on 9 February 2009
This book is so insightful and offers so many new angles on familiar passages. It is a book I return to again and again one that is uplifting and encouraging.
on 13 February 2011
It's an enlightening and revealing book. It's full of details and examples about the time of Jesus on earth which reflects the society of that time. It's humane, moving, beautiful. It cannot be read and forgotten. It's a living book.
on 13 July 2012
This book is my all time favourite faith book, it talks about the Jesus I know and want to know more. It's all the very best sermons you ever heard all rolled into one, it speaks to me like no book before, I love it.
on 6 May 2012
I found this such a helpful book in drawing that bit closer to Christ's humanity and therefore getting in touch with his relating to mine in a much fuller way. We can wrestle with some concepts of Christ as a man out of reverence for his divinity. But if he is not and was not like us (with the exception of sin) then he cannot relate to us let alone represent us or becomes a substitute for us. He does all this. I found myself able to relax more in his affinity with me as a man trying to live out a life following him with all the dysfunctions that come with being human
on 23 July 2013
An enjoyable read, so far. Jean Vanier delves into the depths of human emotion using the encounters in St.John's Gospel to illustrate his points. A Spiritual classic.
on 23 February 2014
Written in a "stream of consciousness" style this is a meditation on John's gospel/ Some of his ideas are really profound and it's the sort of book that you want to re-read because it's so enjoyable and makes you think!
I tgoroughly recommend it.
on 23 July 2014
This book gives new insights into St. John's gospel.Jean Vanier speaks from the heart of his own spirituality. An excellent book
on 12 December 2014
This is the find of the year written in such lovely prose.
on 21 July 2015
An inspiringl commentary on John's gospel, rooted in the author's human experience and living in a L'Arche community. Accessible to anyone who would like to deepen their understanding of John's gospel.
on 24 June 2016
This is a sentient non-academic commentary which leans toward inspiration and devotion; a feeding account of Jesus's difference that is relevant to the 21st Century.