This is really well written at the start! A fantastic page-turner full of adventure and surprises for the first two thirds. Towards the end I started to lose my way however - apostrophes were missing, the wrong character names appeared in sentences and the visual descriptions became vague and confusing in places. It just seemed a bit sloppy. A shame, because this is a great story.
on 2 October 2012
When I first started to read this book I found it was difficult to get into but having gotten over that hurdle I found that I was gripped and couldn't put it down. Perfect for turning into a film or TV series. Well worth reading.
on 28 November 2012
I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. It gets a bit far fetched in the second half but just go with it. It's that rare thing, a page turner. I couldn't believe it when I found out its the first in a trilogy and the next one isn't out till July 2013. The authors have created a whole new world with new technology. It was refreshingly different.
on 25 August 2012
if you don't like swearing don't read this book!!! when will kindle give a rating to their books? an interesting story, slow start but soon gets faster and faster, shame about the language though, lost a star rating because of it. i was once told that swearing is the sign of ignorance as an adequate word cannot be found.... writers and kindle please take note
So! What do you think the various world-leaders would do if a Near Earth Object (NEO) appeared in the sky? Heaven's Shadow is about that. Not surprisingly, the appearance sparks a contest between the US and the rest of the world to get to the object first. Two space ships are sent to investigate and they discover more than they had bargained for. The NEO turns out to be alien and not necessarily friendly.

Paranoia, curiosity and courage are all displayed along with pretty natural, yet often unwise reactions. Our perspective is from the NASA spaceship's crews - their actions and reactions.

This novel is a fun read. The way people act in it seems pretty realistic. The whole alien NEO thing not so much. But that's what SciFi is, likely and unlikely thoughts about the future. What is likely is that at some point in the future an NEO could come close enough for us to visit. That's what makes it so fun to read. Knowing part of the story could possibly happen given a certain set of circumstances.
on 18 October 2012
This is one of those stories that immediately hits you as a fleshed out screenplay, with a fast pace, broad cast of characters and a plot which simply doesn't allow you to put the book down. Moody lead character? Check. Astronaut love interest? Check. Stroppy teenager? Check. Wheelchair bound genius? Check.

Each chapter feels like a 30 minute episode (perhaps the original idea?) but that's not to say it doesn't work as a book. It whips you along in a truly gripping tale of differing space centres racing to get to `Neo' first (an asteroid that is heading towards earth) and the strange happenings that occur once they land...

It has summer blockbuster written all over it- and that's no surprise since it was written by David ` Dark Knight' Goyer. This is as close as I've come this year to a popcorn movie, and I'm glad that I picked it up. So glad in fact, that I've already bought the sequel. But it will have to be a seriously good read to top this book in the action/ thriller/ sci fi stakes.
on 21 November 2011
In 2016 an object is spotted in the sky over the South Pole. It is one hundred kilometres across and heading for earth.
In 2019 two manned space crafts are racing towards the Near Earth Object, dubbed Keanu, one from the USA and one from a Brazilian-Russian-Indian coalition. Both crews want to be the first to set foot on this unknown object.
The NASA team is lead by Zack Stewart who has lost his wife three years previously and has left his teenage daughter, Rachel, behind on Earth to follow developments from NASA headquarters.
Zack's team manages to land first, but the coalition craft is close behind, and shortly after both landings explosions on the "NEO" injure one astronaut and push the object directly into Earth's orbit.
Close inspection shows that the explosions were no accident. The object was pushed into Earth's orbit on purpose, but by whom and why.
And this is not the last surprise the two crews have to face. As they start the explore Keanu they come face to face with wonder upon wonder. Some of these are delightful, while others are horrific while all of them are mysterious and inexplicable.
As the two crews find themselves having to work together, tough decisions will have to be made and survival is far from certain.

I am not, and never have been, very good at or very interested in science. And that is probably the reason I haven't read a lot of Science-Fiction either, although I do enjoy the occasional Fantasy.
I therefore don't think I'm qualified to judge this book on its scientific content or to compare it with other books in this genre.
I am however a reader and like to think I'm capable of recognising a good story when I read one. And this was a thrilling reading experience from the first to the last page.
Fast-paced, action packed and full of twists and turns, this book had me turning the pages at a frantic pace, desperate to find out what was going on, and how it could possibly end in anything other than disaster.
I liked the way a lot of chapters start with "quotes" from online message boards on which the public reacts to what they are told about what is going on during this mission. And although I have my doubts as to whether strict adherence to rules would be disregarded with an ease as described in this book, it did make the story a lot more interesting. And to be fair, it is impossible to know how anyone would react if the events described in this book actually did happen.

I am not surprised to learn that both authors of this book are script-writers and film-producers. The chapters in this book felt a bit like scenes and the pace of the story did not leave a lot of room for in-depth character development. However, neither of these "issues" spoilt the story for me, or my reading enjoyment.
I find myself slightly surprised to say that I will be keeping an eye out for parts two and three in this trilogy. I may not be a huge fan of Science-Fiction but I certainly want to read them and find out how it is all going to end.
on 21 September 2011
I thought the book was awesome, it took about 50 or 60 pages to get going but once it did I could not put it down.

The concepts and ideas used in the book were very interesting and definitely made me go away and "ponder" over a few things. You will only really understand what I mean if you have read the book.

The only bad thing is that the sequel is not out to next summer!.

Highly recommended.
on 8 September 2012
Excellent read, good ideas, and a page turner. It had a slightly slow start, but if you like good old fashioned science fiction then keep going. You will find it rewarding. I will be reading the next book too.
on 28 August 2012
I found this a book I wanted to keep on reading. There was enough character description to enable the story and plot to develop at a rapid pace, with some unpreditable and notable suprises.