A book of stories about the power of the imaginative mind in the hands of a creative enquiring mind that is designed to grab your attention but makes you feel slightly short changed afterwards - somewhat like the world of advertising where its author hails from!

Published 2 months ago by Joseph Augustine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts
Published 20 months ago by Ramesh Bala

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 15 July 2013
Ramesh Bala "RBala" (Twickenham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book Predatory Thinking: A Masterclass in Out-Thinking the Competition is good in parts and has some valuable insights to how the advertising industry works, which can be used by the rest of us who dont work in advertising or creative industry in general. However the biggest issue I have with Dave is he makes a few lame remarks which expose his lack of research in some of the topics he dabbles in.

As an example in one part of the book he expresses his genuine admiration of some of the greatest minds - Hawkins, Winston, Dawkins etc. but does his credibility no favour by later in the book going on to say things such as there is no difference between logic and superstition - the very things people like Dawkins are vehemently against. He says things such as 'We've [those who rely on logic] just got different superstitions, thats all. Logic is our superstition'. Dave, if I admire somebody who is superstitious, I wouldn't like to compensate my position by trying to justify their superstitions. Rather I would overlook that aspect of theirs and focus on the other aspects that I genuinely admire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read before you buy, 1 July 2013
This has been well reviewed by others, but I am at a loss to know why. It is no more than a list of pointless anecdotes.

It feels like being collared by an especially boorish retired executive at a bar some night and being browbeaten into listening to his "insights" into all that is wrong with the world

Who am I to say these will help nobody ? If they work for you then good. But before you buy, do make sure you randomly flick through and read one or two. If you like them they are consistent. If not..... they are consistent.It is an easy choice.

I was livid that I had bought a Kindle book online which I would never have bought in paper format in a bookshop. But fortunately Kindle's "quick return" policy means I was allowed to return it. I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Faced with a problem you can't solve... get upstream and change the context, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Predatory Thinking: A Masterclass in Out-Thinking the Competition (Hardcover)

However, there are some great anecdotes containing famous quotes with elegant solutions to everyday problems, and most importantly in trying to overcome common attitudes of mediocrity, principilising (not formulating) wisdom "between the lines" of what life's circumstances brings forth has it seems been David Trott's journey since graduating from art school and we are now the benefactors of this treasure store.

I loved the observations that predatory thinking is a zero sum game at the material level in that you can't add something without taking away something; that 90% of advertising does not work; that you have to give up being spoon-fed; that believability beats truth; that trusted relationships are the ultimate point of difference among your competitive set; that not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts; that we can't assume everyone knows what we know; that we should look at the telescope from the other end; that if you cannot handle rejection you limit your possibilities for success; that lazy people don't want to grow and criticism is often more useful than praise; that resentment only hurts yourself; that those who can't, teach; that managing choice takes precedence over increasing choice; that to be reminded again "the ignorant are arrogant and cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt." (Russell); that in mass media you are only ever talking to one person; that great making simplifies and makes powerful; that "taste is the enemy of creativity" (Picasso); that it's OK to feel ncomfortable; that having the right credibility is no guarantee of being an expert; the difference between scepticism and cynicism; that don't try to be liked; that if we learn to ignore ourselves, we can do anything we want; that knowing your team's strengths and weaknesses increases trust in its capabalities; that having some skin in the game is like ham and eggs: the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed; that Germany lost the war because Hitler was a tactician (how-specialist) masquerading as a strategist (what-generalist), and therefore prone to making big picture blunders, whereas Churchill was a great strategist with tight deadlines and loose controls. I loved the example of the difference between effectiveness and efficiency, a common battle many of us face in bureacracies whose lingua franca can be the stuff of Orwellian nightmares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little snippets of inspiration, 13 Dec. 2013
I picked this out after a long review of some of the other marketing books available. I was after something to give me short snippets of inspiration...and this book does exactly that. I loved some of the stories and enjoyed the key points drawn out at the end. Some of the stories were a little flat, but still had some good takeaways which were self-drawn. The content is great (short and to the point) and the delivery complements this perfectly.

A great book to dip in and out of for a snippet of inspiration

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you're too good for this book, you're not., 7 Dec. 2014
I can't bear those people who tell us the older generation of advertising copywriters and art directors can't teach us anything.
The message from Trott (second wave) is the same as the message from Ogilvy (first wave). When you stop being a student of advertising it's time to quit. If you think you're too good for this book, you're not. If you think you might learn from it, you are good and you will get even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, 28 Jun. 2013
I don't read much, or didn't. Ask my parents, on our weekly visit to the library I refused to go in as there were 'books in there'. I'd always wait outside whilst my dad and my younger brother filled their boots. Takes a fair bit for me to pick up a book, let alone read it and this is one I couldn't put down. Its page after page of great stories and insight... a masterclass? Probably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick read with some useful tips, 17 Jun. 2013
At first I wasn't sure about this, but the more I read of it the more I changed my mind. It's not an in-depth tome. It doesn't delve deeply into the psychology of creativity and marketing. But as a speed-read, dip-in-and-out reference manual full of ideas for lively presentations, seeing things differently and getting the best out of people, it's a useful addition to any marketer's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, thought provoking, 15 July 2013
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like the author's writing style. He uses a lot of metaphor, but not in wooly way. He uses short sentences, short paragraphs, his thoughts rattle off the pages.

I like the content - his opinions on marketing and advertising - too. I don't work in those areas but I'm enjoying reading his thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for anyone short on time, 20 Jan. 2015
A great book for anyone short on time. Lot's of short stories, which will be relevant to most working in the creative industries, make it easy to put down for a few weeks and pick up again at a later date without losing any momentum. I really enjoyed Dave's way of writing and would definitely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Distilled wisdom from an advertising great - lots of useful point but presentation will not be to everyone's taste, 27 Jun. 2013
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dave Trott has - like many advertising executives before him - also taken a stab at passing on some of the acquired wisdom from his years in the industry to the wider audience, be it with the primary purpose to educate, or to raise enthusiasm for the field and his ventures in it.

Similar again to some, the focus lies on presenting a multitude of short stories from his life (with some literary references used, too), with which he tries to illustrate the points being made. While many of the points are faultless from a general business perspective (in the sense that the advice is likely to work) the presentation will be very much a matter of personal taste. At times the author comes across as rather brash (which may or may not work with various groups of readers) but more importantly, the whole book reads like a collection of almost bullet-pointed sentences, which in my opinion works much better in advertisements than books.

The second reason why I give it three stars is that this does not - again in my opinion - reach something like Ogilvy's Confessions of an Advertising Man in terms of quality of writing, or the presentation of the arguments (even though it is decades newer, I found few points that really struck me as novel, too - but would not detract stars from the book for that reason alone).

On the other hand, if you are looking for a concise guide on some 'predatory' style business thinking (with a focus on zero sum) and are more interested in war story type examples than a theoretical framework, all presented in a very short, easy to digest language, the book certainly has a lot to offer. And as said, much of the business advice is (as) sound (as it is common sense), so it is not all lost, even if you are not a fan of the style.

Predatory Thinking: A Masterclass in Out-Thinking the Competition