4.0 out of 5 stars Quite fun!
I got this product for my nephew who is 4. Essentially, you are receiving four small books in a very well presented fold-up style 'space station' bigger book. The top of the main book houses a collection of magnets that can be used to create a visual scenery to compliment the stories you are reading your lil ones!

The magnets are fairly small though, so I...
Published on 18 Jan 2010 by Fireball Dragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not last long...
Published on 18 Feb 2010 by Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite fun!, 18 Jan 2010
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The magnets are fairly small though, so I would advise against giving the product to very young children. There's not much else that can be said about this. The stories are short and simple to follow and I would be lying if I didn't say that I enjoyed them myself!

All-in-all, a very colourful product with friendly characters that should provide sweet dreams all night... 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, magnetic fun, 26 Oct 2009
Ed.F "edz314" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Magnetic Space Station (Board book)
This sturdy fold out book contains 4 separate stories, in addition to a compartment of related magnets. The 'space' theme will appeal to both boys and girls, a bonus as many of these cut out or magnetic books have 'dressing up' themes full of fairy princesses. I can see the magnets, especially the smaller ones, ending up in the vacuum cleaner or under the sofa covers, so if you are a parent who likes to keep books pristine, this isn't for you as I think both the booklets and magnets will take a battering. I would consider buying the other books in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it looks, 24 Mar 2011
PJ (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Honestly this should be great, but it's a let down. Some of the magnets are ludicrously tiny, and some of them are just plain weird, and the space station is just not as interesting or exciting as it could be. But at the end of the day it just doesn't seem to work for any age - the magnets are far to small for very young children, and as they get older there is nothing there to hold their attention. Not very well thought through unfortunately.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not last long..., 18 Feb 2010
Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds "surfingbernard" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This set looks really cool at a glance, there are magnetic characters and objects which can be arranged inside the 'space station' like a two dimensional doll's house in space. The set contains four little story books but to be honest these were not great. My son liked it for about half an hour, but even in that time the thing had started to deteriorate as the card flaps which held the books became misshapen and no longer held the books in. My son who has mild autism found this intolerable!

2.0 out of 5 stars A flawed product, 2 Dec 2009
John Mounsey "Mounsey Web Consultancy" (Sheffield, England.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately I have to agree with most of the negative comments already made here by other reviewers (notably "Supertzar").

On first impression this is a strong product - brightly presented, and certainly "robust" in feel.

However, I am struggling to see which age group will get much out of this too! The small pieces inside a not suitable for the under three's (I cannot remember if it states this on the packaging, but if not it certainly should do!).

On the flip-side, having ordered, received and opened the product, I am decidedly unsure how long this will hold the attention of my four-and-a-half year old son. Nice as the illustrations are, they are, in my opinion more suited to younger children.. which brings us to a "Catch 22" situation - especially if the small pieces ARE unsuitable for the under three's!

The product is well-made but I have decided to keep ours and give it away as a (good) birthday gift sometime soon.

A shame, because the "Magnetic Space Station" concept sounded ideal at first..

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but not thought through properly, 24 Nov 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Looking at the size of the magnets (some are very small), this clearly isn't aimed at very small children. So I'm confused as to why the books are so babyish in their content. I'm sure kids will spend hours playing with the magnet pieces, and for this alone it's very good, but I'd be very surprised if the books got a second reading for older children.

Don't get me wrong - it's well made, and a great idea on paper, but it just doesn't work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a galaxy of fun!, 23 Nov 2009
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was impressed when I first saw this package - it's chunky and well put together, with four tough board books inside, plus a space at the top which contains a lot of different sized magnets.

However when I looked a bit further I was less than pleased. The set contains only one magnetic surface, which is a picture of the inside of a spaceship - basically a kitchen and lounge area. This isn't the most inspiring set up and doesn't really compare favourably with the magnetic books you can get which have four or more double page spreads of magnetic areas with different designs (such as the Muddle series).

In addition, the magnets are aimed at children who are 3 and above (due to small parts), but the story books are very short and simple, and won't hold the attention of a child who is much more than 3, so the set really has a pretty small age range. 4 or 5 year olds will find the stories boring, whilst those under 3 can't play with the magnets!

This is a nice looking set but I'm not convinced that kids will find it much fun for long. However if you have a child (most likely a girl?) who enjoys reading stories and then painstakingly re-acting them out with magnets, or a very creative child who would make up their own stories involving the characters and magnets, then this may be a success.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as muddle ocean and other magnetic books, 20 Nov 2009
David Burton "aenikata" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is unusual in that as well as having a magnetic play area, you have 4 little books to read.

The books use creative names for things, so they're much more ones to be read to small children than ones for the little ones to read themselves. They're not badly done, and my main issue with these is that they're held in with fairly flimsy card holders that almost immediately got torn when pulling the books out.

The magnets are attractively designed, but I would suggest that the size of the smaller pieces means that they could be much more easily swallowed than ones in other magnetic books. They're also that much easier to lose down a sofa or the like, too.

All my kids liked the general theme of it, and liked the idea of robots and a space boy and girl and all that - very Jetsons in a way. Style-wise, it's reasonably attractive.

Again, the remaining issues come down to durability. The holder for the magnets is also designed in a way that is tricky for a young child to open, and quickly got damaged also. resulting in more lost pieces.

Overall, it's attractive, but probably most likely to be suitable for children, say, around 5 years old rather than any younger, because of the risk of swallowing small pieces, the durability issues, and the fact that the books are clearly not designed as early readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Activity reading book., 20 Nov 2009
David A. Nash "Nash aka Taker" (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has been the focus of our bedtime with Luke my youngest loving the easy to handle magnets and the interesting journey of the story.

Boy or Girl wouldn't matter this is a great book for ages upto 5/6

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a group of kids., 19 Nov 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first presented my little one with this, she found it fun playing with the magnets and matching them with the (rather short) stories, however, it didn't seem to hold her interest. Fast forward a few days and she is playing with it with a couple of her friends, making up their own stories and generally competing to see who can come up with the best space tale. In short, they loved it. Normally my little one can keep herself amused quite happily, so why this required a catalyst of a few of her friends I don't know. But its true, give it to her on her own and she isn't that bothered. Introduced some friends and its a whole new ball game.

Best of all for grown ups, all the magnets put away neatly in a box at the top, and the kids liked doing this. I've never seen a game before that the kids find fun to tidy up afterwards!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Magnetic Space Station
My Magnetic Space Station by Joy Gosney (Board book - 2 Oct 2009)
Used & New from: 4.54