5.0 out of 5 stars Great book
I am enjoying this book very much, great to get to read the thoughts of such an outstanding man. Great value for money. I would most certainly recommend this book to anyone.
Published on 23 Jan 2011 by Kitty

3.0 out of 5 stars Hotch Potch of information
This book in some ways is not what its title suggests

Yes they are Mr Mandela's words, but he DID NOT have anything to do with the book. When asked to help put the book together, he declined.

What we get is a collection of diary extracts, letters, conversations that is apparently based around themes, but in the most part are disjointed and some...
Published on 20 Jan 2011 by Fred Duck

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 21 Dec 2011
I recommend this book for whoever wants to know the details hidden behind very successful people. In the book, there are lots of lessons we learn which we couldn't find anywhere else. Conversations with myself is a book that brings the deep thoughts of the man when he was walking in the dark tunnel and when there is no one to help. Great job!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson Mandela - conversations with myseld, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Conversations With Myself (Paperback)
This man is unbelievable, and a truly fascinating read. Written with amazing dignity, and obviously compelling reading.
Arrived on time.

2.0 out of 5 stars How disapointing !, 12 Feb 2013
I decided to read this book after having read the autobiography of Nelson Mandela. I think "Conversation with Myself" is not worth the autobiography because it lacks some links between the different letters and conversations reported. There are no precisions about the different people involved, so you have to know quite well Mandela's history to be able to follow up everything.

I strongly recommend the autobiography instead, "Long walk to freedom".

5.0 out of 5 stars To be read for the pleasure it brings, 1 Jan 2011
The latest and probably last book written or at least designed by Nelson Mandela himself. It is a trip back into our past because he is our past. As far as I remember Nelson Mandela was standing there as the "eternal" prisoner of South Africa. We signed petitions, we demonstrated, we read poems demanding his liberation, we took part in exhibitions to express our solidarity. And one day he was free and he has remained, even when he was the President of South Africa, or when we can see him in a film, documentary or fiction, that symbol of the eternal prisoner who will always stand for the want, lack and need, of liberation, for everyone everywhere to be liberated and free.

But this book goes so far beyond this simple recollection of ours. It depicts a full panorama of his life, his thoughts, and his feelings. Small details, small events, small fights, small victories that build a full story, a myth even, a dream of a future that has the deepest roots in the past. We feel his fears and his joys, his frustrations and his satisfactions when something is refused to him, when something is retained from him, when something is granted to him, even if with some grumbling and resentment. Life is a long series of small events and the magnitude of some is not in the events themselves but in the symbolical value they take in the minds and the eyes of the people who witness the events.

And Nelson Mandela is so true to life, so nave too. When he meets Eskimos for the first time and confronts his preconceived idea of Eskimos as uneducated people living in the frozen wild and hunting polar bears with the reality of late teenagers going to school and adults who are holding important positions in society, he retains his slightly biased surprise at a reality he could not imagine before and astonishes him still. It is simple situations like that one which make the book warm and human. When he is the "victim" of autograph hunters in London he yields because they waited a whole day for him and he had promised on his honor, a promise which they remind him of.

And he enjoys these small facts, events, circumstances. That enjoyment is so visible and palpable in all the pages that we just wonder how he has been able to retain such ability to rejoice in simple facts after so many years spent in prison and at times in the worst imaginable conditions. But he does and that is the myth. Some other books, some films show him doing some ancillary simple tasks like serving tea to his guest, though he is the president of South Africa, just out of respect for that guest of his from whom he is going to ask a favor.

That tone and atmosphere in the whole book transforms it into a story that we follow page after page, five or ten pages at a time, enjoying our making it last as long as we can, stretching the pleasure over several weeks. It is a rare book for me since it forced me to go slow, read slow, enjoy the pages and the sweet South African "idiosyncrasies" of his language and the corrections that are brought to the text here and there. I just invested this book in a long period of reading instead of just running from cover to cover. And it is my main everyday task to read books and read them fast. But this one has to be read in small installments to feel its matter penetrate our minds and feel relaxed and pleasured by the simple words and the simple feelings of a man who has been the greatest inspirer of this world for at least forty years.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne, University Paris 8 Saint Denis, University Paris 12 Créteil, CEGID

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful wonderful reading t, 27 Jun 2014
I love his humour and humility. An awesome and very humbling read. i like the short segments of each conversation on anything the interviewer or he himself touches on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Feb 2014
Excellent narration and insight into the life of true leader in history, and brilliant to hear mr Mandela in his own words

3.0 out of 5 stars Conversations with myself, 20 Feb 2014
I like the letters but I read it before the biography. I think I would have understood it more after having read the biography.I would recommend it, but with that proviso.

4.0 out of 5 stars conversations with myself, 17 Feb 2014
this book was purchased as a gift and as yet i have to learn how the recipient has found it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright!, 28 Jan 2014
It is not what I expected. It does not take away from my views of Nelson Mandela being an amazing modern day Hero. Some of the writings are long and uninteresting however others are extremely valuable can be of excellent usage to motivate others as well as oneself. It is an awesome book to have on the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 Jan 2014
very good read as expected from such a great leader. good book to take on holiday and apreciate what he did for his beliefs

Conversations With Myself
Conversations With Myself by Nelson Mandela (Paperback - 6 May 2011)
9.00