5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding edge of your seat read
Published 2 months ago by Bookie

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete tosh.
Published 20 days ago by M. Burton

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete tosh., 31 July 2014
M. Burton "Murty" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Want You Dead (Hardcover)
I'm a keen fan of the Roy Grace series having read them all but sadly this one is simply amateurish, far fetched twaddle. Most women carry their mobiles in their handbag so no matter what gizmo was fitted to overhear conversations half the time it would be ineffective. And how anyone could draw out three quarters of a million pound in cash over a few months with just "polite enquiries from the bank" is unbelievable. I get the third degree if I want a few thousand & I would not be surprised if today the bank would be required to report such large withdrawals to the authorities.Also, it seems too neat that the villains past employments have all proved useful in this plot, but how he got a fireworks license without extensive background checks would seem bit worrying. Finally, why does everyone refer to a known to be unmarried woman as ms instead of miss? Is this more pc nonsense. I won't be buying any of James' books in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding edge of your seat read, 2 Jun 2014
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
This book's an absolute stormer and worth every penny of day of publication price. Thanks to Kindle and 3g, the latest offering from Peter James arrived just after midnight. I couldn't resist a peek; big mistake, despite being tired, I was totally immersed for a couple of hours in what, I believe, is one of the best plot lines so far in the Grace series. A timely look at Internet dating and stalking.

One of the strengths of these books is the development of the main characters. But each may be read as a standalone too. Roy Grace is settled with a second wife and new baby. The question of Sandy, his former wife, has arisen consistently and this book is no exception. But is the mystery solved? I'm not giving any clues on that one! Grace is a solid and likeable individual. Intelligent, compassionate and occasionally troubled. I'm enjoying the way, as readers, we move forward with him. We share life's ups and downs and the demands of leading a Serious Crime team and striking the right work/life balance. There's been a promotion within his team and it's good to see the chemistry between individuals still at play.

These stories work particularly well as strong, well rounded police procedurals full of the challenges, pressures and tensions of major crime policing. There's a real sense of urgency as the chapters mark off dates and time. The narrative is explored from a number of viewpoints; police, victims and offender. I love the way the reader is often one step ahead of Grace. We know what Bryce intends to do and I was willing Grace to make the right connections in time! The pace is absolutely relentless.

Peter James is also a master at exploring the deviant psyche. It's almost uncomfortable at times, interpreting the world and seeing victims through the eyes and mind of Bryce, a stalker bent on revenge and retribution. He's a man whose moral compass is in free fall following rejection. Being exposed to his rationale and thought process is unsettling; his 'normal' is way out of comfort zone and incredibly chilling. But that's because he works so well as a character. With both depth and dimension, his horrific plans to mete out his form of justice to achieve salvation are brutal but plausible. And the fear experienced by others is almost palpable. Then the relief when the threat's over only to be followed by another twist...he took me every step of the way!

It's a stunning psychological thriller, taut and full of the unexpected. The tension builds and builds to bursting point. It's a compelling and truly frightening study of the nature of obsession and the effects on victims and their family. It works well in every way and at every level and I loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I would like to say that I have always been a big Peter James fan. I have read all of the Roy Grace series and have enjoyed them all immensely. I am however starting to feel that Peter is starting to run out of ideas. I know this is a winning formula for him, but the time has come for him to change things up a little. The whole Sandy thing needs to be brought to a conclusion. This is the carrot he continues to dangle in front of us in the hope that we will buy his next book. It's gone on for far too long already and I, for one have now run out of patience. I wouldn't mind if the main story was strong, but in this book it wasn't. The plots and the characters seem to be getting more bland and weaker every time.

In my view, James needs to revitalise the series by concluding the Sandy thing and take things in a whole new direction. Otherwise it's just the same old thing over and over!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite in the Roy Grace series, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
As we are now in the grip (or not) of the World Cup, I would say in football parlance that for me, this book represented a game of two halves. Despite being a Peter James fan, and having read all of the previous Roy Grace novels, I found this not to be one of his best.

I found the shift away from Grace and his team as fairly prominent characters to almost bit players a negative move. It might have worked for me had I been taken with the main plot and the featured characters of Red and her sociopathic stalker ex, Bryant. As it was in the first half I found the plot too bogged down with repetitive detail, revealed via the counselling sessions with her therapist. I wasn't sympathetic to the character of Red, far from seeing her as a strong, independent character refusing to be a victim, I found her to be quite naive, if not stupid in her actions. For example, what female estate agent (given real life events) would deliberately falsify contact details in her work diary, before going to meet a client, a complete stranger, in an empty property. - especially when she knows her ex is a threat.

I was more engaged when the plot concentrated on Grace, his forthcoming nuptials to Cleo, and the team that we have come to know and in most cases love. Inevitably Sandy does make an appearance, though whether that story resolves itself I can't say. For me the novels are as much about their stories as the crimes they are investigating. The team come more into play once the plot becomes more focused on Bryant as a suspect, rather than what he intends to do and why.

Reading this review back, it feels very negative, but given how much I've enjoyed the others, it is my attempt to explain why I didn't like this as much. Peter James is a terrific writer, and this is not a bad book, it has all the drama, tension and shocks that you want from a good thriller, itjust didn't do it for me, like some of his others. I'll still be waiting for news of the next one to see how things progress for Grace and his team.

I received my ebook via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails to impress me yet again, 9 Aug 2014
Mr. P. Datta "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Want You Dead (Hardcover)
Want you dead is not the finest piece of Peter James to date. The previous novel is dire. The same comments remain for the latest novel. The novel starts well, but my interest fades quickly mid way through. The author has this annoying tendency to waffle just to fill in pages for the sake of it. The plot concening Red, an estate agent is being stalked by a psychotic ex-boyfriend. It did not really keep me grip me for long periods. I found the Red character dull and annoying. The signature character Roy Grace is not utilised well. There are moments featuring the wedding and the role as a detective.. The author fails to impress me yet again. I had high hopes. I am doubting whether I will read another novel from the author as ideas are becoming depleted, characters are out of a cardboard and stories feel so unreal. I will award 3 stars on this ocasion. He has failed to raise the game from previous novel. The style and contents are off putting as it is repetitive. It did not blow me away at all, which I expect from a quality crime writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A change of direction for an Inspector Grace novel, 2 Aug 2014
No More Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Want You Dead (Hardcover)
Want You Dead, Peter James, Macmillan, 2014, 405pp.

This is an interesting Inspector Roy Grace novel, but unfortunately it is time-sharing with the story of the decaying relationship between the young lady whose story dominates the novel, and her loony sociopath ex-boyfriend who is stalking her with a campaign of arson and murder. Inspector Grace doesn’t even get a mention on the dust-jacket of the hardcover edition, not even on the inside of the front cover. The two stories – that of Red Westwood and that of Inspector Grace and his supporting cast eventually merge as the violence escalates, but they are definitely two separate stories for much of the book. I wasn’t particularly interested in the fine detail of Ms Westwood’s life and relationships, well-researched and written as it was; though I can’t complain about it being here, as the book wasn’t advertised as an Inspector grace novel, and I had to skim through the pages in the library to discover that it, in fact, was. I can only speculate that the author considered this an important story to tell, or he and his publisher wanted to stretch his wings and find a new audience for his books; but, I repeat, it isn’t advertises as a Roy Grace story.

That being said, as well as the police procedural story, there is much change and progress in the life of Roy Grace and his supporting cast: his friend Glenn Branson is now a single father, and Grace himself celebrates his wedding in this story, which is attended by his first wife Sandy and their ten-year-old son... The story is excellently told, and there are a number of places where hints are dropped and paths are crossed which may or may not have a bearing on the story (or even a future one). Old characters make their returns, and at least regular one makes their exit, for even the Police suffer at the hands of this particular criminal.

The story of Ms Red Westwood is hard to describe without giving too much away, but she is an intelligent, professional young woman, whose ex-boyfriend turned out to be an abusive fantasist who remains fixated on her, and is driven to murder by her eventually taking a new boyfriend. Her evolution as a character from abused and self-blaming victim to abused but fighting-back heroine is well-described – though how many abused women in the real world have the support and internal resources to overcome their ’programming’ in this way is open to question.

The villain of the piece, the ex-boyfriend, is a fairly one-dimensional character, and does seem to have escaped from a Hollywood thriller.

So, to sum up; this is an excellent (and important episode in the) Roy Grace story, but it shares the book with a second story which I did not have any real personal interest in; BUT, as this is not advertised as a Roy Grace story, so you can’t justifiably complain about that aspect of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep it real, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable enough, but I'm one of the disappointed I'm afraid. The villain has skills which would make Superman envious; the victim returns to work day-after-day having shrugged off several attempts on her life and threats to her family - and chooses to do the opposite of what any normal, terrified person might do in the same circumstances. Sack the therapist woman !
And why would Bryce want to kill Roy particularly ? Thank God for a bit of Van Morrison eh.
The Sandy thing has run it's course and whilst initially an interesting sub-plot, quite honestly, I'll be glad if what's suggested has happened to her does come to pass.
My other gripe is the "utopian" relationship between Roy and Cleo. The constant references to how deeply they love one another and the frankly saintish way in which his new Bride accepts the cancellation of her honeymoon. Or maybe I'm the odd one ? But the most annoying thing is the very un-characteristic way Roy speaks to Cleo; I think someone else has mentioned the "right back at you" response to (yet another) of Cleo's declarations of undying love. Very cringeworthy and un-Roy like.
I appreciate keeping things too real would make for quite a boring story, but the balance has been lost here and had started to shift out of kilter with the last couple of offerings.
By the way, was I supposed to know who the Irish inmate was at the end ?
On the plus side, I liked the short chapters - and I shed a tear whilst sucking on a Malteeser......

1.0 out of 5 stars Inc-Roy-dibly dire, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
Sooooooo disappointing. I've just 'discovered' Peter James and got stuck into the Roy Grace series. Having just binge read them and finished the tenth book, I was very disappointed with this offering. The story line was really weak, with holes everywhere. I don't know why James feels the need to pursue the Sandy storyline, which is tenuous in the extreme. The bit where she turns up to the wedding, has a conversation with her son about why she's crying and then leaves is ridiculous, especially when Roy Grace is the only one to see her. Oh, and his ushers are the people he manages from the crime team.

The main story had more holes in it than a sieve. Interestingly, the woman who was stalked and who inspired this poorly woven tale, has a book about what happened to her coming out and has been serialised in the Daily Mail. She went through a horrendous time, she must be delighted that her story has been so clumsily retold and embellished in this book.

The ten books in this series span around 18 months in time. No sooner than super Roy finishes one case, but another equally dramatic and action packed one begins. Plus, he's morphing into this perfect person, with the perfect wife, perfect son, surrounded by perfect people. Bleurgh. He couldn't be more smug.

The first five or so books were great, but they are increasingly losing their way. I hope the next one in this series picks up.

3.0 out of 5 stars One big tease from beginning to end, 13 Jun 2014
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
Well on the plus side it was a fast paced read which kept me on the edge of my seat, right until the end. On the negative side when it ended I felt deeply frustrated - like other readers I wanted to know more about the lives of the police characters and their families - especially Grace's lost wife Sandy, but like so often it ended on a cliffhanger forcing me to buy his next book - which will probably be more of the same!

The central story of Red and her demented ex Bryant wasn't enough to keep me interested - much of it was pretty predictable and Bryant was too much of a cartoon supervillain to be believable. I grew increasingly frustrated with the police's stupidity - they seemed to rely far too heavily on high tech gadgetry and too little on common sense. For example I could predict one obvious way a would be killer could trap a woman who works as an estate agent (think of a tragic real life case) - why can't the police on the case realise this and use it as a way to trap Bryant? (And if they had thought to install video cams and a silent alarm in her flat instead of relying on locks the mystery of Bryant's access could have been solved right from the start). As for Red - words fail me - this is a woman who insists on living in her flat (even though her murderous pyromaniac ex seems to have unlimited access to it), working at her job as an estate agent, going off to visit clients alone, who doesn't call the police after she escapes from a killer, who dislikes a 10K engagement ring because it is too 'bling' (maybe Bryant has a point :)) Are we supposed to root for this irresponsible idiot to be rescued when so many better people have lost their lives along the way?

James is trying to do too much, juggle too many storylines and ends up doing justice to none of them - possible threats to Cleo and Roy's wedding/Roy's enemy Cassian being brought in as his boss, Glenn's possible crush on Red, Bryant's attempt to frame a fireman, Sandy's possible reappearance to name but a few - in the end these just fizzle out into nothingness. I'm also getting thoroughly sick of Cleo and Roy's loved up happiness - especially as Cleo comes across as such a bland nonentity - so perfectly nice she doesn't even kick off when her honeymoon is cancelled at the last minute! Time to bring back stroppy Sandy?

1.0 out of 5 stars A truly terrible book, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
I have always been a big fan of Peter James and his hero Roy Grace. Over the years Grace has become a real person, and Brighton has been lucky to have had him as its champion. The plots have in the main been believable and convincing, and I have always been on the lookout for the next book.

But this latest book simply will not do. The story itself is well-plotted as usual, but the secondary characters are wholly unconvincing, particularly the villain of the piece, who as drawn is simply ludicrous, and much of the the prose is novelettish. The bodice-ripping descriptions of the relationship between villain and his female victim, "Red" (sorry?), are I suppose meant to add a spot of titillation, but they are absurdly overwritten and I cannot remember anything like them in earlier books.

Well before I was halfway through I found myself unable to go on. But I shall off course look out as keenly as ever for the next one, to see if James can return to his best form.

Want You Dead
Want You Dead by Peter James (Hardcover - 2 Jun 2014)
9.00