on 18 September 2012
Most business books tell you to do something, or act now etc. That's great and I agree, but many of us (like me) who read these types of books are logical brain type of people who aren't too creative and find it difficult to connect the dots and create a business opportunity out of problems that are staring us in the face. This book is great because it is full of EXAMPLES, which is always what is lacking in most business books. I thought this was an excellent book because of that angle that it took. I would highly recommend it over many "established" business book authors.
on 8 January 2013
The $100 start-up is a great book for anyone starting any business at any level. Why do I say this? Because whether you are investing less than $100 or over a million somethings are always going to be true.

The book outlines using case studies different steps you can and often should take when developing a start-up. I like the fact that Chris uses multiple different business types and isn't just writing from his own experience - although we benefit from that also. He doesn't claim the book is always right all the time for every business. But that is what I like about it. It is very prescriptive without saying that the same prescription will cure all ills. In fact the book shows many cases that the same approach went different ways.

One of my favourite concepts is the Hollywood launch. This is also outlined in another great start-up book ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever. It gives a no nonsense achieveable way to launch a product or service step by changeable step.

Mostly the reason to buy this book is it shows you can do it too. And not in a cheesy over the top love fest kind of way. But in a practical get your hands dirty and don't risk having to pawn the kids kind of way.

So if you are even tempted to start something for your self this is a good book to have on the shelf. Preferably take it down and read as well though!
on 27 June 2012
I have read Tim Ferris' "4-hr work week" book. Was good, ver inspirational. "$100 start-up" is the next step. Very practical, easy to follow advice on how to get your little business going. It blends helpfull tips with snapshot of experiences form others who made it already.
If you have the fire in you, this book will help you turn it into a very rewarding way of life.
on 25 January 2013
First, I want to make clear that this book is good and worth your interest. However if you are looking for the 100$ plan or some other exact tips, then you should look somewhere else or look for the v2 of this book.

Couple notes about the book:
- The author uses the book to promote either his other ventures (travel hacking) or partners/collaborators, which is cool, as I got excited about travel hacking through this book
- The advises are more to inspire, as the rules/ways of creating successful business varies a lot from area to area
- The author however does give some good to-dos or guidelines to create a attractive offer and how to sell it.
on 25 December 2012
Let's agree on one thing. This book is super good.

Being an entrepreneur with an explosive mind and 1 million ideas constantly crossing my thoughts, I still have my challenges keeping my focus on one thing for too long. I guess I haven't found what my heart loves to do yet.

Anyway, I read the 100$ Startup in one of my down periods while in the midst of shutting down my latest venture. It took me two days to read the book and for the second time ever, I simply couldn't put the book away. It's so inspiring and it sparked one million new ideas in my mind.

A few days after finishing the book I started MeeGuide Consulting, which is based on my knowledge about trading with China. BUM, easy peasy. This book pulled me out of my down period in two days.

I would recommend this book to anyone who hasn't started yet and to all small business entrepreneurs.
on 25 May 2012
I found this to be an excellent book.

It's joined up from beginning to end loaded with great advice and it's a very easy and entertaining read.

Like many other books on this subject it's not going to tell you exactly how to create your own business because no book can but it does set out some simple steps you can take. These steps are backed up by many stories from people who have been there, done it and created good income businesses doing what they love.

I think that a number of people are going to find this book to simplified and say that there is not enough detailed information but in my opinion there really doesn't need to be anything more. What's here is more then enough to create your business, the only thing missing is the imagination and the effort from the reader. If you are lazy and want it all done for you this, like all the others, isn't the book for you. If you are willing to put in the hours and think differently you will get a lot from this book.

As I wrote at the beginning of the review this is an excellent book and as with Chris's previous book it's filled with inspiration to help you along your way.

Well done Chris.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 September 2014
This is a book written by a fascinating author whose own colourful, adventurous lifestyle has made him into a great interviewer / researcher for a wide selection of entrepreneurs around the world. Please note that the book does not purport to be about turning $100 into a million following steps one to seven. The vital ingredient the reader needs for their own definition of success is to be willing to test and adapt. This is essential not just for the beginning of the enterprise but for its growth and continuing relevance to it's customers. Many of the stories are about people's escape from what is currently not working for them. An uncompromising job. That sums up most employment. As your boss is often more focused on their needs than yours. Perhaps the job came to an abrupt end. In some cases it is about what people love to do which also earns them a living but the author is fair in pointing out that such a love match is not always possible or desirable. It teaches you to test and "lean into" (to quote Jack Canfield) your hunches to find out whether the rest of the world agrees that your offering is appealing. Certainly it beats the people who buy a pub or restaurant because they think that their talent as a congenial host will survive setbacks and disappointments, miscalculation and staffing problems. Such enterprises have high and devastating failure rates.

As a fun exercise I have identified taking £100 and buying items and reselling to see how quickly I can double my money. After all interest on accounts is so insulting that counting your money and ironing it are more satisfying than the paltry returns from a bank. To make things even more of a challenge rather than just taking the money from an account I will sell existing surplus items to get the ball rolling. After all the spirit of this book is one of freedom travel and doing what you enjoy. So buying unwanted items and selling (hopefully) wanted items is definitely part of the adventure of the book. I am happy to hear from anybody who is also up for a challenge of this kind.

The bicycle on the book cover does have relevance and it certainly gives you respect for other people's potential to achieve from an unpromising beginning. For those who want to build from the inspiration this book offers, I recommend Mike Southon The Beermat Entrepreneur: What You Really Need to Know to Turn a Good Idea into a Great Business and Janet SwitzerInstant Income: Strategies That Bring in the Cash. Even if you don't actually do anything the book is entertaining in the way that Dragons Den is to those of us who couldn't as much as invent an imaginary friend.
on 14 October 2014
I think it' a good read. The $100 Startup shows up what's possible - but Guillebeau doens't really go further than that. The book can motivate you, but if you really want to know how to approach launching a startup, "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries (for the theory) and "Running Lean" by Ash Maurya (for applying the principle) are obligatory.
It didn't leave a lasting impression, but it's a good read nonetheless so i go with four stars.
on 21 June 2012
Before opening this book, I had absolutely no knowledge of how to run my own business and make a living on my own terms. Having read it twice and bought 2 more copies for friends, I now have a strong grasp of how little I actually need to know in order to do these things. The basics are exactly that: create something with value, have a way to get paid, and find the first customer. Why it was never explained in such simple terms, with real life examples of the people and the exact figures involved, until now - I have no idea.

The book, of course, goes into a good level of detail about these points, and covers the 'why' as much as the 'how'. Anyone who would like to make ends meet through what they're passionate about and skilled in, but has no idea where to start, should be reading this book right now.
on 26 May 2012
This is an excellent book for those people who are considering setting up their own business but don't think they can afford to. While not all the examples started with $100 most of them did and the rest started with less than $1000. Considering what $100 in pounds these days then that's not bad going.

The book provides lots of great examples - all of which are people who started with little and made excellent profits - and keep on making them. There are some useful checklists and worksheets throughout the book to take you through the start up process and despite the title uses examples from all over the world so this book is relevant to everyone.

For this price I'd definitely say buy it. It's an interesting book which you can dip into when you need to, with all the worksheets also available on line.