5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait ....
It always seems such a long wait for the new Peter James/Roy Grace to become available - and then when it is, time passes in a flash and you are totally gripped by the twists and turns of the story coming thick and fast chapter by chapter. It's almost impossible to put the book down - you actually care about Roy - and Cleo - and dread Sandy's possible return to spoil...
Published on 11 Jun. 2012 by PAPlod

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Peter James usual standard.
I enjoyed the book, as I do all of Peter James' novels, but found some of the final chapters a 'bit far fetched'. This rather spoiled the novel for me. It was not up to his usual unputdownable standards.
Published on 1 Dec. 2012 by Mrs C S Luke

‹ Previous | 161 62 6377 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The king of cliffhangers, 25 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 08) (Hardcover)
Peter James has done it again. Each book in this superb series is better than the last, and as with all good writers of suspense, there is always the hint at the end of things to come in the next novel. It is so easy to be drawn into the story; all the characters feel so real - I always have the feeling that if I visit Brighton, I may meet some of them! I think my favourite - aside from Roy - is Norman Potting, who is becoming more sympathetic with each book.

The author boldly addresses the difficulties of a police officer's life; the high rate of marital breakdown, the pressures from above, the politics which dictate how effectively or otherwise the officers can do their job. Everything is meticulously researched, so we are always fully up to date with the changes in the police force.

Nobody can ratchet up the suspense quite like Peter James. The trapdoor scene was brilliant - I couldn't read fast enough to find out how it ended.

Long may Peter James and Roy Grace flourish!

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing, 20 Jan. 2013
Karen Wilson "Karen Wilson" (Aberfoyle, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have read all the Roy Grace books and they have been becoming gradually worse - I don't need all the descriptions every book - we all know Glenn Branson is a smart dresser and Ari is a bitch. We also don't need to keep hearing about Sandy, she has been gone for 10 years, and to me it looks like Peter James has realised the books need something to make people keep coming back. To be honest, while I love his writing and I have read some of the stand alone books as well, this all feels a bit formulaic, like he knows people will read them so he is just churning out whatever rubbish he can. Please either bring back the good stuff or just kill them all off. Oh, and stop picking on Norman Potting - the world has gone mad with political correctness and sometimes the only laugh I get in these books are from Norman, if the writer hates him as much as it seems just get rid of him, but I am getting bored of the rest of the team bullying him because he is a bit different.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what has happened to this Author, 13 Oct. 2013
I have read so many Peter James novels & have raved about most but the Grace novels have completely lost their way. I didn't enjoy the last so held on until now to read this so that I wasn't wasting too much money & in the hope that he had taken on board other peoples previous reviews, but no. We still have the yawningly boring thread about Sandy, the 'Old Timer' routine with Grace & his sidekick 'I'm going through a divorce' Branson. Most of the characters are one dimensional. Then we have the odd product placement or simply standing on his soapbox about some matter or other that I REALLY am not interested in. I just want a good old fashioned crime story that is well written, strong meaningful characters with depth, without all this back & forth with side threads that actually detract from a story that could be quite good if he allowed it. Lets hope he starts writing another series of novels because I for one will not be buying any more of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 May 2015
C. D. Fenn - See all my reviews
As good as usual. Gripping!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 Dec. 2014
Enjoyable easy read books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Bit of Brighton Brilliance, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 08) (Hardcover)
Peter James is a superb writer with a real flair for developing both plot and characters. His Detective Superintendent Roy Grace of Sussex CID is a brilliant bit of creative writing, and his knolwedge of both police work and the lay of the land in Brighton and Hove combine to make this yet another eminently enjoyable read in the Roy Grace series. This latest has a Hollywood star born in Brighton returning to film in the area and particularly at the Royal Pavillion. Whar unfolds as Grace and his people try to protect her from a threat (or is it actually threats?) makes for a page turner. James manages to do a masterful job of both telling a story and of giving a sense of Brighton and Hove, an area I am both familiar with and fnd of. He is doing for Brighton and Hove what Inspectors Morse and Lewis do for Oxford--now for the television versions. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 7 Dec. 2014
So many twists,great book

2.0 out of 5 stars ROY GRACE NEEDS TO RETIRE., 8 Mar. 2013
Peter James past two books in the Roy Grace series have been very poor. In His last book NOT DEAD YET he wastes page upon page describing everything from colour of carpets to where a desk is situated, also describing every part of the police force, therefore only about a quarter of the book focuses on the actual storey, which in this case was very weak. Shan't be buying any more.

3.0 out of 5 stars We *know* Bella Moy likes Malteser's, you don't have to tell us every. single. book! (3.5 stars), 13 Jun. 2012
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 08) (Hardcover)
I love Peter James' Roy Grace books, so it was safe to say that I was really eager to read the eighth in the series. And I enjoyed it (of course I did, it's Peter James!)- but admittedly I did find it to be a weaker read than his other books, which really pains me to say. This is for a number of reasons, but for me... (*back off now and stop reading as there may be a possible spoiler here!*)

******************************************************************************

...the main bone of contention is that I genuinely don't know how much longer he can keep the whole `Sandy' saga going for. I'm frustrated with it at this point. It's brilliantly done of course, but its EIGHT books later now and I would like some kind of resolution there soon. I'm getting fed up that it just doesn't seem to be moving on quickly enough.

Also, we know Bella Moy likes Malteser's. He tells us that every. single. book. There are other tiny little aspects like this too, that just seems to be constantly reiterated and are becoming defining character trademarks. I get that possibly there needs to be a re-hash with some back story and characters etc for those people that perhaps haven't read the series from the beginning but by now (and I'm sure a lot of other fans will agree) it unfortunately feels a bit repetitive- like slipping on a pair of comfy slippers.

Good aspects though: the storyline was a bit different this time, with more links to America where obviously Peter James spends a lot of time so it added a bit of variety in that respect. It was an interesting premise with the subject matter of actors, obsessive fan-stalkers and of course, Brighton and The Royal Pavilion's history- which I found really fascinating. There were some pretty gruesome deaths too which left me wincing a bit- there's no denying that James' can write a pretty gory crime scene when he wants to! The writing as ever flows brilliantly, and though some of the storyline seemed a bit far-fetched in places I did still find it to be gripping with a few really good twists. I also liked the author's nods to social networking and some real-life actors and actresses- it made it feel very `now' and provided shreds of believability.

In terms of characters I really appreciated how Glenn Branson is stepping up to the plate a bit more. I love his and Roy's relationship and its good getting to know him more and more as the books go on. All the regular cast of characters are back here with a few new faces to get to know, so personally I would recommend reading these books in their intended order- as there is some back story that newer readers would be completely unfamiliar with.

Though regrettably I didn't enjoy the book as much as his others (obviously), I did still find it to be a page turner and of course I'm glad I read it as I love the series overall, so in that respect it was worth the wait- I'm sure the great majority of his fans will concede with that statement. However, I'm really hoping that the next one picks itself up to be on a par with some of the earlier books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Thrilling, 19 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 08) (Hardcover)
I do so love these Roy Grace books - well any book written by Peter James - and the latest one, Not Dead Yet is just as good as its predecessors! My only problem is that I can't wait for the next book and another there must be,as Sandy,(Roy's wife who walked out on him 10 years ago and hasn't been in contact with him since) has started to wreak revenge on his new family and so the plot thickens! My only suggestion is that if you are new to Roy Grace, it would be sensible to start with the 1st book in the "Dead" series which is "Simply Dead" and work your way forward. Although each story is complete in itself, the characters follow on from book to book and in particular, Roy's private life weaves its way through all the "Dead" books. Here's to more Roy Grace books and hopefully in the not too distant future!

‹ Previous | 161 62 6377 | Next ›

Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 08)
Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 08) by Peter James (Hardcover - 7 Jun. 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available