5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and empowering
I wanted inspiration after I persevered with the NHS gyneacologist advice for 1 year which never felt like it was tailored for my needs.

Published on 6 Dec. 2011 by Vixx77

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for
Published on 15 Dec. 2010 by boo

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and empowering, 6 Dec. 2011

I would highly recommend this book to anyone trying to conceive with or without PCOS. It empowered me to feel in control of my fertility. There is nothing more formidable than a woman who wants a child. Believe you can do it and buy this book!

This is my story....
I have PCOS and I was prescribed weight loss (i'm not exactly huge, just normal 5'7" and 11 1/2 stone) various tablets Provera to bring on periods, clomid to stimulate ovulation and most recently Metformin to manage the insulin resistance caused by the PCOS, plus day 21 blood tests every cycle. When surgery was suggested, Ovarian drilling, I freaked.... surgery seemed so drastic and I wanted to explore all non invasive treatments first without wasting too much time, not getting any younger and all that clock ticking stuff.

So I looked for a book to inspire me to take control of the situation myself. The Baby making Bible has been a godsend and Emma Cannon is an Angel!

I read the book from cover to cover. It is based on the principles of chinese medicine and accupuncture/accupressure. I made small changes to my diet and lifestyle which were really easy to follow for a busy career woman. Its all about balance in your life which lets face it you will cetrainly need balance once you are a parent so its a great place to start.

I also contacted the authors clinic to find out about accupuncture. They are in South Kensington so not local for everyone and a 3 hour round trip for me. Its not cheap but its definately cheaper than IVF. I started having accupuncture weekly at the end of May.

If you can get to accupuncutre dont worry so many people have been helped by the book alone. There are many thank you cards and baby pictures in Emma Cannons practice which is testiment to her amazing abilities in the field of fertility.

I fell pregnant in my first cycle of working with the book and acupuncture. Sadly I miscarried. I don't think my body had chance to fully balance in 1 cycle.

I continued reading the book every cycle since, which breaks down each stage of your cycle into manageable sections with advice and guidance about nutrition, exercise, stress, accupressure. I also continued with the accupuncture, I needed a little longer to correct any imbalances to have a more successful outcome.

I'm now 6 weeks pregnant! Definately healthier and more balanced and really looking forward to becoming a Mum. I'm taking it a little easier this time and have everything crossed to carry a healthy baby to term and I have Emma Cannon and her 2nd book "You and Your Bump" to support me every step of the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coincidental?. . . You decide!, 21 Sept. 2010
My husband and I had been trying to conceive for almost 18 months and were about to embark on a course of Clomid when I bought this book.
My plan was to follow the basic principles through identifying my 'type' for the first month then undertake courses of acupunture in subesquent months in order to avoid taking Clomid.
I fell pregnant the first month.
Was it just my time or was it through the eating and avoidance of certain foods?
The author encourages positive thinking and in that month I certainly believed that pregnancy was achievable for me when my body was ready.
A load of old mumbo jumbo? . . . I don't think so and any woman who has been trying to conceive without success will give anything a go!
Highly recommended for sheer simplicity (and successful baby making!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it when I was 15, 26 Oct. 2010
Apart from all the title specific information that 'The Baby Making Bible' gives, what was also a huge bonus about this book was the approach to our menstrual cycle. If some of this information had been available to me when I was 15, I'm sure I would have had a very different experience of my monthly period (I may well have been too much of a teenager to listen!, but I'm sure the book could be adapted to younger readers). Since reading and applying Emma's proactive and positive approach, even now in my 40s, I have a pain free cycle, without the PMT too. It's quite a revelation and a relief! And given how tied up this whole aspect of a woman's life is with conception, I imagine it can only help, and it has, in my case.
I loved the nurturing in this book - not just getting the mind on board with this process, not just doing the right level and type of exercise, but also Emma Cannon's approach to nourishing our bodies with good food and practical, easy to follow recipes. This has all really supported me to bring fertility into my every day life in a grounded, balanced and fun way!
It is full of sound advice and is a real companion in what can be a testing and difficult journey.
Thank you Emma.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for, 15 Dec. 2010
Perhaps my own fault for not taking the time to read more about what I was purchasing, but this was not what I was looking for at all! As another reviewer has observed, the emphasis on Chinese medicine is significant. The book claims to balance the principles of western and eastern traditions, but it really felt like the focus was on Chinese principles. Now, don't get me wrong, I recognise the value of Chinese medicine, but what I was after was a more "conventional" guide to help me fully understand the western approach to baby making science. I need to get my head around that first before exploring other approaches!
Don't be put off if you want to broaden your baby making mind, perhaps if you are already familiar with the western science, as the author clearly understands her field. But if you want a straightforward, western-centric guide, this is not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars positive thinking, 18 Mar. 2012
i decided to purchase this book after reading the reviews on amazon. my husband and i had been trying for 9 months without success and were doing everything conventionally possible to try and make a baby. we were both feeling really dis-heartened and needed a new more positive approach and this book was the perfect remedy! it focuses on positive thinking, visualisations and affirmations (which my husband thought were abit silly but went along with everything the book suggested with me) and low and behold after a month of positive thinking we are now pregnant yey!!!!!! we couldn't be happier and i truely beleived in the daily affirmations that Emma suggest in the book. i visualised the ovulation, feritlisation and implantation process and it all happened like magic - my husband thinks it was just a coincidence but i think having a positive mind was key and certainly the yoga helped me relax - thank you Emma Cannon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!, 1 Nov. 2010
I used Emma's book to successfully regulate my cycle and I really enjoyed the Eastern / Chinese medicine approach to fertility. There are so many books on western medicine and fertility, giving information about gynaecological problems and so forth so it was refreshing to find a book offering something different. What I gained is that Chinese medicine is all about balance. Like one other reader, I ate so many raw foods in a bid to be healthy without realising that to conceive I also need to create a warm environment in the womb in which blood can flow better to this area. So, if I had a salad I balanced my diet by having a warm soup with it. Easy changes! I had never thought about it this way, but the book made sense to me. Look at something cold - it is solid, yet when you warm it up it is soft and flows. As well as a good nutritious diet you also need a good healthy pelvic blood flow! I've often used a hot water bottle on my tummy during a period, and never realised that there is less pain as the blood flows better! The book is also packed with recipes and lifestyle advice. I felt finally I was given some practical guidance that I could start doing immediately. If you've tried a solely western approach and feel no different, maybe take some alternative advice, cut down on the raw foods if you're a `cold type' and see what happens - I now have regular and pain free periods which is a good place to start to conceive!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous book, 11 Jun. 2011
I think this book is the most postive and practical book on trying to conceive. I love the way that Emma guides you through different parts of your cycle which dosen't put all the emphasis on the conception part but your reproductive system as a whole. I am keen to put all her healthy ideas into practice as after one early miscarriage, I want to give myself the best possible chance of a successful pregnancy, what I find really encouraging about this book is that you are concentrating very much on yourself and your wellbeing as a whole which can only be a good thing.I cannot praise this book enough and glad I came across it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to have a baby, buy this book, 7 July 2011
H. Warburg "Hatter" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is simply a fantastic book. If you are serious about getting pregnant, everything you need to know, is in here in order to prepare your body for a healthy conception.
Emma Cannon's manner is honest, caring and extremely nurturing but she also understands that people lead busy, sociable lives and cannot be expected to lead a monastic existence.
One of the reviews I read says that this is all about Chinese medicine but I actually disagree. Emma's base upon which she works is Chinese medicine and philosophy but this book is about how to use these beliefs to your advantage. This also explains her diagnoses which are all really just common sense.
If you really embrace her ideas and philosophy (and it's hard not to), you will find this not only a useful guide but also a fun companion to help you through to conception. Having been a bit sceptical at first, I now cannot recommend this book and Emma Cannon (plus her new book!) enough.
The title says it all as you will want to keep this book close to hand and refer back to it many, many times.
Good luck and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Worked for me!, 13 Mar. 2011
I had been trying for a baby for 9 months, but with irregular cycles making things slightly more difficult it seemed a trip to the doctors was looking likely. As a last resort I decided to buy a book, in the hope of lifting my spirits and maybe giving me some tips on my menstrual cycle and fertility.

I came accross this book and although a completely different approach to what I was looking for, I liked the way the Author wrote, she sounded genuine, and I instantly felt a little bit of hope.

For the first week or so, I just read the book taking it all in. As this is quite focused on Chinese Medicine, if this is not something you have ever experienced or dealt in then it can be quite mind boggling. You have to spend some time diagnosing your 'type' for which you are given a step by step guide. You then follow the tips / excersise and diet prescribed for your type. It is reccomended that you follow this for at least 4 months.

That month I ovulated precisely on day 14 (never before!) and fell pregnant that same month. Was gobsmacked to say the least!!

Since then I have recommended it to two friends, both who have been trying for a similar amount of time as me, and one fell pregnant the month after buying it too! The other is into her 2nd month of the book, but has not followed it as religiously as both myself and my other now pregnant friend!

If you are struggling, and need some hope or something to lift your spirits then you should definately buy this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness, 14 Jun. 2011
This book was a breath of fresh air. After a few stressful months of trying to conceive, I ordered this book. The book changed my outlook on 'baby-making' completely. I'm now focused on being healthy and taking practical steps. The combination of positive outlook and dietary adaptations make so much sense to me. I feel 100% better about my body's capability to conceive a healthy child, and I just know it will happen soon. Thank you Emma Cannon. I'd also like to recommend this book together with Taking Charge of Your Fertility (although the story telling is sometimes cringe inducing, it really is eye opening in terms of how the female body works).

The Baby-Making Bible: Simple steps to enhance your fertility and improve your chances of getting pregnant
Usually dispatched within 10 to 12 days