Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2013
Being a semi -fanatical F1 fan since the late 90s, I obviously have been familiar with the ever present 'Senna' name and legacy. We all get fed the same God like, media driven history of Senna, which inevitably we all get sucked into, but with this book we get a real insight into the man, the racing driver, not just the 'lost hero' of motor racing. Not only does the author give us all the facts, from his early days in Britain, forging his career to the heights of becoming a triple world champion, but he also creates an air of wit that helps bring the 'Ayrton' out of the 'Senna' legend. Great read and highly recommended
on 4 July 2013
This book does not tell you anything that Senna fans don`t know already, but rather it is a quick top up for the old grey matter.
Long live Senna in our memories.
on 23 May 2013
I was spoilt by reading The Life of Senna first.
Ayrton Senna the Messiah of Motorsport, was a good read but at times a little hard to keep wanting to pick it up.
on 22 March 2013
I enjoyed this book, flaws and all, because the author gets the tone right throughout; he's clearly passionate about the subject and it comes through to the reader. I only came to Senna and F1 in the last few years, and found this book a useful companion piece to the movie of 2011. I also didn't know that Clive James provided commentary on F1 back in the 80s - enjoyed his wit, showcased here!
on 6 July 2014
This is one of the most beautifully written novels that I have read in my lifetime. A brilliant documentary on the life and times of Ayrton Senna. Richard
Craig, I salute you.
on 31 July 2013
This is a fairly lightweight, uninspired series of ramblings written in an informal style that depending on your point of view will either be a breath of fresh air or just simply irritating. Could be ok for a read on the beach, but F1 connoiseurs will not discover anything new at all in the text, which is pretty much a rehash of various books and FOCA F1 season review dvds.

It all gets a bit predictable: where are Nigel Roebuck and Denis Jenkinson when you need them? Bring back the real F1 journos say I.
on 11 October 2012
I am probably one of the first few people who have read this book. I've eagerly waited for it since I started reading the authors' Rev Frog blog. I was not disappointed by what I read. Its not often I've read quotes about motor racing to my wife who isnt a fan, she's reading the book too despite her dislike of f1.

The author makes no secret of the fact he is a major Senna fan, however it does not detract from his honest appraisal of Ayrton.

Craig is a man who knows his facts and figures, he can probably name the first 10 places in ever gp since 1970. But the book is far from a statistical count of Senna's victories, it probes the depths of the man and sources opinions from those around him at the time.

He gives a fair and balanced account not focusing or trying to be sensationalist.. it soundly covers the topics and gives the reader an informed opinion, inviting them to challenger their own perceptions rather than massaging the ego of a long dead driver.

I hope the author continues to write about other famous drivers, he gives a small hint of his abilities and knowledge when discussing other greats such as Prost and Villeneuve.

A good read, would recommend it.
on 1 January 2014
This was purchased as a Christmas present and the recipient is very pleased with it, it arrived promptly as expected
on 31 October 2012
First off I have to say this book is both hillariously funny inparts,but more importantly:it deconstructs the myth-perpetualized by the movie Senna which had to get the approval of the Senna family to get off the ground-of Senna as some sort of demigod.It brings a soberingly and-to me-an honest (as far as that goes) account of the man.It is a well written,and balanced account which I wholeheartedly recommends to fans and interested in F1 alike.

@settinrecords:I think you read more into annectdotes and exampels than is there.I will congratulate you as a Senna fan as to 1)admitting it openly,and 2)give credit where credit is due.Edit:I think it is to the books strength he didn't go into minutia into his death as there are better books covering that,and that is not the books intentions since it is-to me-an answer or correction to the perceived notion of Senna out there.
on 11 October 2012
I only received this yesterday, but it's worth the wait from Amazon. Already I've gobbled up most of the first half. The author writes with wit and style. And Senna emerges from the pages as the flawed 'messiah', beautifully. Not a typical sports bio, although all the facts and stats are included! I thought maybe a wikipedia style career stats summary might have been worth putting in, but otherwise, very happy!