Format: PaperbackChange

on 26 January 2014
A rich and ultimately inspiring, consideration of ageing. Anne Karpf writes engagingly and plants very interesting ideas which - for me at least - keep on growing after the book is done. Fun to read, brief and to the point, but followed with suggestions for further reading ('Homework'). I'd recommend this to anyone from late teens on who is interested in thinking about their life and development.

Style-wise, the book has rounded corners (in the manner of a moleskine notebook) and lots of photos, printed in black and white alongside the text on the matt pages. Clearly shooting at an intellectualism of look, rather than risk drowning among the oceans of self-help, this book lives up to its intellectual promise - but you'll get some help for yourself as a bonus.
on 12 February 2014
An interesting read with a good reference section for further research. I wasn't that interested in historical views of ageing over the centuries although they undoubtedly still have an impact on our perception of older people today. It seems a little unrealistic that we should welcome and embrace changes in appearance due to ageing and it is hard to shift a longing that we should not be considered old. I always find it strange and a bit of a shock when I'm in a group of what I perceive to be 'older people' and then realise that I am one of them. It is hard to reconcile how one feels inside with how one looks outside but the book does extol some of the virtues of healthy ageing. It is a fate we have to resign ourselves to (its better than the alternative!) and maybe this book helps a little along the way.
on 19 February 2014
In this short book Anne Karpf challenges the ageism of contemporary society and looks at more positive ways of looking at the aging process (aging being something she notes that happens from the moment we are born). Also considering notions of how gender is a factor in how older men and women are perceived and how age might come less to dominate our interactions with others, our ideally having relationships with people at all stages of the life span. inspirational
on 15 April 2014
Not sure why I bought this little book and when I read the first couple of pages I thought that this was another dreadful self help book. But it was worth persevering, it deals with a taboo subject with useful examples and ideas. It rightly suggests and emphasises that as soon as we are born we start to age and I liked the criticisms of the beauty industries as they 'segment the market' to meet our aging needs. Its an easy read well written, but a little short on evidence in some areas.
on 20 January 2014
There are half a dozen good pages in this book, unfortunately they are buried amongst the remaining pages which are hard going. Hard going because they are depressing and the material is presented as if it was a study resource book with quotes from numerous studies which add little but bulk. I would rather recommend Penelope Lively, Armonites and Leaping Fish which, by contrast, is written from the actual perspective of an old person and is determinedly optimistic, especially the first sixty pages which are superb.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2014
Great book. A really thoughtful and honest look at how we deal with ageing and how we can change our attitudes. It was a very positive read and afterwards I felt uplifted.
on 9 March 2014
Everyone both young and old should read this book. It is true that we become more individual the older we are.
on 27 May 2014
Concise and well written. Anne Karpf's book is inspiring and a great antidote to society's conventional view of ageing. It tackles both the narrative of decline, and our tendency to disavow ageing. Full of thought provoking ideas and quotes it can transform thinking.
on 11 April 2014
This is a book you can have in your bag - a real manual.
It is encouraging and makes you want to explore the inevitable process of aging - with a smile.
The book adds a personal perspective to a global megatrend. Nice done!
on 10 May 2014
A beautifully written inspiring uplifting humorous read. A must for anyone over 40!
In an ageist world, it is so great to look at all the positives about being older. Hooray for Anne Karpf!