on 24 August 2015
A lovely story about a mermaid who longed for a different life and was taken in by the false promises of a greedy circus master, only to discover that the grass was not greener and that she did in fact have everything she needed and that made her happy back home. A captivating tale thoroughly enjoyed by my 4 year old daughter and I, beautifully illustrated throughout.
on 21 May 2012
Some other reviewers here have commented that this is a more girly book. As the mother of a four year old boy and 2.5 year old girl, I can say both were equally enchanted by this book. I am not sure exactly which parts of the book some deemed as being "girly" - the glitter or the central character of the Singing Mermaid.

The story line is absolutely superb and the illustrations by Lydia Monks complements this perfectly. A brilliant collaboration and a perfect result. We love Julia Donaldson in our house and we have most of her books with various collaborators i.e. David Roberts, Axel Scheffler and Lydia Monks. I would say that this is definitely one of her best work.

Our children love it and after just three readings, can finish some sentences in the book. Their attention is on the book from start to finish. From a parent's perspective (and I speak for both myself and my husband), it is easy to read. I bet it will even make you smile when you have finished the last paragraph.

Buy the book, you will not regret it!
on 30 July 2014
Julia Donaldson at her best and the illustrations match the story brilliantly. My twins are four and were silent throughout and totally engaged in what was going to happen to the mermaid! Fab!
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 7 year old daughter loves this book, I knew she would as she liked 'The Princess and the Wizard' from the same author.

Pros:
- the illustrations are excellent, witty and full of glitter!
- the story is easy to read and understand (6+ can read on their own, and parents can read to smaller kids)
- the book is large hardcover (larger than A4)

Cons:
- although the book is good, there are better books from Julia Donaldson. If you do not have any start with Gruffalo, if you are already a fan of the author do not hesitate to buy this (it's not as good as the Gruffalo but still excellent)
on 15 August 2015
This book is amazing and my baby loves it, I actually started reading it to her at six weeks old simply because I love reading and engaging and communicating with her, and she loves this book, it is so well written and fun and my friend's baby reacted exactly the same way when I read it to him, and he is six months old, it is just magical and my boyfriend also reads it to our baby and is amazed by the way she reacts, kicking her legs, laughing, really really enjoying it, a must for anyone looking at what children's books to buy.....
on 18 June 2012
I was concerned that it might be girly, but my little boy loves this book! There is a lot of scope for discussion in the settings and characters. The prose is clever and engaging, and the illustrations are delightful.
on 10 August 2013
My son (3 & a half) loves this book. We originally got it from the library, but have now bought him his own copy. It is a lovely story and the rhyming works very well (scans much better than The Highway Rat, for example). The illustrations are great too - I love Axel Scheffler's illustrations too, but quite nice to see something different. The price from Amazon is amazing - just over £2 delivered for a beautiful hardback book with glitter on every page.
on 20 May 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My children are at the age now where they are noticing authors and choosing their favourites. Julia Donaldson is on their list along with greats like Dr Suiss, Beatrix Potter and Roald Dahl. The Singing Mermaid is a lovely glittery book, very well illustrated and written in clear language that 6 and 7 year olds can understand. The only negative about this book is the size, it is just a little too big to fit on the average bookshelf.
on 17 July 2013
One of Julia donaldsons best books. My three year old and eight year old both love it. Lovely illustrations too.
on 16 August 2013
Julia Donaldson poetry is lovely, a real pleasure to read. I especially love this book, I think the story is wonderful and the glittery illustrations are fabulous. The detail is great, my son loves to look at all the glittery fish and shells etc. It may actually be my favourite toddler book (after what the ladybird heard, another Julia Donaldson).