Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2016
extremely helpful and very accurate. Has helped me considerably and explains so much about my mother's behaviour toward me throughout my life, and later toward my brothers and eventually my Dad. Thankfully, she is out of all our lives, but not before she put everyone through torment and abuse over a 60 year period. Oh Yes, as they get into old age they are still very capable and calculated, and the this book reflects every worst trait.
A must read for anyone trying to work it out.
on 1 October 2012
This is more a review of the author rather than the book. Although I did subscribe to Danu's free weekly emails through her website, these emails stopped abruptly with a message from Danu informing me that she had "got behind in writing them". Coincidently, she had a new book out!!! Hmmm....

Before spending your hard earned cash on this book, I urge you to do your own research on the author.
There are lots of comments on the american Amazon.com website left by women who have been permanently banned from her "support" forum. Or you could google 'banned from Donm forum'.

Danu runs a forum that is supposedly for the support, healing and recovery of daughters with narcissistic mothers. Please don't get sucked into it (like I did).
The forum repeats the very pattern that gets us there in the first place - my therapist told me this, she has a degree in psychology, unlike Danu, who has no professional qualifications in this field whatsoever!!!

I would recommend the book by Karyl McBride Phd - Will I ever be good enough? Healing the daughters of Narcissistic mothers. The author is a qualified and experienced therapist and also the daughter of a narcissistic mother. I think McBride's book is the closest thing to therapy!

I've no doubt that Ms Morrigan's book has some relevant stuff in it, but nothing that you can't read for free on the internet. Just bear in mind that any stories used are stolen from the women on her forum without their permission. Like others, I posted some very personal stuff on there, but once you are locked out of your account, you can never edit or remove that information.

My advice is to steer clear of this book, the author and her websites!

Best wishes in your journey of healing and recovery xx

Just to add check out Dr Karyl McBrides website, and facebook page, and chat group, all healthy stuff!!
44 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2015
This book is a life saver if you have a twisted parent, I have an N.P.D mother and its only when I came across a website and forum by this author a few years back that I realized what was wrong and it wasn't me. If you google the author some nasty blogs come up which is a shame and the forum is shut down which probably is not a shame. One persons blog even defends the mother of the author which is so shocking and obviously intended to discredit the author , I guess all those N.P.D mothers don't like this book! This book is written very well and from a calm perspective of someone who has been through it all herself, I would say a lot of therapist are not trained properly in N.P.D and will say your mother didn't mean it , try to make it up with her blaa blaa blaaa so be careful talking about it. The advice of trying emotional freedom technique is better and I find that works very well. You can be stronger that someone with N.P.D and if cutting them out of your life is not an option then remembering that they are completely bonkers and have no morals at all does help and the author of this book has done a great thing writing this easy to read book which always make me feel better.
on 10 October 2015
If you want an academic approach to the challenges of being the child of narcissistic parents, this is not for. If you want answers to your individual problems this may provide some answers, but not all. If you, angry, hurt, want to know you are not the only one, want to move away from that isolated place, want to empathise with another human being who has felt/is feeling diminished as a result of a relationship with a parent, read this. For me, this was the first step towards healing.
on 22 October 2015
Absolutely spot on. A godsend. Fortunately I discovered this book at a time when I really needed it. Thanks for writing this and sending it out. I can't really explain fully what this book means to me but it is one of the most important things I have ever read. It explains everything I have experienced in my life and confirmed everything I suspected. At least I know it's not me and I'm not crazy and that I'm not alone in my experiences. I recommend this book and the corresponding website to any long suffering people looking for answers.
on 26 November 2015
Very badly written and irritatingly repetitive BUT so many of the issues covered seemed to have been written about my life and my mother. I bought it after my mother died and left everything she owned to my sister, who was her favourite. I was so low I could barely fill in the order form, but it helped massively when I discovered that I was not alone. If you can cut the author some slack it is well worth reading. If she had used a good editor and possibly a consultant psychologist it could have been excellent - but I repeat: it is well worth reading if only to find out exactly what it says on the cover!
on 16 August 2012
I ordered this book having read an article about it in the Guardian, and checked out the author's website, where many children of possible narcissists share their stories. Reading about the experiences of these other posters on the website was revelatory.

Unfortunately, the book is derived from the website and offers nothing new. Problematically, for me, it also, implicitly, derides mainstream psychology, and suggests the author's (unsubstantiated) 'healing' methods instead.

The Guardian article and the contributions on the website may open up a lot for their readers. I don't think buying this book is a helpful next step, for the reasons above.
on 19 September 2015
A very accurate description of a narcissist mother.I could have written this myself,it says all you know that is going on in the relationship with your NM, but cannot tell anyone as they would never believe you.Your own self doubt,self worth,enabling fathers,golden child siblings and mind games are all included.Anyone suspecting their mother is narcissistic should read this.
on 21 February 2015
Before you buy this book I suggest you read the blogs regarding Danu Morrigan and her website. I did, and after further investigation it appears this author is at the very least a fraud and at worst possible a manipulating individual who thrives on belittling others. Read for yourself the various blogs working to expose her and then make your own mind up.
on 3 March 2014
A book to help all of us that really think there is something fundamentally wrong with us for not feeling warm towards our mothers but not able to put a finger on it when we have been put on guilt trips all of our lives without understanding the underlying cause.