on 6 February 2008
We found this tale of Fox and his search for his clothes lovely and useful. The story is fun. The length of the story and content seems just the right appeal for toddlers (I have a 18m old ) to get interested in learning clothes & then 'getting dressed' too. The lengh of the book seems good for us so that it stays interesting (and usually we like to read it again!). We love 'lift the flap' books too & 'finding the clothes' in this one is fun.
on 18 November 2001
My son Daniel and I love this little board book. It is just the right size and robust enough for him to be involved in holding and turning the pages. There are also small board flaps which assist the unfolding story.
The illustrations have a gorgeous warmth and the colouring of the book has a creamy ochre tone and earthy colours which capture the woodland feel of the story.
The story is of a little bear in bright red waist coat, writing letters to his friends and delivering them each at their different homes around the wood. There is a sense of anticipation until all the letters are delivered and then, delightfully, one of the flaps becomes that of an envelope which you open to invite you and bear's friends to come to his party. Bear gets ready for the party baking a cake and finally welcomes all his firends at the door at the end of the book.
I love the simple text which introduces simple counting . Also the delivery of invitations to a party which children love. The book is just the right length for reading and rereading to a young baby and, I would imagine, as childs early reading book.
We love it and are off to order some more from the series.
on 13 December 2004
My 20 month old daughter loves this book. She enjoys the main story and also takes great delight in pointing out the numerous interesting items contained within the pictures. The ducks are her favourite so it's fortunate there's plenty of them!
On the downside, my wife and I are beginning to get a bit bored after several hundred readings!
on 7 June 2007
My daughter adores this book. I know it off by heart and she delights in showing me every time we read this where her head is when we get to find fox's hat!
on 15 March 2012
I bought this for my granddaughter when she was about 18 months old, together with Tales from Acorn Wood. She has just turned 4 and this is still one of her favourite "quickie" books when she's been really good and is given the treat of an extra story at bedtime. She has a twin brother, so we already read two different books and the "quickies" have to be short stories and this fits the bill nicely. However, now she can count, she disagrees with the fact that the fox has 2 socks (this is what he's looking for), because there are socks on other pages too!!!!!!!!!!! Granddaughter has to go back through the book every single time we read it to count and point out the other socks! We just grin and bear it now!

It's an excellent book and the fact that it still engages her (and her brother) now they are a little older is testament to this. Her brother prefers stories with lots of action (and preferably gore, blood and dragons), but he's quite happy to sit and listen to this time and time again.

This book will got in the "memory box" when they eventually outgrow it as it's a book we've read and enjoyed on many occasions.

Beautifully illustrated by Axel Scheffler. On a personal note, I always feel that the books illustrated by him have a lot more detail to them.

The Granddaughter really loves Julia Donaldson books and has most of her titles.
VINE VOICEon 6 February 2011
The Tales from Acorn Wood books are written and illustrated by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. Most people will know Donaldson and Scheffler as the creators of the The Gruffalo books. Tales from Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks was first published in 2000 by Campbell Books, but my edition was published in January 2011 by Macmillan Children's Books in board-book format.

The story follows Fox who seems to have lost his socks. We follow him around his house as he goes in search of the missing socks.

Each page has an illustration and two lines of the story that rhyme, but that's not all! The Tales from Acorn Wood books are "lift-the-flap" books and so all the right-hand pages have a flap in them to lift up. For example: On the page that reads "Under the stair Is a shirt to wear.", there is an illustration of Fox and Mouse standing by the stairs . Under the stairs is a little door and opening the little door reveals Fox's shirt and some cleaning equipment. Each flap is flush with the page, so they can be a little stiff to open the first time around, but we've had no problems since.

The story is fun to read. My niece enjoys me reading it to her and I quiet enjoy reading it myself! The illustrations on each page are wonderful too, with both Fox and Mouse having different facial expressions on each page. The length of the book is just about right, keeping my niece's attention all the way through. She loves to open the flaps to seen what's underneath, as well as point at various things on each page, even though we've read the book a number of times now.
on 29 November 2010
This is a lovely book that my 19 month old adores. Right from the first page he is pointing out the illustrations and learning and using new words like 'acorn' and 'mix mix' - all will become clear if you buy the book! It also starts them off with some basic counting - 1, 2,3. A really lovely book that is a nice length for a story before bed.
on 29 January 2011
We got this book for our 20 month old daughter for Christmas and she loves it. Lovely illustrations and a nice story that is just the right length to keep toddlers interested. I would definitely recommend this book to other parents of young children.
on 7 June 2010
My son is 1.5 years old and he likes this book. It is colourful with the right amount of the details. The only drawback is that it is the paper one not the cardboard so I have to turn the pages myself, I would not expect it to last long. Other than that it is very enjoyable read. Highly recommend.
on 29 January 2009
Classic Julia Donaldson, for young and old, my kids can't get enough of her books!