Format: PaperbackChange

on 19 July 2015
As a lazy short form reader this book held my scattered attention and brought back the joy of reading novels, but with remarkable twist, just like a good murder mystery, the psychological components kept me awake and reflecting, I savoured the book rather than rushing just to find out "whodunnit!" At one point I even noticed that it was making me more mindful of relational interactions in work and home. Loved it and have read and enjoyed the next in the series too
on 11 September 2014
I enjoyed this murderous romp around the Church of England. As a Reader and long time Parochial Church Council member, I recognised many characters. Even better, I heard the author speak twice at Greenbelt this year about Abbot Peter and other fictional detectives. You don't have to be a churchgoer to recognise the motives and personalities here - just enjoy the well plotted classic English murder mystery with a twist.
on 15 September 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which combines a murder mystery with study of the Enneagram. It is very helpful for those who would like to learn about the Enneagrams 9 personality types as it explains things in a clear and interesting way. This is a book that I read and re-read over and over as with each reading I gain a sliver more understanding into the different interesting characteristics we humans have.
on 28 September 2013
A lovely unusual read, that's very relaxing to read. Look forward to more of the series. I would definitely recommend giving this a try
on 19 December 2013
A disturbing well written story which deals not only with what happened but also with the minds and souls of those involved.
on 17 January 2016
Abbot Peter appeared in the 1990's in the Desert novels. Desert Ascent was one of the best novels I have ever read. In this book Simon Parke uses the murder mystery genre as a tool of exploring ourselves and our relationships with others. Different genre and writing style to the Desert novels but in a different way well written and life enhancing.
on 5 August 2013
Solving a murder is not my type of book. So why did I read it? Answer simon parkes book pippas progress is brilliant and his self help book solitude is pure genious. Liking some of the authors previous works helps. I read this book not to find out who did the dastardly deed but to hopefully come across some of the authors wonderful psychological phrases such as 'life is precious and everyday a prize','in stress we reveal ourselves like peacocks and best of all 'spiritual people enjoy the flowers along the way but also grasp the nettle. All of which means I shall be sorely tempted to buy the next in the series ie A psychiatrist screams.
on 17 June 2015
A very readable detective novel with the ever present subtitle twist at the end.

An improbable plot admittedly, but no less entertaining to read because of that.
on 2 July 2014
This was a new departure for me. I had no idea what to expect, but the suspense was there to the end. now going to read the next one! Highly recommended.
on 7 July 2013
The fiction of a 'who done it' but the delight of the enneagram woven through it's pages, giving the reader an unexpected insight to truths.