5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and scholarly much needed book

2.0 out of 5 stars An objective review of this topic
Published 20 months ago by Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and scholarly much needed book, 26 May 2013
J. Marks "Jeremy Marks" (Guildford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permanent, Faithful, Stable: Christian Same-Sex Marriage - New Edition (Paperback)
Jeffrey John is, in my view, an excellent theologian providing a vitally needed presentation of those scriptures so often misused to judge gay people and condemn loving committed same-sex relationships as if they were all sinful, whatever the quality of relationship.. He is also a very experienced pastor who understands the real issues surrounding the controversial subject of same-sex partnerships and provides some important pastoral guidelines. And he speaks from his heart with a good conscience - as a Christian who has been in a committed same-partnership for many years.

I wholeheartedly recommend this excellent little book in this new edition, which is very clear, very readable and has been updated to include the question of Christian same-sex marriage In 2012, I urged the author and publisher (DLT) to publish a new edition of this important little book when I realised that the old edition was out out of print. I am so thankful it is now available in this new edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars An objective review of this topic, 16 Nov 2012
I myself am a Christian who has come out of a life of deep bondage including homosexuality. I am 58 years old and my homosexuality goes back to my boarding school days and carried on until i became a Christian in my early 50s. I had entered into a dialogue with Jeffrey John at St Albans Cathedral about the topic of homosexual marriage and he reccommended his book to me. I had and have many profound objections to homosexual marriage and indeed any form of homosexual sexual expression. My stance comes from not only my experience of the devatating effects my homosexuality had on my life but also from a scriptural point of view. Jeffrey John told me that his book should help to irradicte my scriptural questions. I have a number of problems with this claim by Jeffrey John not least that Mr John has corresponded to me that there are a number of really fundamental parts od the bible that he simply does not believe. If this is the case, a leading church of England dean not believing in fundamental scritural truths leads me to question how Mr John can defend his homosexual position on a scriptural basis.

My second point is that mr Johns book contains no scriptures which condone homoseuality and the few he mentions are ones which forbid homosexuality and he trys to interpret them in a way that can condone it.

I have written a complete page by page review if anyone is interested at rbonzo2000@yahoo.com.

Finally, at one point Mr John trys to compare homosexuality, he includes homosexual sexual expression which will include sodomy and fellatio, with the creative will that a person with no arms uses when they paint a picture with their feet. I must admit when I saw that passage in his book I wondered if i was seeing things but I am afraid that was the general tone of the whole book. The whole thing was very light weight and verging on the rediculous and that Mr John was apparently in the running to be the bishop of Southward perhaps the most amazingly historical cathedral in london is very worrying. That he is the dean of the church that in on the site of the earliest place of Christian worship in England is also very troubling to me.

Permanent, Faithful, Stable: Christian Same-Sex Marriage - New Edition