4.0 out of 5 stars Like It
Kind of like it, certainly very different from Wilbur Smith's first novels many years ago. Quite violent in a sexual way which I was not sure about. Easy to read.
Published 6 months ago by Mrs. Ann Kennell

2.0 out of 5 stars What has happened to Wilbur Smith?
Published 9 months ago by truckdriver4roads

2.0 out of 5 stars What has happened to Wilbur Smith?, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying that I have all of the Wilbur Smith books and treasure every one. If I ever had to choose just one author to take to a desert island, it would be him. I eagerly anticipated his latest Vicious Circle and, despite all the negative reviews, I ordered it and started reading as soon as it arrived. I was on page 30 before I reluctantly admitted the reviews were correct. There are glaring mistakes - a van loaded with pallets of concrete blocks -later referred to as brick - each one "several tons" being pushed out of a van by one man. A man with a Leatherman tool removing a vehicle's spark plugs. hard enough with a proper plug spanner and ratchet. And, his language has gone so coarse and uncalled for. I always admired Smith's fine command of language and the fact that there were very few real swear words or coarse sexual references. Not any more. the prose has gone gutter-wards and, for no specific reason. The plot would work just as well without being so cringe worthy. And no, I am not a prude or have any real objection towards the kind of language you hear all over these days. It is nice sometimes to withdraw into a book that doesn't need to be "beefed up". You have to wonder just what has happened to change an author's style so completely and for the worse.
I know he is getting old but that is even more reason why he would be expected to stay true to his previous books.
Much as I hate to say it - and I never thought I would - I was disappointed with this book. It was badly written, lacked any real substance, had unbelievable characters and I felt really cheated.
Maybe this should be his last book or he should get better advisors and stronger editors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very predictable, 14 Oct 2013
Unfortunately this was very predictable with a cliffhanger end (not). Wilbur has slipped into a comfortable style that is not as enjoyable as his Sunbird type novels.

2.0 out of 5 stars retirement money, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
a message to Wilbur.Please retire now.youve earned the right to put your feet up after enthralling us for40 years with such wonderful books.This latest was just not you.Did your new partners write it? If so sack them and enjoy some leisure time.I never thought that I would write these words ,but felt I had to

1.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur Smith far below par., 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
The story was sadistic, perverted and disjointed. It was the worst Wilbur Smith novel that I have ever read, having read all of his novels.Come on Wilbur I expect much better from you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad about Wilburs decline!, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
I have every book written by Wilbur Smith, a lot I inherited from my late father. I always looked forward to his next book coming out, but after reading this drivel I wonder if I will in the future. It was badly written, daft plot, and seemed to major on the sex?
I wonder what my father would have thought of it, not a lot I am sure. Wilbur you need to get your act together or retire, I will look at the reviews on his next book before I decide to buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What's happened to Wilbur?, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
I have read your books for years & thoroughly enjoyed them, but this is pure garbage.I agree with all the others, if this is the best you can do now, pack up & fade into the sunset.

2.0 out of 5 stars Am awful and rushed offering from a once great Author., 13 Oct 2013
From the brilliance of When The Lion Feeds to this..... How sad.

If this was a novel from anyone else I'd give it 4 stars, but not as Wilbur Smith novel.

The sex is getting more and more perverted, whilst the plot flaws and inconsistencies are staggering.
I've made over 3 pages of notes on the errors that I've found in the book. I shall write them up and post them soon.
A couple of the more annoying errors are the continued reference to the I-phone S4 and staggering slip ups in the chronology concerning Carls incarceration. By my notes and calculations Wilbur has him (Carl) using an internet connection from his jail cell in what must be around 1993 and using google (which didn't exist then) and scoring thousands of results in seconds.. Didn't have broadband then either! I find the lack of research and silly errors in Wilbur's books over the last 7 years very sad. Either he is loosing his grip or using crappy ghost writers. Why don't proof readers pick this stuff up?

Sad sad sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unworthy content, 14 Oct 2013
P. Melville (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
The book degenerates into a style unrecognisable as Wilbut Smith after page 191. It is used as a vehicle for expressing dreadful sexual preferences in graphic detail which should be highlighted on the books cover.

What a pity a great writer has resorted to such sordid rubbish at the end of his career.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Ghost writer - not Wilbur Smith, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) (Hardcover)
Like his last - Peril on the Sea - this is just another writer pretending to be Wilbur Smith. It was in the papers some time back that he had signed a deal for others to ghost write - and it shows. The sexual detail, is not Wilbur, the padding is not Wilbur, the storyline is just not believable. Are we to really think the hero would do a 10 mile beach run with an 8 week old baby in a papoose? Especially when folk are out to kill her/him. The graphic detail about rape, male rape, murder etc is just not Wilbur. I have every single one of his books and it is clear to me he has not written this one. It is not a patch on the Courtneys or Ballentynes. Where is the feeling of Eagle in the Sky? The thought of the Sunbird? I will not be buying another. Sportsmen know when to quit, film stars too, even most politicians - about time you learnt Wilbur, - stop taking the money, it is ruining your reputation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sickening, 17 Nov 2013
I have read every single word that Wilbur Smith has written and have been a big fan of his for many years. I found the unbelievable gratuitous sexual violence towards underage girls in this book to be very upsetting. There is simply no need for it. If this was the first book by this author then I think it would be his last. I am not sure why the publishers allowed such a book to be printed. It really is awful. Whatever happened to the Wibur Smith of old? I normally donate books I buy to my local library - I have binned this one.

Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels)
Vicious Circle (Hector Cross Novels) by Wilbur Smith (Hardcover - 10 Oct 2013)
7.00