5.0 out of 5 stars A must read
This is a must buy and read for any Halo fan. Not only dose it fill in alot of gaps it also open up alot more questions that I look forward to finding out about in future books, I don't want to give anything away but....

No spoilers sory you will have to read it and find out what happens to the Spartan 2's and the Spartan 3's
Published on 27 Dec 2011 by Palin

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay story, but the characters are all strangers to me!
I was really looking forward to reading this book, and bought it once released to kindle, but unfortunately I did feel a little let down.

Published on 30 Sep 2012 by Richard L

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay story, but the characters are all strangers to me!, 30 Sep 2012

Whilst I did eventually feel gripped by the story, it took a while to get there. The first quarter or so felt a real struggle to get through, I found it hard to get used to Karen's writing style as opposed to the ease and familiarity of say Eric Nylund. That's not to say it was bad at all, just a big shift from what I have been used to with the other books in the Halo series.

I was especially interested in the continuation of the storyline from Ghosts of Onyx, but was sadly disappointed with this; the story part itself was great and fulfilled the "so, what happen's next" questions, but the characters just felt completely "wrong". It was like the characters were completely different people, they didn't behave or speak how you would expect them to at all, and it was so hard to follow or believe, because of this. Some characters have been transformed into the "bad guys" with an awful lot of hate suddenly appearing and being brought to bear, and I felt there was way, way too much focus on making these bad people, considering that their actions were no worse than many others that had been committed throughout the war.

The other annoying thing was that the book just seems to end, with no real conclusion to anything that's going on. Yes, there should be plenty that keeps the story open to the follow-on books, but this was just like it was missing a few chapters at the end, there was no real closure to anything. Other Halo books have cliffhangers etc, but the main plot in the book is usually tied up with some explanations, and unfortunately Glasslands seemed to leave everything hanging. Another chapter or section for each of the sub-plots would have probably just about done it.

There is also very, very little action, battles or combat in this book, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, the story didn't call for it. But if that's a big reason for you to be reading these books, as it used to be for me, you may be disappointed.

This might all sound a little too critical, so having said all that, the book is still definitely worth a read, if only to further the Halo story. Although don't be surprised if some well-known characters seem to have had a personality swap!

3.0 out of 5 stars Halo: Glasslands Review, 12 Dec 2011
I was really hoping for a truly interesting story, something to equal Halo: Primordium. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the author spoils the story line with the character assassination of some primary Halo characters. Yet the reason for their treatment borders on the ridiculous when compared to actions committed by the Covenant or even by people in the 20th century. If this was removed from the story line this would have be worth a high 4 or low 5 stars.

Truly hope the author improves her game for the next two books.

In response to another review, my nationality (British) or that of the author has no bearing on any of my reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Halo Glassland's - An absolutely terrible novel, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Halo Glasslands (Halo 1) (Paperback)
Word's cannot describe just how bad this book is, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

I've been a fan of the Halo Universe for over a decade. Eric Nyland's `Fall of Reach' was probably the first novel I ever read. I still feel it was largely due to Nyland's brilliantly sculpted world and characters that the Halo franchise was able to branch into so many fields of media (comics, anime, short live action films etc)

And now ten years later we have received the complete opposite of Nyland's masterpiece, a novel that is quite simply poorly written and terribly executed.

Where to start?

Firstly is the atrocious inconsistency errors. Humanity going from a decimated backwater race on the verge of extinction to economic superpower in a matter of month (despite the fact most of our worlds and production facilities have been glassed or destroyed). Then off course there is the Sangheili, a much loved and respected alien race suffering an episode of sudden extraordinary bad luck and loss of intelligence. (Such as misplacing all their capital ships and their genetically crafted engineer's. You heard me, not destroyed, not misappropriated, misplaced. We're suppose to believe top military assets were stolen as if someone left the keys in the ignition whilst billions of engineers on every Covenant world and ship vanish without a trace, it's beyond implausible!)

And there is Travis's almost nauseating obsession with demonising Catherine Hasley.

I understand that Dr Hasley is a somewhat controversial character among fans, however Travis's seemingly personnel vendetta against Nyland's principle character reaches truly ridiculous proportions at times, with Hasley being likened by Travis's own supposedly moral characters, (characters is a bit of a stretch, there basically mouthpieces all spouting the same preposterous nonsense) to some of the worst individuals in all of human history. Dr Hasley was the surrogate mother of the Spartan II program, without her guidance, love and care the Master Chief would not have been the selfless steadfast Hero of the Halo Universe we all know and love.

Halo is a Universe whose foundations have been built on a chilling credible and realistic background(with a large degree of fantastical but always believable alien cultures supporting this Universe). Glassland's throws this credibility straight out the window and replaces it with a poorly researched and ludicrous plot, flimsy two dimensional characters and complete lack of consistently with the other Halo novels and literature.

For weeks after reading this novel I kept hoping to wake up and find out Glassland's was just a bad dream, the dream you tell yourself could never happen.

Now I hope at the very least Nyland will be brought back to write the next series of novels. At most I hope that Glassland's and all subsequent novels Travis writes for the Halo Universe will be discounted to alternative fiction and discarded.

It could be the only way 343 can fix this mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 27 Dec 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read with Minor Problems to Gtart, 18 Aug 2014
I loved this book. I'd have happily given it it 5 stars but I found it hard to read at the start (as it was introducing new characters and storylines, which quickly wrapped together after introducing everyone.) and a bit confusing with one storyline as it continued from the previous book. (I believe it follows "Ghosts of Onyx")
But I found myself quickly enjoying myself, the character interactions are enjoyable and I found myself ingrossed in the storylines as they unfolded.
It's a definite "yes" to anyone who enjoys the halo universe and I'm definitely going to go and buy the next one, but I would recommend to read the previous books in the timeline first.

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Super best friends club', 16 Nov 2014
Kilo-5 aka the super best friends club, a group of soldiers put together by ONI suddenly find themselves to be the best friends a galaxy has ever known, it's so Famous Five it makes me sick. I find I am reading this trilogy simply for the lore. The writing seems childish and aimed at an age group far below that of previous books such as The Flood and the Forerunner trilogy.
Please Karen don't write any more Halo books. Stick with teen fiction or whatever it is you're into.
It has taken me 2 months to finish just one of these books it gets soooo dull!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding addition to an already great series!, 13 Aug 2014
This book blew me away. It was the first book based on a game series I've ever picked up and once I did I couldn't put it down. The story alone was brilliant, slow at times but not for long as it quickly picks up pace. More than anything I think I enjoyed it for its context within the Halo universe, it gives a lot of background to the Spartan programme, Dr. Halsey & a little background to the events between Halo 3 and 4. But I now know I need the sequel because the ending...

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment, 3 Mar 2012
I have been a Halo fan for over 10 years now. There is not a game I have not played or a piece of literature I have not read. Whilst everything previously associated with Halo has been superb this is ghastly in comparison. This book has taken everything we loved from Halo and ruined it spectacularly. From the fantastic characters established by Nylund to the gripping storyline's we have all enjoyed reading. This book has ruined it all. My main gripe is what Traviss has done to the characters in specific Halsey. It is almost as if Traviss had never read any of the other Halo canon... Oh wait she has not as she herself stated. In addition she also said that she loves to focus on characterisation. How it relates to this book is highlighted in an interview which Traviss stated "Then I rebuilt the characters using psychological profiling techniques." She then when on to say "The result is that you'll see characters you think you know portrayed differently, perhaps too differently for some fans' tastes". This is the crux of the issues. The characters have changed too much that you can no longer relate them to previous books. Therefore this book would be better to stand on it's own rather than link with Nylund's classics. Whilst this characterisation may work well with other novels she has written such as Gears of War, she can't come into the Halo universe after 10 years and start changing everything the fans have come to know and love. Herein however lies the issue. Was Traviss directed to write this book in a particular way, in which case the blame would lie with 343? Or has she just decided to write these books with her particular style?

I apologise now that it seems i'm having a go at the author but after waiting such a long time to find out what happens after Halo 3, this was a massive disappointment. However if like me you enjoy the Halo universe then regardless of this you will buy the book as I did after reading many negative reviews. Subsequently since this is a series of 3 books I will probably buy the next two. While this doesn't necessary mean I will enjoy them they are, at the end of the day, part of the Halo universe and one of which I have come to love which is why this book let me down so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Halo Glasslands (Halo 1) (Paperback)
a ok ta

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo Glasslands review, 23 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book. A story that pulls you in. If your a fan of the Halo series you will love this. Those who have not entered the series beforehand may not understand the story so I suggest reading the books in order or playing the games the same way. Either way I really enjoyed this book

Halo Glasslands (Halo 1)
Halo Glasslands (Halo 1) by Karen Traviss (Paperback - 27 Sep 2012)