5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you're too good for this book, you're not.
I can't bear those people who tell us the older generation of advertising copywriters and art directors can't teach us anything.
Published 21 days ago by S. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts
Published 17 months ago by Ramesh Bala

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 15 July 2013
Ramesh Bala "RBala" (Twickenham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book Predatory Thinking: A Masterclass in Out-Thinking the Competition is good in parts and has some valuable insights to how the advertising industry works, which can be used by the rest of us who dont work in advertising or creative industry in general. However the biggest issue I have with Dave is he makes a few lame remarks which expose his lack of research in some of the topics he dabbles in.

As an example in one part of the book he expresses his genuine admiration of some of the greatest minds - Hawkins, Winston, Dawkins etc. but does his credibility no favour by later in the book going on to say things such as there is no difference between logic and superstition - the very things people like Dawkins are vehemently against. He says things such as 'We've [those who rely on logic] just got different superstitions, thats all. Logic is our superstition'. Dave, if I admire somebody who is superstitious, I wouldn't like to compensate my position by trying to justify their superstitions. Rather I would overlook that aspect of theirs and focus on the other aspects that I genuinely admire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read before you buy, 1 July 2013
This has been well reviewed by others, but I am at a loss to know why. It is no more than a list of pointless anecdotes.

It feels like being collared by an especially boorish retired executive at a bar some night and being browbeaten into listening to his "insights" into all that is wrong with the world

Who am I to say these will help nobody ? If they work for you then good. But before you buy, do make sure you randomly flick through and read one or two. If you like them they are consistent. If not..... they are consistent.It is an easy choice.

I was livid that I had bought a Kindle book online which I would never have bought in paper format in a bookshop. But fortunately Kindle's "quick return" policy means I was allowed to return it. I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you're too good for this book, you're not., 7 Dec 2014
S. Foster "sfoster105" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Predatory Thinking: A Masterclass in Out-Thinking the Competition (Hardcover)
The message from Trott (second wave) is the same as the message from Ogilvy (first wave). When you stop being a student of advertising it's time to quit. If you think you're too good for this book, you're not. If you think you might learn from it, you are good and you will get even better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Distilled wisdom from an advertising great - lots of useful point but presentation will not be to everyone's taste, 27 Jun 2013
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dave Trott has - like many advertising executives before him - also taken a stab at passing on some of the acquired wisdom from his years in the industry to the wider audience, be it with the primary purpose to educate, or to raise enthusiasm for the field and his ventures in it.

Similar again to some, the focus lies on presenting a multitude of short stories from his life (with some literary references used, too), with which he tries to illustrate the points being made. While many of the points are faultless from a general business perspective (in the sense that the advice is likely to work) the presentation will be very much a matter of personal taste. At times the author comes across as rather brash (which may or may not work with various groups of readers) but more importantly, the whole book reads like a collection of almost bullet-pointed sentences, which in my opinion works much better in advertisements than books.

The second reason why I give it three stars is that this does not - again in my opinion - reach something like Ogilvy's Confessions of an Advertising Man in terms of quality of writing, or the presentation of the arguments (even though it is decades newer, I found few points that really struck me as novel, too - but would not detract stars from the book for that reason alone).

On the other hand, if you are looking for a concise guide on some 'predatory' style business thinking (with a focus on zero sum) and are more interested in war story type examples than a theoretical framework, all presented in a very short, easy to digest language, the book certainly has a lot to offer. And as said, much of the business advice is (as) sound (as it is common sense), so it is not all lost, even if you are not a fan of the style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick read with some useful tips, 17 Jun 2013
At first I wasn't sure about this, but the more I read of it the more I changed my mind. It's not an in-depth tome. It doesn't delve deeply into the psychology of creativity and marketing. But as a speed-read, dip-in-and-out reference manual full of ideas for lively presentations, seeing things differently and getting the best out of people, it's a useful addition to any marketer's library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, quick read, 30 Jun 2014
Not sure it's all that profound but it's entertaining and (somewhat) thought-provoking. Not sure I'd have paid full price but I definitely enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging my world view, and engaging with it, 4 Jun 2014
There's so much inspiration here, it is a book I want to read and re-read once every few months... Not just for advertising creatives but for anyone who is creative, in business and in life. Challenging and encouraging, I recommend this book to everyone who is ready to be shaken out of old habits and embrace a new way of seeing the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Getting Your Head around Thinking Differently, 26 April 2014
J. Farnhill - See all my reviews
I've been following Dave Trott's blog posts and this is a nice distillation of those. If you're unfamiliar with his writing, he writes how he speaks so it's short punchy sentences that don't have any flowery prose added! The book distils how to think differently and win, illustrated by a series of anecdotes and there are some real gems in here, even if you're not in marketing. I'd argue it also works well for any customer-facing industry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This book, 19 April 2014
Brilliant book full of Interesting facts - it certainly makes you look at things another way.
Well worth a read
Lynn Culver
The Thrifty London Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, useful and applicable, 14 April 2014
What makes Trott's writing so good, is just how much it makes sense - it genuinely can be applied to life in spades. A great read in any walk of life, but in advertising, it should be a rite of passage.

Predatory Thinking: A Masterclass in Out-Thinking the Competition