5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious story of noise and fun bursting with colour and life., 4 July 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Here Comes Frankie! (Hardcover)
What a smashing book! Here came Frankie, into our house, and he was an immediate hit. From a gentle start, this story is soon bursting with colour and life. Frankie is a quiet child living in a serene house in a neat street with sensible parents. His dad is able to read in silence for hours while his Mum enjoys peace and quiet with her crossword. As the mother of three (3,6&7) it sounds like bliss but life in Ellington Avenue looks a little dull...... until Frankie decides he'd like to learn the trumpet and as he plays colour creeps into the gorgeously-textured pictures.
The notes from the trumpet are a rainbow of glossy colour, a fruit salad of music bursting forth like a carnival across the pages. And Frankie's parents begin to tap their feet to the music and the street begins to dance. Bright and bold, this book is a refreshing reminder to parents that peace and quiet is not always what it's cracked up to be. Children should be having noisy, and as you can't beat them, join them!
In addition to being a lovely story, this book introduces the thought-provoking idea for preschool and KS1 children (2-7), what colour different sounds might be, the pictures a melody might elicit in your imagination, and what they inspire in your different senses. My daughter (7) was fascinated by the thought that for some people (synaesthetes) sound, colour, shape and smell and so interlinked that that musicians and artists (e.g. Kandinsky) can see and hear their work in a multisensory way. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire your kids imagination...., 2 July 2008
This review is from: Here Comes Frankie! (Hardcover)
Another lovely book from Tim Hopgood. I have bought Our Big Blue Sofa; A Dog Called Rod and now Frankie for my niece and she loves them all. The stories are a delight and the illustrations are so original. Sure to captivate a child's imagination and adults don't tire of reading them too. In this latest book Frankie learns the trumpet and discovers he is a synaesthete who sees and smells music!
PS. Always check inside the front and back covers..full of zany little comments and observations..the funny little things that kids notice and adults miss..except Hopgood, of course!

5.0 out of 5 stars Here comes frankie!, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Here Comes Frankie! (Paperback)
I bought this book because my sons name is frankie and I bought it for him. The book was surprisingly wonderful. Although its a paperback it's more durable than other paperbacks we have. The story of frankies boring quiet parents is pictured really well. The layout of the words on the pages is interesting as its not in the standard layout and is written in different sizes and directions. The usage of colour in the book is fantastic. There are brig vibrant colours as frankie encourages noise in his world and as people embrace it. It is a fantastic story and I highly recommend it to anyone. It's a true celebration of embracing who you are and the things one likes.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Here Comes Frankie! (Paperback)
I love this book. Tim Hopgood has a wonderful way of making quite a complex concept not only accessible but real. The crescendo of colours, smells and sounds is brought to life by the fantastic illustrations and textures in the book. It truly becomes a sensory experience. He has the same expert handling of the text: it is simple and concise yet conveys a sophisticated idea brilliantly. My children love it too, thankfully, as it's one that I'm always happy to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 May 2010
J. Maidment (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Comes Frankie! (Paperback)
After looking at reviews I couldnt resist. It is a lovely book and I would highly recommend it. It works through the sad colours and happy colours. Beautifully written and illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful book I've ever seen..., 17 May 2009
S. L. Martins (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Comes Frankie! (Paperback)
I wrote a dissertation on Synaesthesia 10 years ago and was used to most people having never heard of it. Imagine my surprise when I found it the subject of a children's book. Perhaps children find the concept easier to grasp than grown-ups so all credit to Tim Hopgood for introducing it in this way.

But that's not why I love this book. It's the illustrations, the most outstanding, beautiful, inspirational designs that fill up every inch of every page. If only they had scratch 'n' sniff bits to complete the multi-sensory experience! The pictures seem so restrained sitting within the confines of a book that I want to buy another copy so I can frame some of them for my daughter's wall so they can burst out into her room.

As for the story, there is a page where Frankie's parents are too absorbed in their own pursuits to pay attention to him. It left me feeling a little guilty due to it's familiarity... A reminder that sometimes we should all just put down what we are all doing, whack the stereo on and have a bit of a sing and dance!

Here Comes Frankie!
Here Comes Frankie! by Tim Hopgood (Paperback - 3 April 2009)
Used & New from: 7.16