Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2009
This is a truly original picture book. The pages are orange, and the illustrations are all done in black and white. The little girl enters a haunted house, but far from being scared, she has a unique solution to deal with the ghosts residing there.
A beautiful book, with high-contrast illustrations that will please even the youngest reader, and an unusual enough storyline to grab the interest of an older child.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 March 2014
As with The Midnight Library, Kohara uses black and one other colour (in this case red) as his whole palette. It's very distinctive. And a lovely change.

This sweet tale shows us what happens when a girl and her car move into a house that already contains... ghosts! But little ones needn't worry. My boy perked up as soon as he saw that the girl was a witch who takes charge of the ghosts and settles in.

A simple and brief read. But reassuring and humorous. With a lovely set of illustrations.
on 11 February 2009
Enchanting simply presented story, beautifully illustrated in three colours. It should make anyone smile, whatever their age.
on 23 August 2009
Really nice book, which, my little one loves having read to her over & over again.
on 7 December 2010
My daughters (2 and 4) both love ghosts and monsters & they love this book, they chose it themselves at the book shop. It's very elegant and cool. There's not much text (which I happen to like when I'm being made to read loads of stories) and there's nothing particularly subversive or surprising, no arch jokes for the parents about the truth of life. There is a sort of brisk slapstick story instead. First few pages: 'Once there was a girl who went to live in a big old house at the edge of town. It was a splendid place, but there was one problem. The house was... haunted! But the girl wasn't just a girl. She was a witch. She knew how to catch ghosts. "How lovely," she said. "I hope there are some more!"'
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2013
This is the current favourite in our house! It is a simple and beautifully illustrated story about a little witch who moves into a haunted house. She rids the house of ghosts by putting them in the washing machine and making them into curtains, a tablecloth and a couple of blankets for the bed.

I'll be buying more copies of this book to give as presents and have recommended it to a few parents who have children who are scared of ghosts.

Wonderful.
on 13 August 2015
My son loves this. This is my 4th book by Kazuno Kohara. I love how the illustrations are all very simple with only 3 colours. My son loves all of her books. This is a simple story of how a little witch catches the ghosts in the house, washes them and how she uses them afterwards. A lovely read
on 19 August 2010
This books is good but quite simple, with few words. Would not take long to read through although could be a good starter for discussions. Beautiful lino illustrations.
on 28 December 2012
A little different to the normal kiddy story book, and all the better for it. Bold, interesting illustrations, a simple story and great characters. My kids loved it!
on 23 March 2015
Lovely story and beautiful illustrations. It's a firm favourite in our household, so I bought multiple copies to give as presents.