5.0 out of 5 stars Another super book from Jill Murphy!
Poor Mr Bear is having trouble getting to sleep, which may strike a chord with some!

From the back cover:-

'The hour was late and Mr Bear was tired.
But he could not sleep - however he tried and whatever he tried.
Snore, Snore went Mrs Bear.
Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock went the clock.
Would he never get to sleep?

For this new...
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by A Customer of AMAZON-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Book ok but found cheaper after purchase
The book was in mint condition and have no grumbles there but ended up paying a lot more than wanted to due to p&p. Found cheaper in a high street store after we bought it.
Published 4 months ago by Mrs Sanderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another super book from Jill Murphy!, 23 Nov 2010

From the back cover:-

'The hour was late and Mr Bear was tired.
But he could not sleep - however he tried and whatever he tried.
Snore, Snore went Mrs Bear.
Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock went the clock.
Would he never get to sleep?

For this new edition of her picture book classic,
Jill Murphy has carefully restored all the artwork.'

Beautifully written and illustrated with Jill Murphy's characteristic warmth and subtle humour!
The second book, featuring Mrs Bear and Baby Bear, is 'Whatever Next!', which has also become a picture book classic.'

24 shiny high quality pages in the popular 2-page spread format.
Clear text is on the left hand page with the main pictures on the right hand page, so suitably predictable for the younger reader who is eager to turn the page!
Wonderfully illustrated throughout, from the cover illustration with Mrs Bear in her hairnet, this book is further enhanced by meaningful facial expressions! The black and white drawings further add to this delightful book!

Example of text:-

'The hour was late.

Mr Bear was tried
Mrs Bear was tired
and
Baby Bear was tired....
...so they all went to bed.

Mrs Bear fell asleep.
Mr Bear didn't.
Mrs Bear began to snore.
"SNORE," went Mrs Bear.
"SNORE, SNORE, SNORE."
"Oh NO!" said Mr Bear,
"I can't stand THIS."
So he got up and went to
sleep in Baby Bear's room......'

But it is too noisy in there, too......so poor Mr Bear puts on his dressing gown, takes his pillow and goes here and there, on what proves to be rather a long mission to find somewhere peaceful to sleep......

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes...I CAN stand this book night after night, it's brilliant!, 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
This is a firm favourite bedtime story book in our house. It is about Mr Bear's constant attempts to find enough peace to get a good night's sleep and the noises in each area of the home. It has great humour for pre-school children.

The illustrations are appealing, friendly and hold enough detail to enjoy and see new things. without being too cluttered or busy.

It is a perfect length for a bedtime story and is ideal for pre-school children for when they first start being read proper stories and then through until I don't know when, because we haven't reached that time yet having owned the book for almost two years now and it still gets read frequently.

My little one loves to join in the noises that happen in the book, from "tick-tock" to the noise of pretending to be an aeroplane.

It is also a lovely book as a parent to read out loud.

My daughter appeared able to recite before her ability to speak was developed/very clear at 2 and a bit years old, which was a great help on a trip to hospital when we forgot the book, as we could remember the whole story and say it together and adapt it for the noises in the hospital. I was unsure at first with Mr Bear's catchphrase "Oh no...I can't stand this" as being an appropriate phrase for my daughter to learn, but she only seemed to use it within the context of the story or if we joked about something referring back to Mr Bear's reaction to noises he didn't like, it didn't enter her regular language/expression.

And as every good bedtime story book should, it ends up with Mr Bear in bed (even if it is morning), cue sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
A lovely story and illustrated so nicely am very pleased with it and my little grandaughter of three loves it,she already has another story by same authur.

5.0 out of 5 stars We read this over and over and over, 28 Mar 2000
P. Lawes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace at Last (Board book)
My 18mnth old loves this book, knows all the noises, picks out all the picture details and can even do a good impression of 'Oh no! said Mr Bear'. A great companion to Whatever Next (also 5 star). Please Jill write/draw some more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life in our house, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
This is documentary about life in our house. The humans have been changed to bears to protect our identities.

I agree with others who say it's a good book with an abrupt ending, but at the same time, how else is a bad nights sleep meant to end? Worth getting if you are like our family as a way of explaining why dad sometimes ends up in the living room looking tired!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
I read this as a child and my daughter loves it also. Nice story with lots of things to point at to teach words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace at Last, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
I love this book as do my children. I delightful little story! I buy this as a gift for any new baby I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
Jill Murphy's books are always a delight both for children and adults. Her illustrations are wonderful and her insight into family life is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
Bought for my grandson who stays on a regular basis with us. Remembered reading this book to his daddy when he was a little boy. grandson loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
I had this book as a child so I bought it for my little one and he loves it ... So much so we have to read it every night before bed!

Peace At Last
Peace At Last by Jill Murphy (Hardcover - 6 July 2007)
Used & New from: 4.29