Ash

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time coming.
This book has been in the pipeline for quite sometime so I was delighted when it finally was released.
Thankfully Mr Herbert has made the wait worthwhile as I consider this to be his best book in some years.
This is the third novel to feature the parapsychologist David Ash, the first two being "Haunted" and "The Ghosts of Sleath".
It is not necessary to...
Published 22 months ago by M. Crossman

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly ghost-written?
Published 10 months ago by G. Keogh

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly ghost-written?, 11 Sep 2013
G. Keogh (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
I'm certain this was ghost-written (no pun intended!). James Herbert was never a perfect writer, and in particular has always struggled to write convincing romantic plot lines, but Ash was nowhere near his previous writing standard. The premise was good and this could have been either an excellent black comedy, with all the missing celebrities popping up, or it could have been a very creepy horror novel without the celebrities, but in either case the writing would need to improve dramatically.

I quite enjoyed the beginning of the novel and finding out what Comraich Castle was about, but once it became obvious (and it didn't take long) all there was to grip me was finding out what was causing the paranormal activity. Likewise this became obvious very quickly except for minor details and in the end I only kept reading to find out if there was an interesting twist coming. There wasn't.

I skim-read the last 200 pages or so, stopping to read it properly when a passage looked interesting, but was usually disappointed.

I'm going to pretend this was never written and remember James Herbert for his other, much superior, books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
I grew up loving his books, if this is your first look at Herbert please look up his earlier work.

2.0 out of 5 stars not exciting, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
it wasn't as exciting or as riveting as I would expect from mr Herbert. I'm sure it was a good idea at the time

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 Feb 2013
Mr. J. Clements (cardiff,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of James Herbert, and firstly was slightly amazed when I managed to purchase this book a few months back for just 20p.

Having read it I sort of see why it might get heavily discounted. As is typical with Herbert's writing the story meanders along, and probably does concentrate a bit too much on descriptions or areas of the book that you could do without.

The horror side of it seems rushed, and for me that's where more description would have been welcome, but it seems it was not to be.

The story itself evolves into a horror (just) come outlandish tale of bad folks banished to a secluded prison come hospital come retirement home.

I dare say in this modern age you can imagine such a place may exist, but to this degree I just don't buy it.

Not sure what the last two pages were about, Im no royalist but really.

It's a big book and it was heavy going because it just lacked the hook to make it a real story, I only finished it because I don't like not finishing books that I start, but overall I thought it a poor effort from one of my favourite authors.

1.0 out of 5 stars a ghostly disappointment, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
Having read the two previous books I was looking forward to this one. What a disappointment! Now I know I shouldnt complain about a ghost story being far fetched, but come on. Hitler's daughter in the basement, a royal prince in the tower, lord lucan?? Could you throw anymore conspiracy theories in there?!?!

Far too long, predictable 'love story' all in all not the authors best work. If you havent read any of his books before, dont start with this one. The magic cottage is much better!

The kindle version of this book also seemed to gave some gremlins of it's own. I had to repeatedly download it onto my tablet as I kept getting error msgs and text would dissapear......

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this really a James Herbert book?, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
I have been a keen reader of James Herbert's books for many years, but I am so disappointed by Ash. So many basic writing mistakes, I could well believe it was written by a complete and untalented novice writer and not one of horror fiction's masters. The truly terrible dialogue, the meandering and ridiculous plot with shameless padding and pointless info-dumps and infuriating repetition. Count how many times he describes Ash's love interest as having 'raven hair' or Haelstrom's 'massive' head. Just dire and appalling writing.
It gets worse...so much worse to the point of being downright offensive. The author includes real life people into his fictional nightmare, which could cause so much hurt to the innocent families, in particular Princes Harry and William and Lord Lucan's children. Or victims of the Holocaust. And what has he got against sufferes of Parkinson's Disease and Downs Syndrome? And he is ridiculous about the rare and beautiful Scottish Wild Cat, turned from a shy and reclusive solitary hunter, tabby in colour and only slightly larger than a big domestic moggie into ravaging packs of vicious ginger monsters the size of medium dogs? No explanation for this metamorphisis...they are not the result of experiments or radiation leaks...
Just to add to the badness, the instant lurve affair between Ash and Delfine is vomit enducing. Also still puzzled by a so called educated woman born in Brazil of a Brazilian mother, who cannot speak a word of Portuguese....
One of the worse books ever...shame on the publishers and the editors ( if there were any) to let this through to undermine the reputation of one our best horror writers.
Just heard the sad news that James Herbert has just died, far too young. My heart goes out to his wife and family. My belief that Mr Herbert did not write this travesty has been strengthened. Let us remember his work at its best, the great horror novels of his career and not this last book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame., 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Ash (Hardcover)
I never thought James Herbert could write a book that i wouldn't like. I have always regarded him as a brilliant writer and after many eagerly awaited years, grabbed this book at the first opportunity. He starts in his usual style of building the stage to what you think is going to be a good read, only for you to be scratching you head half way through wondering where hes trying to go with the story. It was sadly to far fetched and the plot seemed to go off on tangents that left me wondering why some were added in the first place. :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, but...., 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
...not as bad as some reviews say. Yes, it could have been edited down a bit in places. Yes, some plot items could have been expanded on (Hitler's daughter...). No, the relationship between the two lead characters isn't written terribly well. But it is still readable.
If you have never read James Herbert book, don't start with this one. If you are a fan, read it with a forgiving heart.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Ash (Hardcover)
I have just finished this book after skimming a lot towards the end because I was so bored! I have always been a very big James Herbert fan but this was one of the worst books I have ever read. It started off quite promising but then the storyline became ridiculous! Towards the end the plot was like something out of Indiana jones and not once was I scared.
Very disappointed and will not rush to buy any future books from James Herbert.
Also, does Prince Phillip really use the F word?!

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear, what a let down this book is. I guess the 8 year break Herbert took before writing this shows in his writing. Way over long and padded out with uninteresting descriptions of landscapes and castle interiors. The editor of this book must have been on holiday as it could have easily lost about 200 pages without affecting the wafer thin plot. Also it's completely laughable how women always throw themselves at the David Ash character. Come on, he's not exactly Jack Reacher, more like a Derek Acora (sic) character. What's sexy about a Parasychologist? Especially one with no personality. The dialogue is also dreadful and out of touch with reality. As for the 'controversial' storyline? Oh please. Hitler having a daughter and Lord Lucan still alive? So what. Himmler's daughter's still alive and no one cares about her. If you want an introduction to Herbert's work stick to his brilliant 70's work and early 80's books. I'd hate to think the late James Herbert's lasting memory is this weak book.

Ash
Ash by James Herbert (Paperback - 14 Mar 2013)
3.85