5.0 out of 5 stars ... went on a retreat recently – and was so pleased I had done so, 1 July 2014
I took this book with me when I went on a retreat recently – and was so pleased I had done so, as I found it incredibly helpful. Lucy looks at the importance of remembering God in a world where there are so many other things clamouring for our attention. She is a gifted wordsmith, and the book is easy to read. The four sections look at different aspects of remembering, and the many helpful scriptural references are balanced by contemporary anecdotes – Lucy is honest about her own struggles, and full of encouragements [she says she doesn’t want to leave the reader ‘awash with guilt’!] Each chapter ends with an optional ‘reflection exercise’ – I opted to do those ‘properly’ with a pen, Bible and notebook. They did not take too long, and I felt they really enabled me to assimilate the lessons I was learning. Mind you, I think my husband was concerned, when he phoned to see how I was getting on, and I told him I had just written my obituary!
In an age where so much is on screen, information is conveyed in txt spk, with emoticons, and where relationships are often trivial facebook comments, this book reminds us that in the beginning was The Word, Logos. Lucy brings us back to the awesome creator God who made us and loves us. She shows how He always remembers us – and gives many ways to help us truly remember Him. Her ideas are manageable, workable ones, born out of her own experience, and worth trying out. I was fortunate to have space to read this right through in three days – but most people won’t have that. Please don’t say “I am too busy” – read a chapter [or half] each day and you will soon find that you want to be making more space for remembering Him. This book made me smile, pray, weep and laugh out loud – but best of all, it deepened my relationship with God. Go buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of nuggets of truth to stir up your faith, 15 Sep 2014
When I picked up this book, several themes resonated with me as I recognised that in the midst of busy family life and caught up in the digital age, so many distractions and responsibilities vie for my attention. The author writes several punchy points early on, after which I then wondered if every relevant point had already been made and how on earth this book could continue for another 16 chapters! But then Lucy delves into the Psalms and the Old Testament, exploring Israel's journey and highlighting so many instances of forgetfulness, memory and remembrance. She thoughtfully leads the reader to consider biblical calls to remember, demonstrating how we, too, can easily forget God in our hurried lives. She also introduces a personal element, illustrating various experiences and insights throughout.

The author continues to examine how remembering affects so many aspects of our faith. Themes such as grace, justice, worship, thankfulness and relationships are woven into the pages, making this book a thoroughly challenging and thought-provoking read that will stir up your faith and cause you to assess your spiritual walk with God. 'Forgetful Heart' is full of so many nuggets of truth as well as pointers to help us remember, that I'd recommend more than one reading.

With the inclusion of thought-provoking questions in 'For Reflection' sections at the end of each chapter, this makes this book ideal for group study and discussion. I also valued the short, inspirational poems after each chapter. Don't let the pastel hearts on the front cover mislead you; this is a meaty stuff that you'll want to chew over for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars fresh, real and restorative, 23 Jun 2014
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Forgetful Heart (Paperback)
Richard Foster was perhaps the first to name the curse of our age as distraction. Here Lucy Mill offers us much biblical insight, self-disclosure and poetic provocation along the pathway to healing.

Written in a pithy and engaging way. This packs a punch in a disarmingly gracious way. I particularly appreciated the threads of memory, identity and the purity of need. In Lucy's own words:- "Our culture doesn’t place value on waiting. At least, not a healthy kind of waiting. Often we think we’ll be successful if only we did this, or had that. It’s true in our lives of faith, too. Somehow we manage to box our ideas of God into what we feel we need in order to progress in faith and maturity."

This repeatedly reads as a soul detox. And so for that I am thankful, and many others will be blessed. There is a unique quality to the pastoral distinctiveness of how Mills engages with such important themes. The amount of scriptural text work is refreshing, the engagement with Matthew's gospel is strong as well as the cultural analysis of faithfulness in an internet-frazzled age. The closing chapters offer much in rooting this all in routine, and the beauty of grace, thankfulness and life in the Spirit.

Lucy Mills in partnership with DLT has offered us a really significant, attractively designed and beautifully written title. The tone and spirit of this title really is very special. This deserves to do very well, for it is a really important book. Here's to reading more of your work Lucy. And congratulations on this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative spiritual weave on remembering & forgetting, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Forgetful Heart (Paperback)
‘It’s not just an age thing. Not for everyone. From my teens I’ve been climbing the stairs and then wondering why I went up in the first place.’ This first sentence of Lucy Mills captures, as she goes on to say, the consequences of a creative albeit cluttered mind. Forgetfulness additionally has moral and spiritual elements and the writer weaves her book skilfully around these.

Like the seedlings in Jesus’ parable that got choked by thorny ground the distractions we encounter crowd in, entangle and ‘choke out our abilities to grow in our faith and remember what we have learned about God’. Worry, stress and fear link to this spiritual forgetfulness. So does our need to seek approval from any other than the Lord. Mills chronicles the things that are energy-draining in life such as a chronic tiredness built from refusal to see rest as something constructive.

This analysis moves to a scriptural exposition of the forgetfulness of God’s people concerning his loving provision for them, and its consequences. The story of Josiah, who followed such forgetful Kings and brought the people to remember God, and the psalms of the exile provide us with a wakeup call. ‘If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither.’ Psalm 137:5

The God who remembers is the good news pervading this book, the God who comes to us in Jesus. In the book’s latter part there is a fruitful playing upon images of forgetfulness and remembrance. Jesus ‘points out the things the people had forgotten; he would tell them of a God who did not forget. He hung out with those forgotten...and dismissed.’ Scripture, Eucharist, the Holy Spirit in the fellowship of believers all help our recall of what is meant to be primary to us as Christians. They help us engage with God’s grace which overcomes ‘the memory makers of worry and fear’.

Memory is selective. Lucy Mills ends each chapter with questions along the lines ‘are you selecting the right things to remember?’ Her chapter on compassion fatigue ends by asking ‘what things have we chosen to ignore because they’re just too hard to face? What would you like to be remembered for? What do you wish your obituary will say?’ The book is enriched by the questioning of its reader at regular intervals, challenges that build from the personal testimony and biblical reflection of the author.

‘Forgetful Heart’ ends by inviting the reader to ‘remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead’ (2 Timothy 2:8a) whose Spirit ‘helps us remember who we are...transforms and reshapes us, illuminating the false memories we accumulate in this broken world’. This inspiring book includes a free postcard prompting the daily remembrance of God.

Forgetful Heart
Forgetful Heart by Lucy Mills (Paperback - 28 April 2014)