Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 January 2004
The New Jerusalem Bible is the version which I have chosen and recommend. The NJB evokes for me Jerome's Vulgate that he produced in the Holy Land and which is also a dynamic equivalence translation. The NJB belongs to the Nouvelle Théologie of the mainly French scholars who paved the way for the renewal witnessed at the Second Vatican Council (1962-65). The biblical renewal seen at the council was largely thanks to the Dominican M.J. Lagrange's École Biblique in Jerusalem whose original Bible de Jérusalem set the standard for subsequent editions. The École Biblique is one of only two Catholic colleges (along with the Biblicum in Rome) that awards the Sacred Scripture Doctorate (S.S.D.). The notes and other study material in the NJB are from the aforementioned Jerusalem Bible school: fine conservative scholarship, moderate in historico-criticism and displaying neither liberal scepticism nor mindless fundamentalism. The translation into English is wonderful and has been praised as the most poetic since the King James Version. The style is definitely scholarly and has been called more "British" than even the Revised English Bible (REB). I like the use of the Hebrew Divine names and applaud the scholarly usage of the varied textual sources including the Dead Sea Scrolls. The translation is loftier and more literal than the original Jerusalem Bible (1966) and its accuracy has been praised even by the Orthodox. The NJB is the only major contemporary English language (not American) Catholic Bible.
22 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2010
There are several editions of the "New Jerusalem Bible". The Standard Edition has translations by members of a committee and excellent notes and cross-references which I canot commend too highly. The Study Edition has an addendum of maps and further commentary, and is indeed a most valuable study aid for readers at any level of biblical learning. But this edition, as I should have realised from its cheapness, is the Pocket Edition: it should fit in some pockets: it contains the text in tiny print without any notes or cross-references.I cannot imagine who would want it, and can only thank Amazon for refunding the price when I returned it. Buyer, beware!

Sr Anna Mary House, O.P.
44 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2000
At last--the complete text of the New Jerusalem Bible in a sturdy, hardbound volume that is pocket-sized! For a very moderate price, I can now carry the wonderful NJB translation with me when I travel. Although the extensive notes and charts have been reduced, the editors have kept key supplementary pieces to enrich reading and prayer with the Scriptures.
on 27 May 1999
As a born again Christian, I was somewhat skeptical of the Catholic format. After reading and comparing it to the KJV and NIV my feelings turned to admiration. This is a well done mondern tranlation of the Holy Scriptures. The Hebrew and Aramaic translations are superior and the Greek translations acceptable. This has now become my referance Bible of choice. A must have for any Christian believer!!
on 9 February 1999
When I bought this Bible, I was amazed. I have quite a variety of versions from the NIV to the NASB. However, this ranks near the top of my list. The NJB is not too liberal, nor is it too fundamentalist conservative. It is even-handed and the notes, maps, and references are second to none, perhaps only to the NIV study Bible. The translation is clear and fairly poetic. As an evangelical scholarly Christian whose pursuit of God's truth is never finished, the NJB is a treasured Bible indeed.
on 13 April 1998
The scholarship is excellent. The prose is precise. The footnotes are extremely helpful in understanding the translation. The version of this bible without the footnotes is still very good, however, the footnotes provide important insights into the text. If you only own one bible, or you want to give a bible to someone, this is that bible.
on 5 May 2009
This very reasonably priced edition was very suitable as gifts for a confirmation class. The type is large enough to be easily read but this edition is still very portable.The hard cover marks it as something to be treasured but its appearance suggests that it is to be opened and read! The translation into easily understood contemporary English allows the reader to ponder the meaning behind the words without the distraction of unfamiliar language.
on 12 January 2004
The only real objection I have to this edition is the paper quality and small print (but then again, you can't expect anything else from a pocket edition). The various headings make navigation a breeze, but slow your reading down a bit.
Other than that though, this is a great little Bible to own. The translation of the Hebrew is especially good, with the Divine Name being used.The Septuagint has been used as little as possible. Italics are used where it has.
This Bible uses the Catholic canon, which means the Deuterocanonical/Apocryphal books are included in the Old Testament.
The notes, although not as extensive in the pocket edition, are very useful. They talk about the nature of the books, their content, their authors, etc.
If you are looking for a new Bible, I would definately reckommend the NJB, although I'd probably buy the Standard edition, not the pocket version, as it is easier to read.
on 4 November 2008
I have a copy of the Jerusalem Bible that I bought in 1969. No other version comes near, in terms of clarity of language. There is a feel of reality about it - that I am reading and understanding the words of the various authors in a way that reflects the actual words used in the various original Hebrew and Aramaic languages. I don't know these languages, so I cannot be certain, but there is a scholarly feel about the whole thing, and the various footnotes and introductions answer many queries that I have had. It's a marvellous achievement, and although I appreciate that some people will find the pocket-size version useful I would hate to be without the footnote references. A great collection of writings, vividly evoking attitudes, people and places, especially the person of Jesus. Invaluable to me for almost forty years.
on 11 July 1998
This is an excellent resource for anyone interested in a detailed bible study. While the translation itself is good and very readable, it is not a literal translation. The real strength of the NJB lies in the extensive introductions, the notes, and numerous cross-references keyed to most verses. I would recommend this over the "readers version" which abbreviates the study notes and introductory material.