5.0 out of 5 stars Little fingers
What a find! A tough, sturdy board book with flaps requiring different skills. The content absorbs my [...], very active grandson totally, something which few books can do at this stage. The text can be used at different levels from simple animal noises up to story involvement. A clever, interactive, pop-up, which I would highly recommend for little fingers.
Published on 23 Feb 2007 by A. Norman

2.0 out of 5 stars ok but better books to be found
This is an old classic and its out dated. An old book for yesterdays child. Not much of a story and does not allow for child to get excited about it. Plenty of newer style books out there that really grasp childs attention.
Published 19 months ago by maza

5.0 out of 5 stars Little fingers, 23 Feb 2007
A. Norman (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Zoo (Board book)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully illustrated book that will amuse for years, 20 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Dear Zoo is a very readable and enjoyable book, with plenty of appeal, from the gorgeous illustrations to look at, to the flaps to fiddle with, and not least, the potential to make all the appropriate animal noises. This book has remained a favourite from very early on, and we have not grown bored of reading it every day.
As well as being great fun it is also educational, teaching children concepts such as "too tall" and "too grumpy" as well teaching them why zoo animals cannot be kept as pets. Children very quickly learn the order the animals appear in, and the anticipation adds to their enjoyment of this classic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for even an under 1 year old, 15 Aug 2006
Jamie Kelleher (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
My daugter is only 9 months but her attention is held simply because she is allowed to grab the flaps and see the animals.

The pages are boards so it's robust to little fingers and the flaps are strong although some adult supervision in needed for those times she wants to eat it.

Great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Firm Favourite, 12 Nov 2005
I bought Dear Zoo for my son when he was approx. 6 months old - it is still one of his favourites and he has now just turned 3! He is now telling me what the animals are and what noises they make. A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's first and favourite, 18 Mar 2008
sam155 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dear Zoo (Board book)
I first heard the story told on Cbeebies story time. I re-enacted it much to my son's amusement and we bought the book at the earliest opportunity. Its a great book with a simply premise- several pets are sent by the zoo and all are unsuitable until the last one "he was perfect. I kept him". Its a lift the flap book with just enough text to keep their attention on each page. The illustrations are simple and bold and the book presents opportunities to talk about proportions and appearances and of course, to make funny animal noises. My son, in his enthusiasm, has wrecked the first one we bought him and we are going to have to buy a new one. That's how much he loves it. Since this book, he has really learnt to enjoy books as a one to one activity with me, which makes me really happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inquisitive fun, 22 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This has been our 14 month old's favourite book for the last 8 months and it's often the first book picked from the shelf. The suspense in the story, the extra interest of the flaps and the good, clear illustrations all helped in keeping it a firm favourite with his parents too! It's also great fun making the animal noises - which always make our son laugh.
Little fingers loves lifting the flaps and the pages were sturdy enough to cope when he first learnt to turn pages when he was younger (although the flaps took a bit of a battering when he was less than 10 months if there was no parental supervision!).
His father did comment that perhaps sending presents back was not something we should encourage - but that said it's also one of the first books he chooses to read to our son!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 11 Dec 2007
V. Mccourt "Mummyoftwo" (North Lincs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Zoo (Board book)
This was a book given to my daughter for her first birthday. It was a favourite for a long time and has done a lot for promoting her language development. The pictures are lovely. The book is sturdy and unlike some flap books, they do not easily pull off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Zoo, 27 Jan 2006
Owl "Ollie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have used this book for many years with different ages of preschool children who have all enjoyed trying to guess what animal is under the flaps.
I think it not only encourages animal recognition, but animal sounds and size. It is a useful addition to any bookshelf as the children enjoy the text and can then pretend to read the book but adding in the words "I wrote to the zoo etc."
I would recommend this book to any preschool setting and I am sure the children will get lots of enjoyment as the children I have used this book with. It is probably one of the childrens favourite books.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB!!!, 27 Feb 2006
This book is a god send! It keeps my one year old entertained for hours - A complete classic, yet could be a modern story too! The "Lift the flaps" helps your child to interact with the story. The flaps in the book are quite strong and have yet to rip or tear. Excellent would recommend this to anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Childrens' Favourite, 30 Sep 2004
Ms. P. J. Grange "Penny" (San Javier, Murcia Spain) - See all my reviews
My toddler received this book when she was a baby. She loved to lift the flaps and name the animal and then make the appropriate sound for that animal. Now it is her young brother's favourite bed time book. An excellent bed time book as it is simple and entertaining to read. Definately the best book in our collection.

Dear Zoo
Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell (Board book - 2 July 2010)
5.24