5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for beginner or fellow theorist, 14 Feb 2007
I'm doing my dissertation on nationalism and this book is a fantastic resource. It covers in some depth the views for/against most of the major theories, primordialism, instrumentalism, the modernists and ethno-symbolists and gives an excellent further reading list for all of these topics. Its also written very well indeed, with the author providing useful explanations and interpretations of all the major theories - which in themselves are sometimes hard to comprehend.

This book possibly does waver between being open to a wider audience and fellow sociologists and others. However, its quite easy to read and very engaging so I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the topic. Certainly I'd say it was an essential first stop if you're researching the topic like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 18 Jun 2003
William Fross (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am thinking of writing my undergraduate dissertation on Nationalism in Japan, and having never studied nationalism, I thought this book might be a good start. It is written clearly, and I can understand most of it at first glance; and the theories and criticisms are covered and explained systematically and comprehensively. However, I was occasionally left a little lost- this is probably best to read if you're doing an introductory course on nationalism as well. Reading it with no other guidance has left me slightly uncertain as to some of the explanations and opinions offered. I was left confused as to the author's intended audience- did he write for fellow theorists of nationalism, or a wider readership?
Still, despite such uncertainties, it has helped me to understand the intricacies of differing theories of nationalism and the concept of the nation, so on those grounds alone, it is worth it, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 16 Dec 2011
A. A. Jaffer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theories of Nationalism: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
Excellent condition! Thanks a lot mate. Came within days as expected and in awesome condition. The book considers primordialism, ethnosymbolism and consociationalism as perspectives on conflict. It has incorporated works of other writers and scholars too. Mostly a constructivist view of managing conflict.

Theories of Nationalism: A Critical Introduction
Theories of Nationalism: A Critical Introduction by Umut Ozkirimli (Paperback - 17 Mar 2010)