on 20 August 2009
Having read this volume recently, I found it a very profound read. I couldn't read it in one go, because it has such a wealth of points to raise that I spent way more time thinking than reading (but that's what good books are about aren't they?). The thoughts he causes you to have are not surface thoughts, but ones that dive into the depths of your heart and cause a change whether you want it to or not!!
My copy is also heavily underlined (in pencil I might add, why do so many people use pens? Philistines!!).
It is a simple book (he is in a situation where he spends most of his time contemplating things we don't have time to contemplate) but at the same time a deep and profound one.
Our lives are full of too much busyness, and we don't allow time (can't or won't maybe?) to actually contemplate in quietness and solitude, the wonders of God, and his longsuffering goodness towards us. A book to be read and contemplated on in quietness and with much prayerful thought.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to change their life.
Go on, buy it; you know you want to!!!!!
on 21 May 2014
Another gem from the late Henri Nouwen
The humility , honesty and truthfulness of the man is captivating

The book confronts the reader to consider the innermost layers of
Our human conditioning
Accept our brokenness , embrace it and finally look to God
Who loves us unconditionally for
A respite
on 19 September 2012
This is an honest account of Nouwen,he exposes his most inner thoughts for us to read. Many times on retreat have I had the same thoughts, doubts and misgivings of my faith. This book is an honest account of his thoughts and actions. if you love Merton, then Nouwen will not disappoint.
on 23 May 2016
Such an interesting account of Henri Nouwen's six month's retreat. Honest and humble. An inspiration!
on 2 January 2015