5.0 out of 5 stars Good grounding for English teachers
Published on 20 Nov 2011 by D Raymond

2.0 out of 5 stars The accompanying DVD is useless - is it just my copy?
Published 20 months ago by Taneth Russell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good grounding for English teachers, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Learning Teaching: 3rd Edition Student's Book Pack (Books for Teachers) (MacMillan Books for Teachers) (Paperback)
If you're looking for a book to get you into the wonderful world of TEFL teaching, this is a very good place to start. It covers all the basics, and has enough detail that seasoned teachers can still get use from it. For years, along with Jeremy Harmer's book, it has been well known as an authoritative text on teaching English, and for good reason. However, unlike Harmer's book, it is surprisingly difficult to find in High Street bookshops. So without being able to see inside both, how do you choose which one to buy?

Personally, I prefer Scrivener because the page layout isn't as dense as in Harmer. The font is a little lighter/thinner, and the paragraphs seem shorter, and to me, this makes the information in the book seem easier to absorb. I feel able to dip into Scrivener and pick out information quickly. I realise this is a bit of a flimsy reason to recommend this book, but when you're faced with having to choose one of the TEFL methodology staples and you can't see inside (unless the publishers enable this on Amazon, or you're lucky enough to find a High Street bookshop that has both Scrivener and Harmer in stock), I think this is worth knowing. Both books have excellent content, but I found Scrivener a pleasure to read. And that's basically what you want in a book, isn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic beginning for new EFL teachers., 21 Nov 2011
Robin White (Ashcott) - See all my reviews
Having just finished a CELTA course and being on my way to my first TEFL job abroad, I have to say I love Learning Teaching. Invaluable ideas for class, a wealth of experience from the author (who's obviously a fantastic teacher himself) and a comprehensive guide to the basics of being a decent EFL teacher. Whether you're thinking of doing a CELTA (or a similarly intensive TEFL course, such as the TESOL) or want to head out to teach with only an internet TEFL or for the British council, this textbook is a must have as far as I can see. Helped me through a great deal of assignments on the CELTA and will be by my side whenever I'm lesson planning in country. Top class.

2.0 out of 5 stars The accompanying DVD is useless - is it just my copy?, 25 Oct 2012
I don't understand why no previous reviewer has commented on the fact that the DVD that accompanies this book bears no resemblance whatsoever to the text. I agree entirely that the book itself is well-written, clear and covers all the aspects of teaching English that a new or inexperienced teacher could want. But I have not been able to try out many of the exercises set out in the book for myself due to the irrelevance of the DVD. Is it just my copy that is a dud? For example, p.45 refers to Learning Teaching resources and asks the reader to plan for a lesson using the 'Beach picture' resource. What Beach picture resource? What Learning Teaching Resources? I have no such items on my DVD. And there are countless similar discrepancies. I would dearly love to know what has gone wrong. I had already started making notes in my text book, so I can't return it, but nor can I use it to its full potential. And if anyone wants to sell me a working DVD, I'd love to hear from them!
This has been a costly disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learner Learning, 21 Jun 2012
This book is pretty much all you need to know in order to pass CELTA. It's well written and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars ¡What a complete guide!, 12 Sep 2011
I'm really very pleased that I bought this book! I'm taking my first steps on the language-teaching-path, and the book really helped me relax. I now feel that I have everything at hand to prepare a good lesson, and that only in this one book. Scrivener's way of approaching the job of a teacher appeals to me a lot: "one who carries on his education in public". Scrivener emphasises just that through the whole book: don't feel too pressured, learn from your experiences! Apart from loads of material and ideas, audiovisual examples etc.: I could recommend it to anyone who wants to teach English!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good CELTA book, 4 Mar 2014
This was one of the more useful books on the CELTA course. Much of the lesson advice was used by course tutors. I would recommend it to anyone considering teaching ESL.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 9 May 2013
I choose this product to contribute towards my English teaching qualification next year. I have had a scan of some areas and find th book to be useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars learning Teaching, 13 Feb 2012
Mrs. N. D. Lecuuer (UK) - See all my reviews
The Video which comes with the book, is really educative. Is easy to use, has short chapters, so good if you don't have much time to spend to study

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, 20 Oct 2011
The book arrived on time and in perfect condition and is perfect for my course! Thank you very much for your prompt delivery! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for TEFL, 16 April 2012
This is a really excellent book, you can work through it on your own or as part of a course but every chapter is clear and you can come back to it later to pick up an idea or two (or more).

I used this book as a main text for my CELTA course and it really was excellent. The DVD also gave lots of idea and advice to actually teaching English in the classroom

There's lots of useful stuff in it, my advice? Buy it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›