1,645 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost unputdownable
Published on 4 April 2011 by Mrs. V. Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read with plenty of twists.
Published on 7 May 2011 by Mark Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost unputdownable, 4 April 2011
Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had never heard of Brian McGilloway until I received this book. 'Little Girl Lost' is a standalone police procedural set in Northern Ireland, and to be honest I have usually shied away from reading books with an Irish theme. In fact the only ones I have read previously have been those of Maeve Binchy. I found the storyline captivating, engaging, fast moving and once I started reading I found it difficult to put the book down. For me all the characters were believable. Why was the little girl found wandering in a wood only clad in her nightclothes and with her hands stained with blood? Why is she too traumatised to speak? Where has she come from? What secrets does little girl lost hold? When the police find little girl lost, they are in fact hunting for another missing girl. As the story unfolds other characters emerge including a old man with dementia who may or may not have a guilty secret, and a woman fallen on hard times through alcohol abuse. There are a few unpleasant surprises and a sting in the tail. To say more would spoil the story, but suffice to say that having read this offering I can't wait to read Brian McGilloway's Inspector Devlin stories. All in all a great read and one I would recommend to anyone who likes a good crime story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced crime novel, 16 April 2011
Sarah Lambert "Book addict" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed reading this book and would like to read other books by Brian McGilloway. The plot moved along well with some interesting twists and turns and the irish setting brought a further depth to the story. The book starts with a little girl found in the woods and once you have started reading you want to find out what has happened to her. The storyline is quite grim in places but not graphic and there are some interesting and believable characters. The main character of DS Lucy Black is a policewoman trying to do her best at her job whilst also dealing with a difficult family situation, I felt the balance between details of her life and the plot worked well together and the integration added an extra dimension to the story. I felt that her father was a well written character and accurately reflected the sad decline of someone with alzheimers and the difficulties of relationships with them. The mother seemed a less believable character but, as more details about the family's background was revealed, I began to find her relationship with Lucy more convincing. This is a good book, it doesn't move along quite as quickly as a James Patterson but there is more background detail to the plot and I think this adds extra to the story. I think that this could easily evolve into a series of books and it would be good to see how the characters developed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Police procedural novel with a background of N. Ireland "Troubles", 8 April 2011
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brian McGilloway is a new name to me but I found this police procedural novel to be very readable and enjoyable (although at times it is quite distressing) and I'll certainly look out for more books by this author. DS Lucy Black is a very believable and sympathetic main character and one can't help wondering if this will be the first of a series featuring her. 'Little lost girl' has a number of intriguing, interlocking plots involving abduction and shady business deals, all with a background of the "Troubles" - that lovely whimsical Irish word to describe the bloody civil war in Northern Ireland. There was also the seemingly gratutious inclusion of a thread concerning neglected children, which was really heartrending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read with plenty of twists., 7 May 2011
Mark Booth (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an intelligently written book, with short chapters making it easy to pick up when you have a few minutes spare. The story is quite enjoyable and has enough twists and turns, if only minor, to keep you wondering where it's going. Unexpectedly it also gave me an insight into the troubles of Northern Ireland from a perspective I had not come across before. I also liked the fact that everything was tied up nicely. So, although not ground breaking, I would happily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 18 April 2011
Tried and Tested (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd never heard of Brian McGilloway before picking up this book, even though this is his 5th novel, doing a little bit of investigation it would appear that a number of the previous novels have been nominated for awards, always a good chance that this was going to be worth reading then!

This book had me hooked right from the start, it has short chapters wich I have found help to keep the pack moving along quickly but even without these the story had drawn me in and made me want to keep reading.

I found the timing of my reading this book quite ironic. It highlights the treatment of catholic police offices during the troubles but the shows how much safer it is for them in Northern Ireland now - I was reading this as the news was showing a car bomb that killed a catholic police officer.

I thought this book was a brilliant read, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next and how all the various threads actually hung together, I also like the fact that every time you thought they'd made a breakthrough it seemed to lead to a dead end and there was more investigation needed. There was a twist, which I could see being built up to for some time but there were other ones which I didn't see coming at all.

Being a crime thriller you expect there to be violence and deaths, in books like this they don't usually bother me but I have to admit that I found one so shocking it had me in tears.

I feel I've gushed quite a lot in this review but I honestly thought the book was that good! I'll definitely be buying the other books that McGilloway has released

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Girl Lost - exceptional crime thriller, 28 Mar. 2011
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Little Girl Lost
Cracking crime novel and if you're into the Ian Rankin genre you won't be at all disappointed with Little Girl Lost. A page turner that I really couldn't put down until I'd finished reading it. Police, hospital and forensic procedures are all well researched and written about with care and detail. McGilloway has created villains who are genuinely scary and seem almost too real, you can imagine yourself meeting up with these guys and it wouldn't end well for you. The main plot centres around "the troubles" in Ireland and because that's McGilloway's homeland he writes with both realism and feeling. I enjoyed the fast pace of the novel and found myself bonding with the central character Lucy Black, who is both a remarkable policewoman and a tough, modern woman dealing with her own demons as well as an ongoing kidnapping investigation. There are adult, sensitive themes throughout the novel which involve children and I wouldn't usually read fiction concerning those issues but; McGilloway writes with an equal sense of horror and sensitivity that balances out the "nastiness". This is not a book for the faint hearted, there's a lot of violence, adult themes and vile characters but there's also tenderness and heartbreak which probably hit you harder. Certainly a book worth reading if you like hard hitting, uncompromising, dark crime stories. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi layered and cleverly done, 23 Mar. 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
At the start of "Little Girl Lost" a young child is found, wandering the snowy woods in her nightclothes, with no identification and an unwillingness to talk. DS Lucy Black is called out to the scene and so begins her story. Having returned home to care for her Father who is suffering from dementia, Lucy finds herself caught up in the case of the mysterious child, the kidnapping of a teenager, and a delve into the past of her own family. A multi layered tale, the clues are subtly included in the narrative, the author finds no need to resort to unbelievable coincidences to link one thing to another and therein lies the beauty of the story. There are a couple of things that I especially liked about this book - Firstly, the interaction between Lucy and her father, and the scene setting of what it can be like to deal with a relative who suffers from this problem - as a person who knows it first hand I can honestly say that this narrative is both extremely realistic, both with reference to the actions of Dad and the emotional responses it provokes in Lucy, and with the idea it gives of the extreme strain this can place on a relationship with a loved one. The other thing I loved was the layering of the story - a plot within a plot within a plot if you like, that kept me turning the pages long into the night. The background in reference to the "troubles" is well written and done in such a way so that you do not need to have any depth of knowledge of the history in order to follow the influences it has on the characters lives today. There is a twist in the tale and a heart wrenching moment, both of which make this just about perfect. I am hoping that we see this character again - and in the meantime I will be hunting down the "Inspector Devlin" books to have a look at. Excellent. Read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic police procedural with modern twists, 1 April 2011
Maxine Clarke "Maxine of Petrona" (Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brian McGilloway, author of Borderlands and three other excellent crime novels about Inspector Ben Devlin, here changes tack to write a readable book about a set of new characters. The main protagonist is DS Lucy Black, recently returned to Derry where she grew up but left under dangerous circumstances. As the novel opens, she discovers a young girl wandering in the snowy woods in her pyjamas. After some initial excitement from her colleagues, who mistakenly think the girl may be the missing teenager Kate McLaughlin, events temporarily settle down into a search for the girl's identity and hence family.
Lucy is one of those very dedicated officers who spends most nights in the hospital, either with the traumatised girl or with her father who is suffering the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Although she acts out of kindness, Lucy's actions not only help to sort out her own case, but have strong impacts on the Kate McLaughlin investigation and, indeed, on her own troubled past and that of her parents.
Little Girl Lost is a solid police procedural, depending for its impact on traditional detective work rather than on technology (for example, the police when pursuing a fleeing suspect do not even seem to have walkie-talkies to communicate). There is also a tense atmosphere of sexism, political unrest and the pressures caused by the Irish financial crisis. Overall, an enjoyable read with an attractive main character - brave, independent and ambitious - who, one hopes, will appear in future novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 20 Feb. 2013
Linda Thomas (England) - See all my reviews
I would like to have given this book a four maybe even a five, but one thing stops me. I found it most annoying that the author presumed the reader would know what all the abbreviations stood for. I didn't, and it kind of left out what part of the story was. If I had been at home I would have googled them, but I wasn't I was on a weekend away with no internet, so it meant I didn't know what the author was talking about. Which annoyed me... also in places he over did the descriptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real page turner., 29 Mar. 2011
Hazel Vicary "Hazel" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Because this author had been compared to Ian Rankin of whom I am a great fan, I was instantly attracted to the book though I expected to be a little disappointed as I have been in the past when authors have been described as being 'like' another. I was absolutely NOT disappointed. The pace was set right from the start and maintained right through to the end making it difficult to put the book down. Set, as it was, in Northern Ireland where I was born and brought up, it gave a good flavour of the culture, a little humour and a mix of the kindnesses and horrifying cruelties the heroine met on the way as well as being a really good story with a twist at the end I wasn't quite expecting. It also brought a stark reality to the aftermath of the 'troubles' in a very personal way. Brian McGilloway is, in my opinion, better than Rankin whom I find a little obsessed with whiskey and pubs, particularly in the Rebus series, and having discovered him I shall make a point of acquiring his other books. I sincerely hope this is the first in a series - I feel there is a lot more gripping mileage to be got from DS Lucy Black's career. All in all, a really good read...

Little Girl Lost
Little Girl Lost by Brian McGilloway (Paperback - 10 May 2012)