5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous gift book in best Victorian tradition
A red rose means love, everyone knows that. How about Canterbury Bells or Mistletoe then? Most people know that flowers convey certain feelings and while we still revert to a floral language by giving flower bouquets on special occasions, much of the meaning behind the individual flowers has been reduced to a very limited and generalized one since Victorian times...
Published on 10 Dec. 2011 by BLehner

2.0 out of 5 stars Judging a book by its cover!
Such a beautiful looking book which looked like the perfect present for a tattoo artist friend of mine who loves flowers. The cover is gorgeous but unfortunately the illustrations inside are really poor, such a shame.
Published on 5 Jan. 2012 by Liz Higgins

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous gift book in best Victorian tradition, 10 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
Mandy Kirkby presents a wonderful book with The Language Of Flowers: A Miscellany, the official companion to the novel of the same title by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. Enveloped with beautiful illustrations and poetry, you learn about the meaning and history of fifty different flowers. Short and crisp the author introduces each flower in a perfect blend of information and fascinating references of how a certain flower makes an appearance in certain books, poems, or even paintings. An emotional dictionary and the suggestions on composing posies for specific occasions such as courtship, births, or funerals round off this miscellany.
Just like similar books were meant for the coffee table, to be studied and indulged in, in Victorian times, this adorable book has invited me more than once to browse in it since first reading it. If you've ever been fascinated by flowers and their meaning, I can only recommend this lovely compendium. It goes without saying it also makes for a lovely gift to a good friend. Just don't forget to include a freesia when you present it!
In short: A gorgeous gift book in best Victorian tradition!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Pan MacMillan. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight!, 4 Jun. 2012
Reikijo "Jojo" (Coventry. Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my sister-in-law and my daughter and they both love it! My daughter says she now knows why her Grandad put yellow roses on her Grandma's grave - you'll have to read the book to find out why!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
Beautiful book inside and out, it has a lovely vintage feel to it. I bought it as a gift for a friend and she loved it. Now I just need to buy a copy for myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars MOSS, DAFFODILS AND SECOND CHANCES, 27 Nov. 2012
Red Rock Bookworm (St. George Utah USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
My knowledge of botany could almost be described as non-existent, so in addition to an intellectually engaging, compelling and beautifully written piece of prose, THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS gave me a lesson in the use of flowers for expressing the unspoken. Never again will I select flowers for a friend's birthday, anniversary or passing without thinking about what I'd like to say and the significance of what each particular flower means.

Victoria Jones, the protagonist, is a child caught up in the tangled bureaucracy that is the foster care system. 18 AND OUT is the systems standard. Abandoned as a baby, she is desperate for love and affection but protects herself from possible rejection by assuming "I don't like to be touched" attitude that keeps those around her at arms length. Throughout the book food appears as the symbolic replacement for the love she craves. Often she hordes it while at other times she gorges on it.

The floral "education" Victoria receives from Elizabeth, a foster mother with family problems of her own, serves her well as she uses her knowledge and talent to help others cope with the snags and bumps in their own lives. Victoria, however, has a secret that is preventing her from abandoning her dysfunctional lifestyle and accepting love and the responsibility that goes with it.

Victoria's story is compelling and has an almost Dickensian quality to it. Like Oliver Twist, she wants more but does not know how to let go of her feelings of unworthiness and gracefully accept what is being offered to her. VANESSA DIFFENBAUGH has taken us on an unforgettable journey that is an exploration of the innumerable and varied aspects of love and one woman's efforts to find her place in the world. Through Victoria she shows us that with love and nurturing, it's not only flowers that can grow into something beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
The book is excellent and it arrived promptly after payment. It makes an lovely gift to someone else or for yourself. Excellent service!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Present, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
As this was a present for someone I am unable to comment personally, but the person who received this gift was very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Present, 21 Jan. 2013
C. Lintern (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
Another first class deal and very welcome christmas present which is full of good information and tips for her garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, moving book, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
I loved this book from the minute I picked it up. Beautiful and cleverly written. I sobbed through many chapters and found it really moving and memorable. I cannot wait for another book by this author and am hoping there will be one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2014
interesting book for friend

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this book !!!, 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Language of Flowers Gift Book (Hardcover)
Beautiful cover,detailed and interesting descriptions of flowers ! I am so happy I bought this !
Actually, it is hard for me to understand why people who sells flowers does not know what their flowers means, a bit of the flowers history and also maybe even a bit of their meaning in folklore.
I would like them to tell me what flower to buy to what person - but usually the only thing they know besides how to treat the flowers, is that red roses means love.
I love flowers - the Water Lily being my favorite :) This lovely book tells me a lot of what I wanted to know :) To all you who are like me and just wanted to learn more, and also to all of you who are in the flower buisness - this book will teach you a lot! Buy it, and amaze your friends, or/and your customers with your knowlegde :)))

The Language of Flowers Gift Book
The Language of Flowers Gift Book by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (Hardcover - 7 Oct. 2011)