 stars to this book - I feel that the author has slightly missed the point and that the title is somewhat misleading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough'hands-on' content to satisfy most photographers, 28 May 2001
By A Customer
2) How to use the program to obtain "special effects" applications.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have", even if you think you know about Photoshop, 2 May 2000
By A Customer
I was not wrong, but I never thought that I could learn so much from one single book. This book has covered all aspects that are relevant to photography and Photoshop, from color managment to storage, retouch, toning, etc. It covers all the techniques that used to be used in conventional photographic dark rooms, and it takes those techniques beyond.
If you are not used to the computer terminology don't worry. The lenguage is oriented to photographers, so you will find loads of terms that will be familiar. The tutorials are easy to follow and they cover the techniques, so is extremelly easy to translate them from picture to picture, using similar steps and getting the results.
This book is not perfect, but is the most similar thing that you will find.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, it doesn't tell you "how to"., 9 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I decided to buy this book based on the very good reviews it had. I must say that I am disappointed. The book might be very good in describing "what can be done with Photoshop" but it hardly tells you "how to do it". The "how to" part tells you only on a very high level what to do. More details is needed to make this book usefull.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Photoshop book i've read yet., 22 July 2000
By A Customer
I read the first edition of this book when i was studying Photography in my final year at college. In a short period of time, it took me from a complete beginner, to being one of the most advanced users in the whole Photography Department.
The new edition of this book contains all the information that was in the old book, plus new sections outlining the features in version 5.5. There is a comprehensive section on Print output and Proofing, and a section dedicated to the newly introduced Image Ready 2.0 which is compiled with the software.
This book is extermely easy to read as it is written in a language that photographers can easily understand and doesn't get bogged down with a lot of technical jargon.
With nearly 2 years of experience of using Adobe Photoshop and after reading a great deal of literature on the programme, i have yet to read a better book.