5.0 out of 5 stars A calming and soothing antidote to a stressed and goal-oriented quest, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Emma Cannon's Total Fertility: How to understand, optimize and preserve your fertility (Paperback)
Emma's most recent book is a soothing and calming antidote to the well trodden fertility path that can so easily become fraught and goal-oriented. It is gentle, intuitive and warm in tone - just what the often jaded fertility client needs. Most importantly, it is written with an acute and sensitive understanding of women and our sometimes complex psychological and emotional relationships with our bodies and reproductive health.

In a world where women are stronger, high performing and more achievement-focussed than ever before, the clear messages in this book act as a simple balm to calm the mind. In an age where we can make choices, be mistresses of our own destiny and go forth to conquer the world if we so wish... one small and simple fact remains, our fertile health and wellbeing is at the very heart of who we are, and if neglected will impact not only on our reproductive prospects, but will weigh heavily on our heart and soul like a shadow, weighing down overall health and vitality.

As a tonic to the achievement-oriented 'merry-go-round', Emma's wisdom counsels being kind and gentle to ourselves, giving us a welcome release from the busy, stressed and often urban lives we lead. How many practitioners will tell you to stop 'doing' and 'pursuing' and just give yourself a break, emotionally and physically? To attune with your own body and develop an intuitive understanding of you own rhythms is ultimately empowering. The fertility journey can be a sterile and soul destroying 'treadmill,' whilst at the same time laden with hope and wishfulness; Emma points out how simply getting back to basic self care through excellent nutrition and gentle therapies, multiple health benefits will ensue.

The central point made by the book (fertility needs preserving), could not be more apt or relevant. How many young girls are taught about fertile health within a mandatory sex education class at school? We all remember being handed out condoms, thinking this very funny at the time, but who mentioned to us that our 'right' to offspring is by no means a given, or a birthright? Through this book we come to understand through the circle of life that we inherit certain female health aspects from our mother, and in turn, we have a duty of care to pass such wisdom down to our daughters so they can be empowered with the knowledge that fertility needs to be understood and engaged with - not necessarily in a one-track baby-making quest, but centrally as a core lynchpin of our health and wellbeing.

The very poetry of Chinese Medicine is imbibed in the beautiful connection between the heart and the womb. Where Western medicine is so valid and awe-inspiring in its constant progress, it sometimes bypasses the link between emotional health and physical; the timelessness of the principles of Chinese Medicine, outlined by Emma, means that if nothing else, the reader will be a little softer and kinder to themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Emma Cannon, 4 Jun. 2013
G. Wyatt (London, England) - See all my reviews
Emma Cannon continues to deliver sensible, practical advice for women in all stages of their lives. She never preaches but gives solid advice as to how you can improve your fertility. Her style is approachable and thoughtful, without judgement. And I always learn something new from her.
Her chicken soup recipe from the last book is still a firm favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 17 Jun. 2013
LS (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is packed full of information yet non prescriptive and a joy to read! It should be bought for all daughters, nieces and young women you know! It has lots of common sense advice on how to keep yourself healthy so that when you decide to conceive one day you're in good shape to do so.
It's not just for those wanting help with conception, but really useful for any woman wanting to understand her body and fertility better.
It also goes way beyond the normal dry information about female biology. Emma gives words of wisdom on sex, relationships and our emotions. Best of all, its got lots of delicious recipes that promote good health.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate guide to fertility, 19 Jun. 2013
If you are wanting to read a book about fertility this is THE one to buy. This book is sensitively and beautifully written I could really relate to it. Emma Cannon's natural warmth comes through in each chapter as she discusses everything you need to know during the journey to having a baby. It was a huge comfort to me reading this and I also absolutely love the fact that her real message is about taking care of fertility..so that the next generation hopefully don't have so many problems getting pregnant. A simple message but one that is so worth taking on board. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Calm And Read This Book., 1 Aug. 2013
This is a wonderful, sane, grounded and comforting book. Whether you're exploring IVF or struggling for baby 2 or - like me - just wanting to do what you can to stay fertile and healthy until you're ready to become a mum, this book is a reassuring companion full of wise words and practical suggestions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to read, 30 Jun. 2013
This book does focus on Chinese complimentary medicine approach. It contains a real good focus on diet and is positive in its approach as you feel there is much you can do. I particularly liked e recipes. It's very accessible and you can read it quite quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 1 Jun. 2014
This is one of the best fertility books I have ever read. Emma Cannon hits the nail on the head time and time again. It almost feels like you are in consultation with her. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book got us pregnant, 7 Oct. 2013
We had been trying for some time to conceive to no avail. I started speaking to people about fertility doctors and heard from many people that Emma Cannon was the best in London. I booked an appointment to see her although it was not for a month due to scheduling conflict, so in the meantime, I decided to buy her book which is an 'East' meets 'West' approach to fertility. I followed her advice diligently, learnt a lot about my habits and personality and things that were possibly standing in the way of us having a baby. The book is written in such a concise and informative way that was in now way patronising. When I arrived to her office a month later, I found out later that day that I was pregnant! I can not recommend this book more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel much better having this book..., 19 July 2013
I don't know if this will work for us.... but I do already feel much more positive and relaxed having read this book, and that has to be a good thing! So much of what Emma says in this book makes good sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jun. 2013
Total fertility is a useful guide that is healthy for the mind and body and puts the process in perspective. Emma Cannon offers years worth of knowledge and emotional support to her clients in clinic and now brings this to millions of readers near and far. Her book offers wonderful support and is a must read for anyone embarking on the journey of fertility.

Used & New from: £3.89