Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 2000
This is a great book for those who are familiar with the Mass, and those not-so familiar.
Scott Hahn gives a fasinating insight into the origins of the liturgy, which has helped me to appreciate the Mass and my contribution to it. Although he readily points out that this is not new - indeed the early Church Fathers taught this - he presents the subject in a manner which makes you ask the question: "This is simple, so why haven't I heard this from my priest?"
The Book of Revelation does appear to be full of weird and strange stuff that Joe Layman would consider to be futuristic, but now it makes more sense. Friends and family (Catholic and non-Catholic alike) have been surprised by what is presented in this book, but they see the connection. Some non-Catholic Christian friends of mine are now asking themselves if the Reformation threw the baby out with the bath water.
This is a darn good read, and provides a strong resource for Bible Study. But don't just copy it - question it, research it, and debate it!
This book also complements other material by Scott Hahn; A Father Who Keeps His Promises (book), and The Book of Revelation - Bible Study (tape series).
Go on ... BUY IT!
on 26 March 2004
Once again Scott Hahn has been used by the Lord to Bring the Truths and Mysteries of the Gospel to the people. In the book Scott Hahn brings us right back to Genisis and forward to Revelation. He breaks down the whole Mass, The Biblical basis of the Mass, the signifcance of the Mass and the Power that we recieve or that can also come "against" us in the Mass. If you want to know the Biblical truths of the Mass, how it has come since the apostles and where it stands in our Faith and everything else there is to know about it, Buy this Book!
on 26 September 2010
This is the best book I have ever read about the Lambs Supper or The Lords Table or Holy Communion or Mass.
What a must read for all Christians; I could not put it down I just had to read it through, yet I never wanted to come to the end of the book because it is so very good! Thoughly recommended.
on 19 October 2012
If you only ever read one book on the Mass, make it this! The book will bring you to a greater understanding, appreciation and love for the Mass, which is Heaven on Earth.
Scott Hahn also goes through the book of Revelation, showing you how it is describing the Liturgy. And explains other biblical and historical details of Revelation.
The best book I have ever read!
on 1 May 2009
I love Scott Hahns books, because they broaden the concepts and give some depth and meaning to the age long tradition of christianity. He writes with such knowledge and inspiration that I find every page fascinating and love its devotion to Catholic teaching. It's hard to find such vivid and animated writing anywhere. I have very little knowledge of theology, history and traditions of spirituality, but find these books integrate themes in such a way that I am caught up in the story and can't wait to see whats over the page! (92)
I'm normally not a fan of Scot Hahn (thus the Churlish 4 stars) but this book is creative, brilliant, speculative and an entirely orthodox engagement with the Mass. It should be read by Catholics who have forgotten the radicality of the Mass and others who never realised this radicality to begin with. This book shows Hahn at his best, he has so much creativity and talent and when e unleashes this creativity in the service of the Church the results are spectacular.
on 26 February 2010
This is the most incredible book I have ever read and I doubt I will ever read another book as amazing as this one. Totally essential for anyone.
on 3 April 2016
Having only recently discovered Scott Hahn. I really love his writing. He explains his subjects really well, without talking down to you.
As with the other books of his I have read, you can either just read the book through, or look up the bible references as you go along. You could even use them as a study book. I find his books very helpful and enlightening.
on 13 August 2015
I would like to highlight some marvellous learnings for any reader .

The beastly message is this we are fighting spiritual forces: immense, deprayed, malevolent forces. If we had to fight them alone, we would be trounced. But here is good news: there is a way we can hope to overcome. The solution has to match the problem, spiritual force for spiritual force, immense beauty for immense ugliness, holiness for depravity, love for malevolence. The solution is for the Mass, when heaven touches down to save an earth under siege.

Though heaven's angels present themselves to human eyes in physical form, angels do actually not have bodies. Their name means “messenger” and the physical attributes usually symbolize some aspect of their nature or mission. Wings indicate their swiftness in moving between heaven and earth. Multiple eyes signify their knowledge and watchfulness. Many eyed six wing angels might sound scary at first but if we think of them in terms of their swiftness and vigilance, we will be reassured. These are beings we can count on , when the dragon threatens our peace

We need to put ourselves through the rigors of basic training, living a sustained and disciplined life of prayer and studying the faith daily, reading the Bible using Catholic tapes, TV, and books (especially the Catechism of the Catholic Church). All this is a lifelong talk

D-Day. Yet the battler remains a battle. Even if our victory is assured, the fighting itself won't necessarily be easy and this is especially true at the Mass. Knowing the power of grace, the devil will most forcefully assault us, says one ancient teacher “at the time of the great feasts and during the Divine Liturgy –especially when we are intending to receive the Holy Communion “
What is our particular combat during the Mass ? Maybe it is warding off contempt for the worshiper whose perfume is too strong, or the man who sings the wrong lyrics off-key, May bet it is holding back our judgment against the parishioner who is skipping out early. May be it is turning the other way when we begin to wonder how low that neck line really goes.
No one but God and His Angels will notice that you did not mentally critique Father's homily this week. No one but God and His Angels will notice that you withheld judgment against the family that was underdressed. So you don't get a medal; you win habits instead
on 15 April 2015
This is an amazing book. Its absolutely a must read for all the Catholics who regularly attend mass (or don't) as I can guarantee you've never heard what the mass truly is. After reading the book you will never again think that the mass is boring or get annoyed by a crying child. Especially for cradle Catholics for whom the mass became an opportunity for switching the brain off for an hour. I'm buying a few copies to give to friends as presents. This book can be (eternally) life saving.