4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had a grandmother like Lola ;0)
The central character Lola is an eccentric grandmother who lives in the families motel, works in the local charity shop and enjoys nothing more than spending the odd hour surfing the internet. She's very much the lynchpin of the family who they all turn to for advice, especially granddaughters Bett and Carrie, in their hour of need.

Normally the family would...
Published on 3 Aug. 2012 by Sharon

2.0 out of 5 stars An 'okay' read, not mindblowing
I didn't have huge expectations of this book as I hadn't read anything from the author.

I didn't realise it was the second book in a series either and I haven't read the 1st 'alphabet sisters' book.

The book started off slowly for me, then improved and then got back and then worse.

I wouldn't be put off reading from this author in future...
Published on 31 Oct. 2012 by Nicky B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had a grandmother like Lola ;0), 3 Aug. 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)

Normally the family would all come together to spend Christmas together at the motel but this year Lola convinces them all to go away and take a much needed break leaving her to enjoy the solace of her own company. But little do they know what she has planned...

Lola's Secret deals with a lot of complex issues such as sibling rivalry, jealously grief and depression but in a witty and touching manner.

It might have helped me to have read The Alphabet Sisters beforehand as there were the odd references to events that were covered in that book but it wasn't essential and it didn't deter from the story within this book. This was a charming read and I'll definitely be looking to read some more of Monica's books in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Sequel, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)
Lola's Secret is the sequel to The Alphabet Sisters.

The story follows the Quinlan family four years after the first book. Lola is starting to feel old, so she decides that she wants the rest of the family away for Christmas while she plans a Christmas extravaganza at the motel as a kind of last hurrah. Cooking up a scheme to attract guests, Lola finds herself in deeper water than she anticipated when not everything goes to plan.

I think i actually preferred Lola's Secret to The Alphabet Sisters. Lola is such a larger than life character and as the book mainly follows her story it was extremely vivid and enthralling.

I really liked the way the author intertwined all the different storylines together. There were quite a few twists and i have to say that i did not predict the outcomes, which was refreshing.

I really enjoyed this book. It was humorous and lighthearted with also moments of seriousness.

Even though this was a sequel, you don't necessarily have to read the first book to understand what's going on. However i definitely think that you will appreciate Lola's Secret more if you read The Alphabet Sisters first.

I would definitely recommend this book, especially if you like chick lit. And i would read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful main character!, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)
This is the first book by Monica McInerney that I have read. I loved the fact that the main character, Lola, is an octogenarian; it was refreshing to read about an older person for a change.

Through the relationships of various family members the story unfolds in a charming and easy-to-read style, but Lola remains my favourite character in this book and she was a delight to read.

I also really adore the cover to this version of the book.

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

2.0 out of 5 stars An 'okay' read, not mindblowing, 31 Oct. 2012
Nicky B (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)

I wouldn't be put off reading from this author in future but I don't think I would specifically lookout for them either.

5.0 out of 5 stars AUSTRALIAN NOVELS, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)
I ordered this before I realized it was a sequel. However, having got the first novel, The Alphabet Sisters, It is a lovely read and well worth the effort to read No1 first! I'm not a fan of the Australian setting, but was totally won over by Monica. She is a great read, wonderfully effortless book to curl up with and I thoroughtly recommend to all who enjoy the Pilcher, Binchy novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual plot., 4 Jan. 2013
Mrs. P. Meanwell (Grimsby North East Lincolnshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)
This is an unusual story with the plot moving between wartime and the next generation in the same family. It has a twist at the end. If you have read other Monica McIrney books I am sure yoy will like this one. I recommend it to eople who enjoy stories which move between different periods freely and have slightly different content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a relaxing and enjoyable read, 19 Aug. 2012
C. mc Ateer "Bookworm" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had just read the alphabet sisters,and Lola's secret,which is the follow up to this book flowed so well. The story is very moving and you just love Lola the more you read about her.I would highly recommend both these books if you enjoy a good read and want to get lost in a novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family fun and secrets., 20 July 2013
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Kindle Edition)
A pacy, light hearted read about how the lives of one family touch the lives of the community around them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Came in the middle of a story, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Kindle Edition)
Read this as part of a book club review and although easy reading it was the second (or even third) in a set and I felt I always came in too late, Australian Christmas scenes in the heat were just too far from our normal winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Lola's Secret (Kindle Edition)
I have a granddaughter called Lola, which is what attracted me, but this book is about an elderly grandmother called Lola. A good and easy read and entertaining all the way through.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lola's Secret
Lola's Secret by Monica McInerney (Paperback - 19 July 2012)