5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think I liked it, but we couldn't do without it
Published on 7 Dec 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Lulled to sleep through boredom?
Published on 11 July 2004 by Rosalind Moss

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think I liked it, but we couldn't do without it, 7 Dec 2001
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
The colours are garish, and the words simplistic, and yet it's one of the books my 2 year old has asked for and loved since he was 6 months old. The repetitions and the rhythyms you find your voice drifting into make this a great "last book at bedtime". We read it most nights. As he got older, my son loved spotting the mouse on every colour drawing, but as a tiny baby he just seemed soothed by the word patterns.
A great part of our bedtime routine, despite my initial reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal bedtime reading, 6 Mar 2007
Caterina (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This is a lovely little book. Baby bunny sits in bed in the "great green room" and says goodnight to all the things that are in it, and visible out of the window - the red balloon, the kittens, the teddy bears in the picture on the wall, the stars, the moon, etc. The pictures alternate between brightly coloured (the green room is really, really green) and black and white, and the text is rhythmic and soothing. Ideal for 12 - 30 months. (Or tired mothers after a long day at work.)
Postscript: having now read this to 3 children over a number of years, I would recommend it as one of the items you should purchase if you are expecting a baby. Each child I have read it to has loved it. My middle son had rather delayed speech and I noticed that at 2 he was starting to come out with the words of this book - presumably because they are simple and rhythmic and very memorable. A really good book. (Plus of course though this is entirely immoral it is a nice short bed-time book if you are knackered.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Like they all say: unexpectedly incredible!, 21 Mar 2008
V. Carlin (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I tossed this rather ugly little book aside when it was given to me for my 6 month old. The pictures seemed very old fashioned and cheap - only some in colour - and it got progressively dingy. Plus the rhyme was witless.

When I moved house, this tumbled out of the books I brought with me, and I was ready to toss it aside again. But I just happened to read it to my daughter and found she was totally engrossed - she was now FOURTEEN months old. The following day, she woke in the middle of the night, screaming and impossible to settle. This was a very rare occurrence, and I wasn't sure what to do, but I remembered she'd been interested in Goodnight Moon the day before and read it to her in a low light. She stopped screaming instantly, and was lulled by the words and by focusing on the dwindling light in the book. Since then, every single time I've read it to her, it has soothed her, when she's been ill, upset, grumpy from lack of sleep or hyperactive. It is some kind of witchcraft, I tell you!

Not as sophisticated, funny or beautiful as ANY of her other books, nevertheless, this is maybe the most important baby book I own. I don't know what's in it that does the trick, but it works. I am also a convert - I find the rhymes and pictures beguiling now.

5.0 out of 5 stars My little stars favourite, 5 Dec 2005
J. A. Fraser (Tunbridge Wells, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Hardcover)
My son adores this book as he has realised that each page the moon is shown, it is slowing rising across the window; just like it does in real life. Also each page the clock gets 10 minutes later. The last page is very cleverly drawn, a beautifully well lit page. Fabulous

5.0 out of 5 stars A firm favourite with my kids, 22 Dec 2008
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I bought it on the strength of its reviews on Amazon's American site. When it arrived however, I was a bit dubious about whether it was going to be a hit with my kids. Pages were thin, pictures were quite old-fashioned (understandably because this book was written in the 50s I think!), colours were very "basic" and everything. BUT, my eldest daughter (then 3 years old) loved it. I bought a load of other books at that same time based on positive reviews for her, but this was one of the 2 or 3 storybooks that she'd choose regularly for me to read to her...
Now she's 6 and she still asks us to read it to her from time to time. She has a 2 year old baby sister who also absolutely loves this book. Night after night, I'd be asked to read it to her over and over again.
And I just don't know why! Perhaps there is some kind of charm about the book that attracts youngsters! It deserves all the positive reviews it gets - though I'm not sure if it has the same appeal to adults. It didn't for me, but I suppose this has proven to me once again that adults often fall into the trap of buying stuff for their kids just because they themselves like it and assume their kids will. I can't tell you how many things I've gotten so far for my kids which couldn't hold their attention for more than a couple of minutes. This one was worth every single penny! Its now quite tatty and dog-eared though...because its so well-read (and perhaps, well-chewed). I wish they'd come out with a hardboard version of this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good night favourite, 24 Jan 2003
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
An ideal book for sleeptime. My 3 year old son adores this book. We certainly read it each night. I have memorised the complete book! Little bunny and the house get ready for sleep. It ends with bunny in bed with all the lights off. Its adorable. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this Book to Create Happy Memories and Pleasant Sleep, 29 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This is a book that I read every night to my children when they were young. For years, I could not quite put my finger on its appeal. Finally, it clicked one day. There is a cadence to the story that is like a mediation mantra, quietly and gently calming you and your child down. In addition, the book's text and illustrations are matched in away that it is natural to point out the words and pictures to your child, and for them to do the same as they grow older. This means that you are also starting to teach reading in natural, relaxed way.
In addition, we all tend to see the glass as half empty rather than as half full. Goodnight Moon encourages a sense of gratitude for whatever is around us. That is a profound and wonderful lesson for everyone to have.
Finally, children are fascinated by how another child's room might look. So you also help them to understand the differences among families. How many other books do you know that accomplish so much?
Best of all, you and your children (and grandchildren, perhaps) will have wonderful memories to share. That's fantastic!
Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lulled to sleep through boredom?, 11 July 2004
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I think this book has lovely illustrations and a lovely soft repetitive poem that would lull me to sleep. But while I can appreciate this book, my son (14 months) cannot. Everytime I bring it out he makes it quite clear that he'd actually rather go straight to bed than have to endure it again. Maybe it'll grow on him as he gets older, but I wouldn't recommend it for the younger baby/toddler. Goodnight Poppycat is greatly preferred. As is Rod Campbell's pop-up jungle. And almost any other book he has.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hated it, but then I realised . . ., 29 Jan 2006
J. Brown "robjob3" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Hardcover)
I agree with the reader from Leeds who initially disliked this book, but came to see the error of his/her ways. I first read it to my daughter when she was about 6 months old and I thought it was a big disappointment. Garish green and orange colours and a pretty feeble rhyme (including the word "mush" just to rhyme with "brush"). And then. . . then I realised that my daughter loved it! She loved looking out for the little mouse on every page, she loved the soothing repetition of the simple rhymes, and she loved the way the little rabbit is squirming around in his bed, looking at everything in the room and getting more and more sleepy. And I began to love it too, especially the way the room gets darker and darker and the stars and the fire light and the windows of the dolls' house get brighter and brighter. It is pretty much a perfect final bedtime story - really peaceful and soothing. We read it almost every night now, and then go round our own room, saying goodnight to everything. Lovely!

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple but very atmospheric bedtime story, 30 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Paperback)
"Goodnight Moon" has enchanted both my nieces, my son and now my daughter aged two. It is a wonderful book to read just before lights out as it follows a little rabbit as he says goodnight to all the things in his room. Children love to spot the subtle changes in each picture as the moon rises, the room darkens, the hands of the clock tick on and a little mouse scurries around the room. This is a classic bedtime story which will send your children drifting peacefully off to sleep.

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (Board book - 2 Aug 2012)