4.0 out of 5 stars The Fairy Doll and Other Tales from the Doll's House
Published on 23 Nov. 2012 by S Riaz

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely return to traditional stories
i have to disagree slightly with some of the other reviewers. Format is not all. Curious children still pick up daunting looking tomes if, say, the first chapter is read to them by an enthusiastic adult, but I agree it could be better packaged. It's really five books in one (seven stores but two of them short) and would have made a lovely and more enticing boxed set. The...
Published on 20 Oct. 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fairy Doll and Other Tales from the Doll's House, 23 Nov. 2012
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fairy Doll and other Tales from the Doll's House: The Best of Rumer Godden (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rumer Godden has been a favourite author of mine since I was a child and it is a delight to share her stories with my own five year old daughter. These are all about dolls, from those in the Dolls' House, to the wonderful Miss Happiness and Miss Flower (and later Little Plum), who get their very own Japanese dolls house, to Candy Floss, who lives in a funfair and Impunity Jane, who befriends a little boy, the Fairy Doll, who gives little Elizabeth confidence and the sad story of Holly and Ivy, who are alone at Christmas - these are really wonderful, magical tales. Unlike many of the stories published today, where even fairy stories are given a risk free, happy ever after, with no harm done, Rumer Godden was not afraid to tackle the realities of life. I am sure that many children will understand the lack of control the dolls in the Dolls' House feel about what happens to them, or sympathise with the little girl in Miss Happiness and Miss Flower, who feels so alone in a new place where she doesn't quite fit in, and even feel sad for Holly, who longs for someone to buy her at Christmas. Empathy gives us understanding and children are capable of understanding much more than they are given credit for. These stories still stand as great children's literature, precisely because they speak about things they will know and understand. Nothing much has changed from the little boy in Impunity Jane, who is called a cissy because he plays with a doll.

I do agree with other reviewers though, that this edition loses a lot from the lack of illustrations - only one at the beginning of each story is a real shame. However, the book is good value for money and some of the stories are out of print, so I will keep this one to read aloud at bedtime and perhaps buy some of our very favourite stories in another edition, easier for my young daughter to hold and with the original illustrations if possible. You cannot fault the story telling though, or the appeal to young readers. My daughter is already entranced and I am enjoying re-visiting the characters this wonderful author created.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stories, disappointing edition, 11 Sept. 2012
35 years after first reading Rumer Godden's stories as a child they still have the ability to entertain, fascinate and move me. But why have Macmillan abandoned their former high standards of production? For example the novellas "Miss Happiness and Miss Flower" and "Little Plum" were first published by Macmillan in 1961 and 1963 - in hardback like this collection, but oh so different! Jean Primrose's enchanting and subtle illustrations included both delicate full-page colour pictures and line drawings in the text; the books had patterned endpapers also designed by Primrose and lovely dustjackets over cloth boards. The books were comprehensively designed from cover to cover and gave pleasure on so many levels. A new edition by Macmillan in 2006, with new black and white illustrations by Gary Blythe, not only lacked the delicacy and charm of the original, but also sadly no longer included the detailed designs for building a Japanese doll's house that entranced young readers of the original "Miss Happiness and Miss Flower". The other stories in this volume have appeared in the past with quality illustrations by Adrienne Adams, Pauline Baynes, Dana Sainsbury and Tasha Tudor, among others.
This reader's expectations of a new edition of the seven stories illustrated by no less a talent than Jane Ray were admittedly very high - her use of colour and layering in illustration and her facility for displaying the fantastic and unreal could have produced a really gorgeous and sumptuous edition. But Macmillan have produced a meagre book - with bright pink illustrated boards showing a pleasantly dark-haired "Fairy doll", but the interior does not live up to the covers' promise of colour and life. White endpapers, and a single black and white drawing for the title page of each of the seven stories and a one vignette per story at the foot of each page of the book are indeed disappointing, given Jane Ray's flair for colourful and attractive illustration. A bigger illustration budget could have produced a genuinely modern and innovative edition of these classic stories; as it is the book serves at least to provide a cheap(ish) edition of the seven texts, some of which are now very hard to find in older, nicer editions, but it almost entirely lacks charm in design terms.
Five stars for the stories, 1 star for this edition!

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this book, 18 Dec. 2012
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ten year old twin girls love books, one in particular loves fairies, pink, glitter and magic, so I knew this book would be right up her street. Interestingly though it was her horse mad sister who picked this up to read first and she has been engrossed in it. The book is very pretty, quite hefty for a children's book - there are a lot of pages (good value for money!) The cover is all things girly and it is really pretty.

The stories themselves are really magical, having sat and read through one of the chapters with my daughters, I can see why they like it, I would have loved this as a child - but never saw it until now.

The fairy mad twin is desperate to get her hands on this book as her sister keeps revealing bits of it and driving her crazy, so I assume from that it is a winner. The only negative comment I can make is that when my daughter mentioned there were not many pictures in it, I glanced through the pages and sure enough I felt it was really lacking in illustrations.

A good book, will keep little girls quiet for hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUSPENSE AND HORROR COLLIDE WITH MAGICAL TRADITION, 8 Dec. 2012
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of the most magical books I have ever picked up. I absolutely loved it to bits
and cannot believe that this is the first time I have come across it considering it was first
published in 1947.

It is a book about living toys and each of the seven stories has a wonderful charm of its
own. This reminds me of my favourite Enid Blyton books when I was a child that I read and
re-read over and over. I loved this as much and I cannot wait for the little girls in
my family to enjoy them too.

Each of the stories have a theme of their own and children everywhere should be given
the opportunity to read them as it shows that lonely children can make friends in the
most unlikely circumstances and everything works out in the end.

Rumer Golden has achieved a masterpiece with this superb work of literary fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to read to your children at bedtime, 15 Jan. 2013
K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hadn't come across the stories of Rumer Godden as a child (with an older brother there weren't all that many dolls house stories being read at bedtime!), but I am delighted to have had the opportunity to read these to my girls and discover them later in life.

The stories are intricate and you get a real sense of the characters and they have aged very well - they certainly have really appealed to my children, particularly my 6 year old, who loves the world of the dolls that Rumer Godden has created and eagerly awaits the next instalment each night.

I think that this is best suited as a story being read to children by a grown-up, as the volume is quite large and heavy and even once my 6 year old can manage all of the words, I'm not sure that she could hold it for long to read in bed!

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of stories that captures the imagination, 4 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book contains seven stories from the Doll's House - where the dolls come to life when the little girls who own them are away. The stories really captured the imagination of my seven year old, although the text is sometimes a little old fashioned, and perhaps better read aloud to a younger child. I also think the book is very heavy for a younger child to hold, and could put them off a little. It would also be nice if this edition contained more illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stories, 14 Nov. 2012
Viki "Viki" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember reading these stories to my other daughter when she was little and she loved Tottie and all the other dolls so much we built a dolls house just like the one in the story and hunted for ages to find a 'Marchpane' doll! My eleven year old has a victoriana style dolls house too (my other daughter having grown up with daughters of her own now)so I thought I would nostalgically revisit these stories with her. She is maybe slightly too old for them now she is at High School but I know she secretly enjoyed them because she still enjoys making tiny things for the dolls house and dressing her Victorian doll family. When she's finished with the book she can pass it on to her nieces so that yet another generation can know and enjoy these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting tales from The Dolls' House, 22 Feb. 2013
H. S. Hallam "Sax Hallam" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a most enchanting and captivating book of a collection of stories about various dolls and their lives. Some stand alone, but others have a thread entwining them together. It is a book that will appeal to children of ALL ages, and makes you long for the carefree days of childhood. Apart from the wonderful story-telling, there is a message in the stories, for children and adults alike, but this is given with such a light hand that it never gets in the way of the story, and never makes you feel you are being preached to. Rumer Godden's books are always a delight, but this, for me, is one of her best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, unique stories but the presentation is underwhelming., 20 Nov. 2012
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These stories remain a wonderful remnant of a bygone age, as much a part of my childhood as Enid Blyton, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with Rumer Godden all over again. The lovely themes of dolls houses and fairies still ring true, and will last for many more generations, the original magic is still there. My only 'niggle' is the presentation. This is a brick of a book, 480 pages in hardcover, and there are hardly any illustrations. It's all just black and white text. Loved the stories, the author and the memories but underwhelmed with the appearance.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely fairy tale book, 23 Jan. 2013
Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is quite hefty but contains a number of generally well written fairy stories. The stories have engrossed my eldest daughter and if you are looking for a fairy-tale story type book this should be worthy of consideration. The illustrations aren't great - quite bland and would have been improved with a little more care and attention. But all in all you get a lot of stories for your money and if it gets them reading it has to be worth it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›