4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story
Published on 6 Feb 2008 by N. Fulker

3.0 out of 5 stars Flap book
Nice illustrations and story as usual from this illustrator and author. However the flaps are a little cluttered underneath making it hard to point out the objects to my toddler, especially when they are not used to objects such as a bowtie.
Published 16 months ago by Nik

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 6 Feb 2008
We found this tale of Fox and his search for his clothes lovely and useful. The story is fun. The length of the story and content seems just the right appeal for toddlers (I have a 18m old ) to get interested in learning clothes & then 'getting dressed' too. The lengh of the book seems good for us so that it stays interesting (and usually we like to read it again!). We love 'lift the flap' books too & 'finding the clothes' in this one is fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this book., 13 Dec 2004
R. Lane (Wirral, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My 20 month old daughter loves this book. She enjoys the main story and also takes great delight in pointing out the numerous interesting items contained within the pictures. The ducks are her favourite so it's fortunate there's plenty of them!
On the downside, my wife and I are beginning to get a bit bored after several hundred readings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Jun 2007
My daughter adores this book. I know it off by heart and she delights in showing me every time we read this where her head is when we get to find fox's hat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks (Hardcover)
I bought this for my granddaughter when she was about 18 months old, together with Tales from Acorn Wood. She has just turned 4 and this is still one of her favourite "quickie" books when she's been really good and is given the treat of an extra story at bedtime. She has a twin brother, so we already read two different books and the "quickies" have to be short stories and this fits the bill nicely. However, now she can count, she disagrees with the fact that the fox has 2 socks (this is what he's looking for), because there are socks on other pages too!!!!!!!!!!! Granddaughter has to go back through the book every single time we read it to count and point out the other socks! We just grin and bear it now!

It's an excellent book and the fact that it still engages her (and her brother) now they are a little older is testament to this. Her brother prefers stories with lots of action (and preferably gore, blood and dragons), but he's quite happy to sit and listen to this time and time again.

This book will got in the "memory box" when they eventually outgrow it as it's a book we've read and enjoyed on many occasions.

Beautifully illustrated by Axel Scheffler. On a personal note, I always feel that the books illustrated by him have a lot more detail to them.

The Granddaughter really loves Julia Donaldson books and has most of her titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars An existential quest for all ages., 20 Sep 2014
D. Robinson (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks (Hardcover)
Fox's socks is an existential exploration of life, where our protagonist searches for his socks, a metaphor for our ceaseless search for life's deeper meaning in an apparently meaningless and absurd world. During his search Fox discovers many other aspects of life (depicted as clothing in the book) and remains unhappy even though these provide him with greater comfort than socks alone. His nameless rodent companion finds positivity and joy throughout the search, regardless of the potential futility of the search. This is a fitting introduction to the theories of Jean Paul Sartre, Kierkegaard and Nietzsche.

However my 18 month old stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the lesson and instead focuses on happily lifting the sturdily constructed flaps within this well illustrated book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 26 Oct 2011
K. perry (wales, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks (Hardcover)
a fantastic book highly recommended by me and my 3 year old son :) but if you get one you have got to get the other 3 in the set, they are all fab

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for toddlers, 27 Mar 2011
This review is from: Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks (Hardcover)
My children love books by Julia Donaldson and this book is no exception. Great for the younger reader as the stories are shorter and simple with the bonus of being able to lift lots of flaps :) Both my 2 and 4 year old love this book and ask me to read it over and over again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 7 Jun 2010
My son is 1.5 years old and he likes this book. It is colourful with the right amount of the details. The only drawback is that it is the paper one not the cardboard so I have to turn the pages myself, I would not expect it to last long. Other than that it is very enjoyable read. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fox's Socks is read 10 times a day in our house!, 22 Oct 2000
By A Customer
My 1 year old loves lift-the-flap books, and for some reason this one has particularly caught his attention.
The illustrations are beautiful and the tale endearing, which means parents won't get tooo bored at having to read it at least ten times a day!
Its also a nice introduction to rhyming verse, and I think the lilting cadence of your voice whilst reading it may be another reason for its popularity

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Jan 2009
Classic Julia Donaldson, for young and old, my kids can't get enough of her books!

Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks
Tales From Acorn Wood: Fox's Socks by Julia Donaldson (Hardcover - 7 Jan 2011)