Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 June 2011
I have so far had 3 different editions of Love Letters of Great Men, this was the first and was given to me as a present. The letters are incredible, but as far as the edition, it's ok, but I wouldn't say it was great. What annoyed me most was how much the voice of the editor features throughout. In the introduction she starts talking about her boyfriend's love text to her about the football or something and how much love letters have died out and with them romance. This kind of twaddle goes on throughout the book with every biography (which are tiny, don't include much information and are not well written) containing her personal comments and some really pointless remarks. I found it off-putting how much her voice came across. However, finding the letters beautiful and addictive, I did some research and bought another edition, the one edited by John Kirkland, but that also disappointed. In fact it is almost the same book, both having almost the same amount of authors, but without the editor's voice and with a lot of errors. Both editions come across as really rushed, clumsily put together and not particularly special. The third one I bought is a more recent edition and has a lot more letters and information in it. There is no editor given but it is published by English Rose Publishing. It has a lot of letters which aren't in other editions and has over twice as many letters in, is better edited and put together. The first two resulted from the Sex and the City film so that's why they were rushed, actually looking at the publication dates now they both came out within a month of the film!
on 9 October 2008
This is a beautiful collection of love poems from Beethoven to Napoleon to name but a few. I saw this featured in Sex and the City and had to read it! I then found out it had been created following the demand after the movie and thankfully it was!
Made me laugh when one 'Great Man' wrote love letters to multiple women but I guess the heart can love more than once!
Get it for a loved one of yourself, truly heartwarming.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2009
Yes yes yes sum's this book up for me. I love books which give you that "feel good factor" Love and romance turned into beautiful poems. Worth reading and getting that lovely feeling time and time again ladies!!
on 7 January 2013
This book is not something I would usually buy but I was inspired by sex an the city to get it. I understand that before the sex and the city appearance such a book did not exist but was produced following the show. As someone who has little time to read books like this I can honestly say that I have enjoyed reading bits of this every now and then and hopefully will continue to do so. Clearly I am no expert but for me this is a lovely collection that is definitely something to hold onto in life. This would make a great present too.
on 4 February 2009
Apparently this is similar to the book read from in Sex in the City but it is a book of love letters written by famous men. I suspect it was written after the film but it is a clever thing to do and a great read.
on 15 October 2013
I purchased this book as I hoped it was the real book from SATC. Then i discovered it was created because of the movie.

I enjoyed the book as it is lovely to know that before social media and emails men were able to express their feelings through letters. Some of the letters were not that good as the men were not people I knew of. But I did enjoy the sentiments in the letters and the stories behind them.

A nice read.
on 22 July 2014
Amazing book - great read! Excellent condition for a second hand book - it is as good as new. I'd recommend this book to all who like a bit of romance, want to learn a bit of 'behind-the-scenes' about history, and those who loved the scene from the Sex And The City movie of Carrie reading a piece of the poems contained in this book to Big. Romance is not dead!!
on 16 October 2010
This is a beautiful book, it is the written love notes of great men to their partners, it is filled with inspiration, true elegance and a real sense of how people used to be able to communicate more prosaically through the written word.

I bought this as a gift to remind myself what love is, it is inspiring and beautfully presented and well worth a read for hopeless romantics and anybody who has ever been in love, or is in love.
on 26 June 2013
Before faxes and telephones and texts people actually put pen to paper and this is one of the results! I am a hopeless romantic or as some of my friends would say, just hopeless! I have enjoyed sitting with a large cup of tea curled up on the sofa with this book. Not all are too my taste but I appreciate the sentiments behind them.
on 21 August 2015
Having been inspired and uplifted by being in love, and being such a love-aholic, I decided to buy this book out of impulse. And oh my goodness I absolutely adore it; reading the love letters of world-famous legends, from Beethoven to Napoleon! Such an uplifting read. Makes me want to send love letters to my fiance, too!