4.0 out of 5 stars Solid look inside the soul of the man that is George Graham., 12 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Glory and the Grief: The Life of George Graham (Paperback)
THE GLORY AND THE GRIEF is a substantial book. It covers not just the entirety of Graham's playing and coaching career, but reveals enough of his evolving personality and character that we understand the motivation behind his decision-making and reactions. To a large extent, then, this is George Graham in 3-D. Choosing highlights can easily be more subjective than objective. Those that stand out in my mind, however, include: his depiction of his mother as a hard-working, thoroughly honorable woman, his penchant for womanizing during his early playing days, his recollections of various coaches and their good and bad points, how he set about the managerial task from day one at Millwall, how he handles his players, how he trained his defenders to be the meanest in England, and how he develops strategies to achieve victory on the field. Frankly, I don't really care that much about the alleged kick-backs he received that led to his unceremonious sacking. I agree, though, that he wasn't guilty of much besides foolishness stemming from self-confessed greed. One reading problem could be the book's coverage of Graham's glory years as a player with Arsenal. As a die-hard Gooner, I enjoyed reliving my youthful fanaticism yet realized many pages of text and photos didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (I hunger for insights!). Readers who support other clubs will surely not be too excited by the glorious retelling. Still, I can honestly say that I got more out of this book than I did from Alex Ferguson's WILL TO WIN. The latter scratched the surface of things too often for my liking. All in all, THE GLORY AND THE GRIEF should prove a good enough read for the majority of football fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Dec. 2014
excellent historic book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Jan. 2015
good book

The Glory and the Grief: The Life of George Graham
The Glory and the Grief: The Life of George Graham by George Graham (Paperback - 21 Dec. 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01