5.0 out of 5 stars A charming story and a classic song
The illustrations are so charming. My reception class joined in with the chorus as I read and they loved the dragon and were pleased when he found a new play mate. They enjoyed the song so much they asked for it to be played again. They then hummed the tune during the afternoon. My colleague and I felt nostalgic as we were teenagers when the song was first released. A...
Published on 13 Sep 2007 by J. White

3.0 out of 5 stars puff the dragon
Bought this book for my 3 yr old and 4 yr old sons. They loved the cd with the song on it and have played it a lot since getting the book but the book itself hasn't ben looked at since the first day and they never pick it as the bedtime story they much prefer to just listen to the cd and sing along.
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by A. Graves

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD) (Paperback)
My now 4 year old son loves this book & CD. How lovely to find something that bridges the generations. Think a few reviewers have missed the point, the story is told in the words of the song (the original). The illustrations are gorgeous, and provide (as do lots of books) talking points and opportunities to create your own stories and ideas. Books are not just for reading from cover to cover! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 20 Dec 2011
Michael Humphreys (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
my three year old loves this book, and I really enjoy reading it to her, we also listen to it with the 10 month old baby and we all sing and clap together...its a great all round family book with magical pictures and tthe CD is really nice too with additional songs - and its by the original authors of the story

4.0 out of 5 stars Puff the Magic Dragon, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD) (Paperback)
This was a purchase for a three year old and the illustrations are marvelous and the CD is ideal for a child to learn to sing to.

However as a soft-back volume it might not last in a fair condition for quite as long as a hard-back book.

5.0 out of 5 stars puff the magic dragon, 3 Jun 2011
N. H. Mcleay "bookworm mcleay" (brechin, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD) (Paperback)
bought this for great grandchildren for easter they loved it asked me to play it again and again and left here with mum playing it on her cd player in the car a gteat success
CD and illustrations in book absolutely wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic story and beautiful CD, 27 May 2011
L. Hunter (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD) (Paperback)
This is a lovely story and the CD with the music is great. My 3 year old son loves it, he's a bit a digger and tractor boy so I was surprised he liked this so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Note:, 7 Sep 2010
Mr. S. May "Simon May" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
For those who are not aware. The author is Peter Yarrow, one of the members of Peter, Paul and Mary, who wrote the original song.
The song is based on a friends poem, and more details can be found on Wikipedia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic dragon, 6 Feb 2009
A wonderfully illustrated version of this lovely story/song, our little one thought it was just fab!

4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly saccharine version of the beautiful original, 22 Nov 2007
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews
I loved Puff as a child. It brought tears to my eyes even remembering the song when I placed the order for this book for my four year-old son. However, I was somewhat disappointed by both the book and the CD when they arrived.

This is a large hardback book which I feel doesn't really warrant the size and space. There are 2 to 4 lines of the original song written and illustrated on each double page. Bearing in mind that there is a lot of repetition of the chorus, this makes the book seem quite barren. The emptiness is not helped by the illustrations which seem quite plain with a limited colour palate.

My main complaint is with the changes to the poem. Maybe the writer has modified it because he had a daughter and wanted to involve girls in the story. It just comes over as appalling, unnecessary political correctness. The line:
"A dragon lives forever but not so little boys"
has morphed into
"A dragon lives forever but not so little girls and boys"
It scans awfully. Listening to the CD was painful at this point.

There is also the implication in the last two drawings that a little girl comes along and befriends Puff who is then happy again. The tragedy of the song was its strength and appeal, this addition makes it quite mediocre. I don't see that all children's stories have to have a happy ending. Why was the author so terrified of letting children learn about feelings of loss and sadness in the safe, experimental world of fiction?

Aside from my disappointment with the book, my son was not overly impressed. He did start to empathise with Puff when his friend didn't come back. However, as soon as the happy ending kicked in he simply began asking which story we were having next. I can't help but wonder if the unadulterated original would have been more satisfying for him.

I've given the book 4 stars mainly because the original song was lovely. Providing I try to ignore the awkward new line and the saccharine happy ending I can still enjoy Puff. However, I feel that I am enjoying the song/poem in spite of the book rather than because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sniff, 16 Nov 2007
Have a hankie handy if you're coming to this book as a new(ish) parent and remember it fondly from your own childhood. Be prepared to cry hot tears of grief for lost youth and the overwhelming finality of Puff slipping sadly into his cave. But all is not lost; Little Jackie Paper lives on thro' his own daughter and her discovery of Puff (hope I'm not giving too much away - it's a short story), cleverly embellished at the end by illustration only. And the illustrations are some of the most original I've seen. The song remains hopelessly sad. Poignantly, Peter Yarrow is accompanied in this new recording by his own daughter. It all fits together perfectly. Love it to bits. All good children (and even the naughty ones) deserve a copy of this book and cd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favourite, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD) (Paperback)
I always loved this story/song as a child and got it for my young son who loves dragons. Beautifully illustrated. Great CD. Really pleased with this purchase

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD)
Puff, the Magic Dragon (Book & CD) by Lenny Lipton (Paperback - 5 Sep 2008)
3.85