5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent introduction to Biblical Hebrew, 27 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)
I have been using this learning grammar since I first learned Hebrew in 1976. It is an outstanding introduction to a language that is difficult for most "western"-language speakers. It covers the material quite systematically, but does not move too quickly and thereby lose the student along the way. It provides a useful introductory vocabulary. The readings are largely limited to biblical prose texts, which is a bit of a shortfall, but as an introductory text it is just about the only one I would use. I heartily recommend it. I just wish that Prentice-Hall (the United States publisher) offered a paperback version here (I live in the Boston area). I plan to use the work for a class I am teaching in my small Anglican (Episcopal) Church. The fact that I am using _this_ grammar for an introductory course at a parish level speaks, I believe, for its extremely great usefulness as a teaching tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent grammar, but physically difficult to read., 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)
Introduction to Biblical HebrewI agree with the majority of reviewers who describe this book as a first-rate grammar of Biblical Hebrew. The chapters are sufficiently brief that each could be comfortably covered in a one hour session and the explanations are succinct and to the point. However there is one serious physical defect in this book that for me at least seriously detracts from its usefulness. The typescript is ridiculously small, both in its Hebrew and English components making it very difficult as well as eye-straining to read. I find it difficult to understand why reputable publishers like Prentice-Hall could possibly publish a textbook with such miniscule font size. For anyone using this book for self-instruction outside of a classroom setting there is an excellent Annotated Key written by H.M.G. Williamson to the exercises in Lamblin's book that will prove itself indispensable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grammar focused but an excellent introduction, 29 April 2010
Adam Frankenberg "Kol adam" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)
This is an excellent introductory work for anyone interested in learning Biblical Hebrew it starts at a gentle pace before building to become a more comprehensive course than most other introductory level workbooks or Hebrew grammars. It was used as the core text on my degree and I feel that because we used this work my familiarity with Hebrew grammar is better than my contempoaries who used other works. I recommend that anyone working alone with it should also get the 'answer Key' so they can check there workings in the problems that end each chapter.
I would also leave the introduction alone until after some study in the main the part of book; although it is highly interesting. When you are about two thirds of the way though this book you should already be starting to be able to read the easier narrative sections of Hebrew Bible, the vocab. is geared towards the book of Jonah at the start, but later the texts are not limited to that book. This is a really good choice my one word of warning is that the binding of the paper back edition is not really up to being carried backwards and forward to classes and i had to bind and re-bind mine with brown paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Introduction to Biblical Hebrew by Lambdin, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)
This book is a masterpiece. With its help I can learn Hebrew and teacher support is even not necessary.
Also, the quality of this edition must me noticed. The book is made in such a way that would guarantee years of intensive usage.
Before I decided to purchase this one I was looking for opinions from the Hebrew teachers and there is no doubt among them that Lambdin's work is the best choice.
I'd also like to note that there is a special paper used which would guarantee that all little vocalization marks will not disappear after some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants a thorough introduction to biblical Hebrew. I'm very happy with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars and this is an excellent accompanying text, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)
I'm studying Biblical Hebrew, and this is an excellent accompanying text.

Well laid out and structured makes it easy to find what you're looking for.

Introduction to Biblical Hebrew
Introduction to Biblical Hebrew by Thomas Lambdin (Paperback - 1 Jun 1973)
17.67