Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 January 2014
I enjoyed this final boook in the Cazalet Chronicles but not as much as the previous books. Maybe my taste has changed as, in that time, I have been reading more widely and with more variety. But it is a fitting end and quite poignant that the author died while I was reading it and I feel that she knew this while completing the saga. It all came together nicely and the ends were tied. Elizabeth Jane Howard is always a pleasure to read and I would recommend anyone to read all her books.
on 4 July 2014
I have enjoyed the Cazalet Chronicles, finding them gripping and realistic. You may enjoy this series if you like family sagas, social commentary, 20th century history. The characters are extremely well developed and Elizabeth Jane Howard writes insightfully about people, showing a depth of understanding of individual characters of all ages. The children are interstingly observed and the author is able to "put herself in the shoes" of toddlers upt to very old people and those in between. There are no goodies and baddies, just flawed and endearing individuals who respond in their own personal ways to the vagaries of life. Like all good series I wanted it to go on and on
on 18 January 2015
I was disappointed with this book, it relied a lot on rehashing the past and seemed a cheap attempt at getting one more book sold in the series which I thoroughly enjoyed. It read as if it was written by someone other than the original author too like hack...
on 22 March 2014
It has been so poignant reading the last of the Cazalet Chronicles knowing that EJH has so recently passed away herself.
Sadly there are ends that are left untied for several members of the family but that is how life is I suppose and we can each imagine our own endings for them.
What stands out about the family is the strength of the ties that bind and that there is a future for the Cazalet dynasty with all of the lovely children.
on 23 October 2014
I loved the earlier Cazalet Chronicles; It feels really wrong to in any way criticise the writing of an elderly lady who died very shortly after publication, but "All Change" is not quite up to the very high standards she set herself with th earlier books. The Light Years is one of my favourite books of all time though.
on 1 December 2013
Having just reread the first 4 books i was anxious for the new one to arrive, i wasnt disappointed immediately enthralled with the characters again. This book seems much sadder and more serious. We see deaths, serious illness, loss of partners, and ultimately the loss of the stability of the Cazalets. Clary was always my favourite character in the earlier books but she seems to have lost her sparkle in this one. Louisa must be the most unlucky character and Edward gets his just desserts. Polly on the other hand goes from strength to strength. Its difficult to write this and not give the story away but i do reccommend it highly.
on 23 August 2014
The final instalment of the Cazalet series does not let you down. I felt as if I was revisiting old friends and cannot believe that I shan't be invited into their lives any more! I have loved every single book about them, I love the characters and the era is beautifully portrayed. A wonderful series.
on 10 May 2014
Having read all the other books in the series I loved this one just as much as the others and there are wonderfully funny bits in it like the others. Sad it's the end of the family saga and there is quite a question mark left at the end about what is going to happen but I suppose we will never know as it is the last book and not likely to be any more of them.
on 18 September 2014
This final book of the Cazalet Chronicles somehow lacks the magic touch of the previous four. It appears to use the same format, yet it no longer captivates. If you have read the other four, then it is worth reading this one, to have the loose ends tied up, but don't expect the same pleasure this time.
on 4 April 2014
This book is a great rounding up and final hurrah about the Cazalet family. I loved the whole series and found the characters and the dramas surrounding this family utterly compelling. I finished it with sadness knowing that there can be no more books but also grateful to have stumbled upon such a great author in my early 20s when I read 'Getting it Right'. Fabulous, read it!