5.0 out of 5 stars A Gruffalo, what's a Gruffalo?
The Gruffalo is one of the best children's book I have ever read!

I bought it when my eldest daughter was 18 months or so and she loved the rhyming and the pictures.

Now she is 5 she can read it alone and she now 'gets' the more adult bits of the books (like the fact that the Gruffalo thinks the animals are scared of the mouse, whilst they're...
Published on 21 Nov. 2006 by S. Hearl

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong age group for the story - lovely illustrations
This story is written in a tight, intelligent structure with a satisfying ending. So why the 3 stars. Because this is not a book for a 3 year old. The ending is satisfying to older children and adults. Give me one average 3 year old who realizes that the animals are really afraid of the GRUFFALO, not the mouse. I've read this to many children and basically none have...
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 394 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful, 9 Dec. 2004
J. H. Sweet - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
What an incredible magical combination of author and artist, and what an outstanding set of books this collaboration has produced. The Gruffalo is an amazing tale that reminds me of many stories I read as a child: It has a wonderful combination of characters like The Little Red Hen, a sequence of events similar to The Old Woman and Her Pig, and the magical elements of many fairy tales. I believe Julia Donaldson is every bit as talented in creating rhyme as the great Dr. Seuss. The language has exceptional flow and makes this a fantastic read aloud book. Both children and adults will marvel at the ingenuity of our tiny hero on his journey, as well as his charm. The artwork is brilliant, and the story is superb. I recommend The Gruffalo for everyone who loves great stories and beautiful children's books.
J.H. Sweet, author of The Fairy Chronicles

5.0 out of 5 stars the Gruffalo, 25 Jan. 2006
Mrs. L. Wylie (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
I have been reading children's stories to pre-school children for nearly 20 years and have never seen one become such an instant hit. The children at nursery were so taken with this story that they immediately began to re-enact it.The wit and courage of the little mouse were inspirational and the children began to think and act like him. It's also a great way to bring a big monster down to size!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard backed book with soft pages, 12 Oct. 2010
The hard backed book provides great protection for delicate pages.

The elecronic noise pad provides a great further focus for children.

My nearly two year old loves this book and loves the noises!

I'd have prefered the noises for each to have tied better with the story.

For example, the footprints don't make footprint sounds and themouse doesn't make a mouse sound.

They could have tied the sounds with the animal sounds from the DVD of the Gruffalo (BUY THE DVDIF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE IT) just as they have done here with the frog picture (which gasps).

Having said that, my daughter sat and played with this for ages the first time and still loves it and she is the ultimate judge as to weather this is a great product. She found no fault at all.

Full marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase - much loved by all of us, 7 Jan. 2010
K. Porter "kagsporter" (yorkshire uk) - See all my reviews
This collection is a must for all children who are beginning to move out of the baby level books and are looking for colourful visuals, rich language and using the imagination. Lots of discussion about the stories and pictures and the CD is invaluable for quiet time where the little ones can listen to the story and read through the book themselves to follow it, encouraging independent enjoyment. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gruffalo, 16 Nov. 2006
Ms. A. C. Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
A really exciting book loved by a range of different ages. I've used it in the classroom in Reception (4 years old) and in Year 4 (9 years old) and both sets of children loved it. The book is a really good example of rhyming words and has really good flow to it. The characters are bright and colourful. Just one of a series of excellent books from these authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 6 Sept. 2004
John Hardy (Kenley, London England) - See all my reviews
We have many childrens books but this is by far the best read. The kids love it, both 4yrs and 6yrs. Whats also good is the adults enjoy the read and do not fall asleep themselves like with other books. If you goto to Legoland in Windosor they get to see a Gruffalo in the Fairy Tale boat ride(well looks just like one anyway). Recommended to all to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick one, 2 July 2001
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
'A Gruffalo? What's a Gruffalo?' Take a stroll with the mouse through this book and you will find out exactly what a Gruffalo is, and what an unusual diet he exists on! This rhythmic and dynamic tale, with its surprising and very reassuring culmination contains much that younger readers will find irresistable. A 'monster' book which will definitely not lead to nightmares. I rate this book very highly indeed, not least because of the flawless patterning of text and story. Julia Donaldson's illustrations complement perfectly Axel Schleffer's engaging and amusing style. No under-five's bookshelf in the land should be without this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 2 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
With work, I regularly read to children of all ages and I haven't yet met a child who didn't love The Gruffalo. The illustrations really captivate the children as they listen wide eyed to the story of the little mouse who doesn't want to be eaten. Perfect use of rhyming repetition ensures the story flows with ease - a delight to read aloud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth learning by heart..., 10 Feb. 2002
A friend bought this for our 4 year old son for Christmas, and he loves it. The combination of rhyme and repetition wtih an enchanting story and the taped narration really caught his imagination. By mid January he surprised us all by reciting the whole story to us from start to finish. I can't think of a better recommendation...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of, if not, THE best childrens book out there., 5 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
If you only buy one book this year it ought to be this one! It deserves an extra star!
I cannot add more to the wonderful comments of the other reviewers. This book is a MUST HAVE. I have no idea how many times I have read my kids this book, but in all the times I have neaver heard "not again mummy". I have a copy in both German (mother tounge) and English for my kids. All my friend's and family's kids have recieved a copy. No child or adult should miss out on this jewel of a book. Bravo to the author/illustrator team.

‹ Previous | 1 2 394 | Next ›

The Gruffalo
The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson (Board book - 4 Sept. 2009)